Week 7 (TNF) GDT: Chiefs @ Broncos

champ11

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This really is the key.

The Chiefs have been held under 23 minutes time of possession in their two losses. The last 50 teams to be held under 23 mins TOP are 6-44 as per John Breech from CBS. We absolutely have to dominate the TOP.

Sure, that means us running the ball very effectively. We know this. But eventually the Chiefs are going to crowd the LOS and we HAVE to make plays in the passing game on 3rd and short. Keenum was truly atrocious at this. Joe has improved us yet we will have to be a lot better than we were in the 2nd half of our last 2 games.

I just can't pick us to win a game against an Offense like the Chiefs have, unfortunately.

Yeah I hear you it’s why I can’t call a KC L either.  The thing is everyone has known the way to beat KC is to keep Mahomes off the field.  The diff being Now  that the D is so decimated it’s been a very simple task.   

But KC has a new DC the old one (Bob Sutton) didn’t have any ability to adjust.  Time to see what the new guy has in store.   

Edited by Broncofan

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I hear you it’s why I can’t call a KC L either.  The thing is everyone has known the way to beat KC is to keep Mahomes off the field.  The diff being Now  that the D is so decimated it’s been a very simple task.   

But KC has a new DC the old one (Bob Sutton) didn’t have any ability to adjust.  Time to see what the new guy has in store.   

Part of why KC was off the field so much vs the Texans was their stubbornness in not attacking the short passing game.  The Texans DBs were giving ridiculous cushion to receivers the majority of the game.  KC could’ve dinked and dunked all game long and won that game.  However, it doesn’t seem to be in Mahomes or Reid’s DNA to not attack the field vertically on almost every play and it can turn into an issue, like it did vs the Texans when they were selling out to prevent a big play and KC continued trying to make one instead of taking what the defense was giving them.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Part of why KC was off the field so much vs the Texans was their stubbornness in not attacking the short passing game.  The Texans DBs were giving ridiculous cushion to receivers the majority of the game.  KC could’ve dinked and dunked all game long and won that game.  However, it doesn’t seem to be in Mahomes or Reid’s DNA to not attack the field vertically on almost every play and it can turn into an issue, like it did vs the Texans when they were selling out to prevent a big play and KC continued trying to make one instead of taking what the defense was giving them.

I have to say that while I think Andy Reid (and his disciple Doug Pederson) and Kyle Shanahan (not JimmyG, but making guys with OK to meh talent play up) are my top 3 guys for developing QB talent (and Reid gets the nod for longevity), and he's up there with BB in terms of pre-game weekly preparation (draws up a great initial game plan) - unlike Pederson (who I put there with BB & John Harbaugh), Reid's a bottom 10 at in-game adjustments and clock management.   And it showed again last week.   Just take what the HOU DB's give you.  Now, there was some bad luck (HOU INT was because Mahomes thought there was a free play, and the refs picked up the flag, so oops), but yeah, that's a huge flaw in Reid's coaching profile.    The thing is, we're not great at that part, either - but it's understandable in DEN's case, we have rookie HC/OC's.   

I will always remember Reid plodding down the field in the 2015 Divisional playoff game down 2 scores to NE for a 5+ minute drive with just over 6 minutes to go, HUDDLING UP, meanwhile leaving an onside kick as their only chance to win.   Not having a legit D has always been pointed as to the reason Reid couldn't get it done in KC up until now, but his in-game adjustments (or lack thereof - also I recall that WC meltdown being up 3 scores at halftime), and total failure at clock management deserve mention & credit to their shortfalls (and last week was a really good example again).  SMH...

Edited by Broncofan

Am I missing something here? The spread on this game is only 3 points, and I feel like I'm an idiot if I don't at least bet my first born on the Chiefs, even with how banged up their defense is. 

I don't think we can cover Kelce and Hill. I expect kelce to have a field day on AJ Johnson (and I'm a huge fan of AJ) and Hill to treat our backfield like his first born son. 

12 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Am I missing something here? The spread on this game is only 3 points, and I feel like I'm an idiot if I don't at least bet my first born on the Chiefs, even with how banged up their defense is. 

I don't think we can cover Kelce and Hill. I expect kelce to have a field day on AJ Johnson (and I'm a huge fan of AJ) and Hill to treat our backfield like his first born son. 

KC's offensive line is a sieve right now and Mahomes' mobility is limited with the ankle injury. Mahomes needs time to either scramble and create or hang in the pocket to hit Kelce and their fast receivers downfield. Run game has been pretty much non-existent. I think it will come down to how they defend the screen game. Should be a close. game. 

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Look at their personnel. Bunch of fast receivers and the biggest gunslinger in football. They want to attack downfield, and they're not in their comfort zone when they're unable to do that. With the OL injuries for KC, the Broncos should be able to make Mahomes uncomfortable in the pocket and Vic's defense is built to take away the deep ball. 

48 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Look at their personnel. Bunch of fast receivers and the biggest gunslinger in football. They want to attack downfield, and they're not in their comfort zone when they're unable to do that. With the OL injuries for KC, the Broncos should be able to make Mahomes uncomfortable in the pocket and Vic's defense is built to take away the deep ball. 

Well the reason they have struggled is because teams have not been rushing Mahommes and playing a bunch of DBs in man coverage. Forcing Mahommes to have to make contested throws. My issue with this in DEN is that the secondary is so unbelievably banged up that random guys like Pringle/Robinson could easily find room against man coverage from Yiadom/The Other Random guy with dreds.

Im not sure if Coty Sensabaugh is going to be playing or not, but at very least he would provide a capable veteran back there to help with those guys if CHJ is locking up with Hill the whole game. I also think the combo of Simmons/AJ could limit Kelce a bit if they execute properly. AJ loves physicality so I suspect there will be a lot of jamming from him off of the LOS and Simmons coming down to take him.

Either way the Broncos are going to need to execute. Plain and simple. I think they have the talent to get it done--they just cant have lapses where they let Mahommes strike fast. This Broncos offense is not built to play from behind with catching up so they need to make sure they control the clock on offense and limit KCs chances. This game almost feels like the same blueprint that they would apply against all of those Patriots teams in the playoffs over the years. Tight coverage, control the clock, no turnovers.

You win this game---the year is salvaged to a degree. You lose this game---then its time to start looking at mock drafts. It needs to be treated like the SuperBowl from the players that this is THE make or break game for the season.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Our D could abuse Mahomes...I'd like to see sacks, interceptions, fumbles. I don't want to see him get injured.

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You win this game---the year is salvaged to a degree. You lose this game---then its time to start looking at mock drafts. It needs to be treated like the SuperBowl from the players that this is THE make or break game for the season.

Agreed with this whole post I think a loss in this game means a seller's mentality soon follows. 

A few major points:

-Gotsis' status as a failed bust Day 2 pick seems in the books at this stage, as another healthy inactive.

-Callahan looks more & more like a lost year, not just half-season.

-James missing more time sucks, but frankly, he's a future investment for 2020+, so let's get him right.   And yes, losing Callahan for the entire year and James for another 1-2 games will actually help our comp pick returns for 2020, so in a season where we won't be contending, I'll take it.

The official list (plus Calvin Anderson):

Edited by Broncofan