Week 7 GDT: Chargers(2-4) @ Titans(2-4)

ttitansfan4life

12 hours ago, Kookie23 said:

latest?cb=20090905015550

I couldn't resist lol

I didn't remember what I wrote as I was looking at your picture and was trying to figure out if that was off Skyrim or something lol.

But that's exactly what I thought as I was writing it too.

Edited by TitanSS

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

All if this is 100% speculation because we could look exactly the same this week as we did previously, but if we come out in this game with more 11 personnel, throwing more on first down, and just looking different offensively, are people going to:

A.) Blame the coaching staff and say "Why didn't we do this with Mariota to give him a chance to succeed?"

B.) Blame Mariota as the reason for some of the play-calling and come to the conclusion that we avoided that type of offense to protect him.

C.) Other. Explain.

I think a combo of a and B. 

We've seen him look better in hurry up spread. So why not try to maximize that set. 

Then blame Marcus for not being able to handle whatever or overcome. 

• Like 1

3 straight coaching staffs have said(well..not literally said, but "said through playcalling") that Mariota can't handle running a spread offense with consistency. The old school guy in Mularkey, the McVay/Shanahan disciple in LaFleur and the mix in Smith.

Maybe it's time to just admit that just because us fans think he'd be really good running that full time doesn't mean he actually would be. When 3 drastically different coaches all come to the same conclusion..well..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

3 straight coaching staffs have said(well..not literally said, but "said through playcalling") that Mariota can't handle running a spread offense with consistency. The old school guy in Mularkey, the McVay/Shanahan disciple in LaFleur and the mix in Smith.

Maybe it's time to just admit that just because us fans think he'd be really good running that full time doesn't mean he actually would be. When 3 drastically different coaches all come to the same conclusion..well..

Yeah. You are right. 

But when I see a team like the Cardinals or Ravens really forming their offense around a type of player or drafting a player to specifically fit what they do, I ask why can't you( coaching staff) do the same?

And it's no telling if what the Cardinals and Ravens are doing will work long term. 

But what they aren't asking Jackson to do is drop back in the pocket and read this or that.

They aren't telling Murray to get under center and read 1,2, and 3 while dropping back. 

My thing is if we know Marcus can't do this or that out the gate then let's do what we've seen him do consistently well. And what I've seen him do consistently well is hurry up and spread. 

Would it work long term? Don't know. But I'd like to see it tried. Lol 

It would eliminate the debate piece that he can and go full into he can't do anything. .

But we had 3 offenses that do not have a spread mentality. We have a run first with Mularkey. And a run first west coach with Lafleur off the Shannahan tree. 

And if you ease someone like Marcus in like Whiz kind of doing with some things from concepts from Oregon then maybe he has a better chance of growth as you put more on the plate. 

I'd love to see someone from the spread coaching background with Marcus. If he fails with that then no saving you buddy. You are destined to be a journeyman backup. 

He likely, very likely was never going to be MVP. But he could have been our Eli Manning, Flacco type QB to lead a team if we built it right. 

Honestly, after 5 years of the Mariota debate I'm just exhausted by all of it. I stood on that pro Mariota being a Franchise QB hill with a few other posters for the majority of the time, and I'm sad about what has happened, but I'm ready to move on. I'm tired of blaming people for the lack of Marcus' success. The bottom line is that it just never came together for him here. I believe he could've been special, but it didn't happen. So I'm moving forward mentally with Tannehill being our starter and Marcus being our backup. At the end of the day I just want to win games. That's all. I love Marcus, and I hope he finds success somewhere else, but I'm done with the debate (until Tannehill goes down and Marcus comes in and leads us on a miraculous run to the playoffs.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

Honestly, after 5 years of the Mariota debate I'm just exhausted by all of it. I stood on that pro Mariota being a Franchise QB hill with a few other posters for the majority of the time, and I'm sad about what has happened, but I'm ready to move on. I'm tired of blaming people for the lack of Marcus' success. The bottom line is that it just never came together for him here. I believe he could've been special, but it didn't happen. So I'm moving forward mentally with Tannehill being our starter and Marcus being our backup. At the end of the day I just want to win games. That's all. I love Marcus, and I hope he finds success somewhere else, but I'm done with the debate (until Tannehill goes down and Marcus comes in and leads us on a miraculous run to the playoffs.)

