Week 7: NE Pats vs NY Jets MNF

Bobby816

Tough matchup here after a good win last week. The bad news its the Pats who are undefeated and the defense for them has been very good. And you know Brady is still Brady.

The good news is still the good news though for us. Still have most of our players back and hopefully the team can still grow as the year goes on. This is just a tough test for us before an easier schedule the rest of the way really.

Mosley and Herndon are questionable but I doubt they play, so that makes it even harder.

What I will be watching for is obviously Darnold just getting better and better and Lewis and Edoga on the OL.

Prediction... NE 24 NYJ 17

I expect us to lose but not get embarrassed. Which will be good for us on national TV.

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Plays about a quarter of our snaps. Not been favored really. 

If we don't get receivers/TEs healthy, this is a bigger boost for NY

Didn't think he was much of a factor this year, appreciate the feedback. 

What's the status with Gordon? Any other major question marks for Monday night? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If Sam plays like last week no reason we can't sneak out the upset.  It has to be great Sam though, just average Sam and we likely lose.  Really need to get Mosley and/or Herndon back ASAP.

Agreed, and Gase needs to call another aggressive game, perhaps even more aggressive than last week. You just can't play conservative against BB. 

I don't see us winning with our defense. We're just poorly suited to face the Pats' offense. Our CBs are not good at all, we give up the underneath routes all day, and we cannot pressure the QB without sending the house. Whether we win our not will depend entirely on how well Sam plays. If he eeks this one out, he's going to be a star.

• Like 1

I think the Jets are winning. Already put in my ML bet.

Darnold balances the disfunction that is the Jets. Yes the Pats defense has been great, but look who they’ve played: an injured Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick/Rosen,  Falk, Allen/Barkley, McCoy, and rookie Daniel Jones. I’m not discrediting them by any means, but the combo of Darnold/Bell is going to be the best backfield they’ve faced and it’s not close. 

I think this is one of the rare circumstances where the long layoff hurts the Pats. It’s a trap game for them. They’re undefeated but their offense hasn’t been consistent. They lead the league with 31.7 PPG, but lead the league with 5 DST TDs; that is not sustainable. Brady is still Brady, but he’s been human and may be without Josh Gordon this week. 

Conversely, our team is on a high. The offense played well against a talented albeit inconsistent Cowboys defense. The defense was bend-not-break and made critical plays when they mattered. Mosley returning will be a significant boost. It will allow us to get really creative, and we’ll probably see a lot of 2-4-5 with Mosley/Hewitt/Cashman/Adams all blitz options but also drop back to cover peeling RBs/TEs. It will create a lot of matchup problems. Also, with the way Maye has been playing, watch out for him; won’t be surprised if he has a pick-6.

Not many times where you’ll catch me saying that I can’t wait until Monday, but it’s one of those weeks. Amped for this game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't see us winning with our defense. We're just poorly suited to face the Pats' offense. Our CBs are not good at all, we give up the underneath routes all day, and we cannot pressure the QB without sending the house. Whether we win our not will depend entirely on how well Sam plays. If he eeks this one out, he's going to be a star.

We seem to have issues with their offense especially getting off the field on 3rd down.  Only thing we can hope for is to double Edleman, continue our good run defense, and hope we don't get torched by White out of the backfield.  If Gordon is out and so is Dorsett that will help.  

It all boils down to Sam again.  We're gonna need high 20's low 30's to have a chance because we likely aren't keeping them under 20 points defensively.

6 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Mosley will do individual drills tomorrow at practice. I really, really hope he's able to go vs the pats. 

We were teased for a bit week 1 seeing a elite lber performance.  Cj Mosely is a multiple time all pro for a reason,  we need him back.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the Jets are winning. Already put in my ML bet.

Darnold balances the disfunction that is the Jets. Yes the Pats defense has been great, but look who they’ve played: an injured Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick/Rosen,  Falk, Allen/Barkley, McCoy, and rookie Daniel Jones. I’m not discrediting them by any means, but the combo of Darnold/Bell is going to be the best backfield they’ve faced and it’s not close. 

I think this is one of the rare circumstances where the long layoff hurts the Pats. It’s a trap game for them. They’re undefeated but their offense hasn’t been consistent. They lead the league with 31.7 PPG, but lead the league with 5 DST TDs; that is not sustainable. Brady is still Brady, but he’s been human and may be without Josh Gordon this week. 

Conversely, our team is on a high. The offense played well against a talented albeit inconsistent Cowboys defense. The defense was bend-not-break and made critical plays when they mattered. Mosley returning will be a significant boost. It will allow us to get really creative, and we’ll probably see a lot of 2-4-5 with Mosley/Hewitt/Cashman/Adams all blitz options but also drop back to cover peeling RBs/TEs. It will create a lot of matchup problems. Also, with the way Maye has been playing, watch out for him; won’t be surprised if he has a pick-6.

Not many times where you’ll catch me saying that I can’t wait until Monday, but it’s one of those weeks. Amped for this game.

I hope you're right. Few things that I don't like for us in this game is that w ehavent got to the passer. And to let the best QB ever have all day to throw isn't a good recipe. On top of that we don't have a good secondary to make up for the lack of pass rush. Only way we create pressure is by blitzing those valuable guys in coverage it seems.... aloowing Brady to get rid of the ball fast and hurt us.

I will agree that we should be able to score on them. The NE defense isn't as good as it seems. Bc of like you said who they have played (they have been great for me in fantasy football though ;) ).

Like I stated I don't care if we win. But I do want Darnold to keep looking very good. The OL to hold up. And to see guys make plays.

I just think in the end. They have more of what it takes to win a game like this.