Week 7: Jags

theJ

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Taking it one step further, Taylor should have never let Pollack leave.  If he had been retained, this offense wouldn't be in this position.

Agree with the sentiment, but I don't know how much better Pollack could have gotten these guys to play.  Mixon would be in much better shape for sure, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

Taking it one step further, Taylor should have never let Pollack leave.  If he had been retained, this offense wouldn't be in this position.

If we keep the same staff this offseason I think I'll officially hop off the Taylor bandwagon. Even though I'm tempted to do that right now, I'll give him some time. 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Agree with the sentiment, but I don't know how much better Pollack could have gotten these guys to play.  Mixon would be in much better shape for sure, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop

I don't expect that they would have been good, and the LT situation still would have bombed the offense.  Losing Boling really hurt too.  But they improved at Center, and the RG/RT situation is same as last year.  It's bad, but they shouldn't be on pace to set historic low levels of rushing offense.  So i lay a bunch of this at Turner's feet.  

To be clear, i don't think it would chicken salad with Pollack either.  But i think he'd be closer to 4.0 YPC than the 3.0 YPC we're seeing now.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

We have no idea what we're doing. There is no plan. Oh and by the way, we also spent a 2nd round pick on a TE we don't use to help out a running game that doesn't work. There's also a group of TEs drafted after Sample who are starting to look like better players (Knox, Moreau).

This is driving me more crazy than the poor play.  The draft picks aren't playing (Sample, Pratt), the guys they spent money during the off season (Uzomah, Bernard) aren't playing.  It's a cluster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

If we keep the same staff this offseason I think I'll officially hop off the Taylor bandwagon. Even though I'm tempted to do that right now, I'll give him some time. 

I'm waiting until the offseason too.  There's really nothing to be gained from firing staff right now.  And i would be put off more if he started throwing guys under the bus mid-season.  He has to remain positive and upbeat.

But if they retain Turner and some of the other guys going into next year, i'll be done with Taylor too.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

This is driving me more crazy than the poor play.  The draft picks aren't playing (Sample, Pratt), the guys they spent money during the off season (Uzomah, Bernard) aren't playing.  It's a cluster.

We knew with Taylor coming in that the Rams-style of offense doesn't put much emphasis on TE play. Yet we resign Uzomah and Eifert (albeit who's far from an in line TE), and draft Sample with a premium pick. Even when two starting WRs are injured, we still don't adapt to use the tight end. 

It makes no sense. There is no cohesion between the FO and the coaching.

• Like 1

Pass blocking was about as good as we could hope yesterday.  Run blocking was embarrassing.  Not sure if it's all lack of talent or if play calling and execution are major factors. The play calling does not seem to give us the best chance to win. 

Defensively,  we were getting good pass rush,  but Beowulf easily escaped the pocket from those lanes created.  Were we losing our gap discipline or was the o line getting us there by design? 

I feel like the game was lost on a penalty in the third. We were moving the ball well (through the air) and Jax was offsides,  so we had a free play.  Tried to go to the endzone, but fell incomplete.  Unfortunately,  free plays only work if you don't get a 15 yard personal foul for a chop block.  Boyd fumbled one play later trying to make it up. Never looked like we were in a rhythm after that and turned the ball over several more times trying to make plays to get it back.  

I think Zac Taylor is good at play design, but play calling, personnel groupings, etc... he's been awful at.  Should have been expected since this is his first time play calling; it looks like we'll have to deal with it this season and hope that with experience he'll improve next season (or humble himself and give up play calling duties, which I doubt).

Also, this is egregiously bad...

19 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Also, this is egregiously bad...

I saw this too.  I don't get it.  Gio is a good runner, and Mixon a serviceable pass catcher/blocker.  There shouldn't be any reason for the predictability.

• Like 1