Now it's not about Marcus. That ship has sailed. 

To me it's about the coaches. 

Will they do the next QB right?  Will we draft the right guy and do the right things despite their flaws. Because looking at this class they will have flaws. Will this staff work to their strengths or will they just hope they turn out ok and develop? 

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Will they do the next QB right?  Will we draft the right guy and do the right things despite their flaws. Because looking at this class they will have flaws. Will this staff work to their strengths or will they just hope they turn out ok and develop? 

Arthur Smith has undoubtedly been a failure with his play designs.

I don't think Mularkey or LaFleur were bad for Mariota, though. Mularkey was honestly really good for him, and if Murray doesn't fall off a cliff or Henry gets that pep talk from Eddie sooner we're probably still praising Mariota, depending on injuries at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't think Mularkey or LaFleur were bad for Mariota, though. Mularkey was honestly really good for him, and if Murray doesn't fall off a cliff or Henry gets that pep talk from Eddie sooner we're probably still praising Mariota, depending on injuries at least.

I do think that Mularkey knew what was best for Marcus. I think Mularkey is actually a good offensive mind. He had great offenses in Atlanta. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I do think that Mularkey knew what was best for Marcus. I think Mularkey is actually a good offensive mind. He had great offenses in Atlanta. 

Mularkey's problem is the refusal to adapt when his system isn't working. Which sadly is a common problem among NFL coaches. But yeah, when the run game was working like it did with Murray in 16 and did with Michael Turner in Atlanta, his offense can be very difficult to stop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Absolutely. Vrabel has all the heat on him and his staff now. I still think he could lose his job this year if we finish the rest of the year poorly, and honestly I don't want to draft a QB with this staff, because I don't trust them to be able to develop a QB. Maybe Vrabel can salvage that by getting a well respected OC in here, but I also don't want our new QB coming into a situation where the head coach is on the hot seat like what happened with Marcus. If the wheels completely fall off this year I think the smart move would be to put a new coaching staff and QB on the same time table instead of bringing a rookie QB into a bad situation with a head coach that is on the hot seat.

14 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

12 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Were not thinking firing Mularkey was a mistake right? There were a couple of us who were in favor of keeping him... Until he insisted on keeping Robiscuit as his OC. 

I still think it d the right move to move on... And I still think Vrabel could be the right choice... He just needs to get his next OC right. It's imperative. 

Jay Gruden could be a good candidate. With his Redskins stint very fresh, it's unlikely he gets another HC shot soon. Like Whiz and Norv Turner, he may be the type of coach who thrives as a coordinator and not so much as a HC. He's my early favorite... Brings experience and at least confidence he can help develop a qb. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Were not thinking firing Mularkey was a mistake right? There were a couple of us who were in favor of keeping him... Until he insisted on keeping Robiscuit as his OC. 

I still think it d the right move to move on... And I still think Vrabel could be the right choice... He just needs to get his next OC right. It's imperative. 

Jay Gruden could be a good candidate. With his Redskins stint very fresh, it's unlikely he gets another HC shot soon. Like Whiz and Norv Turner, he may be the type of coach who thrives as a coordinator and not so much as a HC. He's my early favorite... Brings experience and at least confidence he can help develop a qb. 

Yes. His inability to adapt was worth firing him over. Hard to win championships with someone like that.

Merely saying Mularkey's system was by far the one that best suited Mariota.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Seems like Vrabel and Gruden would bump heads a lot. Two ridiculous egos

On 18.10.2019 at 10:36 PM, KingTitan said:

I think a combo of a and B. 

We've seen him look better in hurry up spread. So why not try to maximize that set. 

Then blame Marcus for not being able to handle whatever or overcome. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariMa01/splits/

Career stats

Huddle: 63.6% completion rate, 50 TDs to 23 INTs, 94.2 QB rating

No huddle: 62.7% completion rate, 1 TD to 5 INTs, 73.2 QB rating

His QB rating also looks much better from under center.

Maybe numbers aren't telling the full story, but it's a little weird that for a guy I've been reading in here for years would look much better running a certain type of offense, those numbers look much worse when running that type of offense people have been screaming for.