Should the NL implement the DH?

NewAge

DH in the NL?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. DH in the NL?

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I keep hearing the "strategy" part of the game, and used to think that myself, but just don't get it any more. The "strategy" only comes from having someone so godawful that it's hard to watch.

If the NBA required that each team play with one randomly selected member of the audience for 5 minutes, there would be more strategy in the game. Do you put the fact middle aged white father of 3 with your best players or your worst? Do you play him only when the other team is also playing a fat middle aged with father of 3 or are you willing to go 5 on 4 because you'll get a 5 on 4 later? Way more thinking.

And also way more terrible.

Perhaps. But I like managers put into a conundrum, I like that opposing managers can force your hand. Like I said, I don't mind watching pitchers trying to hit. So that's probably a good chunk of it. If it bothers you, then obviously there will be a huge fundamental difference of opinion there. 

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Perhaps. But I like managers put into a conundrum, I like that opposing managers can force your hand. Like I said, I don't mind watching pitchers trying to hit. So that's probably a good chunk of it. If it bothers you, then obviously there will be a huge fundamental difference of opinion there. 

Even if you can get through the ABs, you're only getting 54 outs in a baseball game. And 4 of them are eaten up. That's 8% of the game that is just "meh".

I don't know, if you're a NL team it gives you a slight line up advantage. It's a lot easier for NL teams to find a DH when they cross over but it harder for an AL team to figure out how to insert their DH into the game.

look at the World Series last year. They experimented with Sanatana in LF so they wouldn't lose his bat while in Chicago. Luckily it never hurt them but it allowed for something bizarre to potentially happen. It was the only time he has played OF in his pro career and that was since 08/09 I believe 

At this point in time, I would say yes. Some of the reason why is that with all of the arm injuries for pitchers and the lack of pitching generally league round, don't make them swing a bat/run more than needed, seems odd, but they are really specialized in one thing, why make them do something else.

Plus, there's talk about more strategy, most of the time the strategy is to have the pitcher swing and hope to get lucky hitting the ball, or if there's someone on base, bunt and hope that they bunt the ball. It's generally not additional strategy, it mainly is "strategy" when it comes to switching around the line-up which isn't really strategy, it's take out your worst player that is furthest away from batting again and pinch hit someone into their position.

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

Why is it anymore arbitrary then saying other fielders have to hit?

bc that's what they're paid to do--field and hit at a professional level for our entertainment

pitchers may as well be goaltenders or offensive lineman, let them do their own thing that they're paid to do.

maybe it's not pure sport or whatever but I value entertainment over fuzzy concepts like that

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

bc that's what they're paid to do--field and hit at a professional level for our entertainment

pitchers may as well be goaltenders or offensive lineman, let them do their own thing that they're paid to do.

maybe it's not pure sport or whatever but I value entertainment over fuzzy concepts like that

why hit and field, why not just let the best defensive guys play the field and the best hitters stay on the bench until their AB is coming up?

12 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why hit and field, why not just let the best defensive guys play the field and the best hitters stay on the bench until their AB is coming up?

Because pretty much all baseball players can field at a professional level

Pitchers cannot hit at a professional level nor do they have the time to hone that craft

Archived