Week 7: Jags

theJ

47 minutes ago, theJ said:

Jags win, 27-13.  Fournette runs for 180 and 2 TD's.

Very curious to see how Fournette does.  Our LBs are horrible but they seem to be less horrible about stopping runs up the middle vs. stretch/outside zone runs.

I looked back at 'similar' RBs to Fournette (for fantasy/DFS reasons) against the Bengals and I saw:

• Chris Carson: 15/46
  • James Connor: 10/42
  • Mark Ingram: 13/52

It's been Kyler, LJax, Jaylen Samuels (wildcat), the entire 49ers outside zone scheme that's killed us on the ground...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Very curious to see how Fournette does.  Our LBs are horrible but they seem to be less horrible about stopping runs up the middle vs. stretch/outside zone runs.

I looked back at 'similar' RBs to Fournette (for fantasy/DFS reasons) against the Bengals and I saw:

• Chris Carson: 15/46
  • James Connor: 10/42
  • Mark Ingram: 13/52

It's been Kyler, LJax, Jaylen Samuels (wildcat), the entire 49ers outside zone scheme that's killed us on the ground...

Point well taken.

I had to look up Fournette's charts to see how they've been running him.  They've run him outside quite a bit, he just hasn't been successful at it.  It's going to be one of those "what gives first" scenarios i think.

Personally i'll bet on the Bengals to lose contain.  Fournette isn't a burner, but if the Jags are intent on getting him outside of the hashes, i think he'll find the Bengals LB's out of position and too slow to catch him.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/leonard-fournette/FOU564970

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Bengals win 23-22 purely because you picked the Jags in the Eliminator pool

I picked against the Bengals in week 5 too and our featless season remained intact.

But, you're probably right.  If so, i'm sorry in advance.  I want that #1 pick too.

Honestly the only sliver of hope the Bengals have is that Cordy and AJ come back this week and provide a huge spark.  They're really beat up on defense at the moment (will they have a healthy 46 man roster?), which is just going to make a bad situation worse.  Who are they even going to start at corner?  Dennard in his first week back?  McCrae?  Shawn Williams is playing on one leg.  Dunlap i'm assuming is still hurt.  Atkins and Lawson have been non-factors.  Hubbard had a great week 1, and has been taken advantage of lately in the run game.  It's just a mess.

On offense, Andy is flinching in his sleep.  Their whole offense last week was throwing back shoulder catches to Auden Tate.  Eifert and Gio are starring on the milk carton.  Joe Mixon is getting hit in the backfield on every single carry and has forgotten how to break tackles.  The only positives so far this year have been Boyd, Hopkins and Tate.  

I can't see a path toward them winning this game.  It would have to be some really wild stuff.

AJ didn't practice today. So he's probably out. 

Cordy practiced in full. If he does so again tomorrow, he'll probably play. But...I don't expect hes going to come in and save this line. He's been out of football for two months now, unable to practice or even work out. I expect hes going to be pretty bad. Or at best, rotate time with Jerry. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

The birth of the next Tom Brady in this game: Ryan Finley. 

Dalton’s mobility will get destroyed against the Jags D Line. 

So are you predicting that Andy gets hurt?

I'd almost prefer that Finley never gets a shot this year.  The worst thing that could happen to the Bengals is that Finley plays, wins a few games, and the team is fooled into passing on a QB in this years draft.  He's not the answer.

12 hours ago, theJ said:

At this point they obviously should have put AJ on IR. I doubt they bring him back the week before the bye (next week). So we'll see him in week 10. 

For an ankle sprain. 14 weeks. Jeez that's frustrating. 

He had surgery on it.  Not just a normal sprain

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

He had surgery on it.  Not just a normal sprain

Sure, but when you see the guy running and doing the exercises we've all seen the videos of 4 weeks ago, you start to wonder if this is a business decision.