Would you rather have an elite QB or an elite HC?

Bolts223

Well Joe Gibbs won SBs with 3 different QBs, none of which were particularly amazing.  Although I would argue the QB position has become even more important in the current era.  Aaron Rodgers dragged Mike McCarthy to a SB.  In the current era where QBs are expected to throw 5k yards a year I would probably lean towards wanting an elite QB more.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well Joe Gibbs won SBs with 3 different QBs, none of which were particularly amazing.  Although I would argue the QB position has become even more important in the current era.  Aaron Rodgers dragged Mike McCarthy to a SB.  In the current era where QBs are expected to throw 5k yards a year I would probably lean towards wanting an elite QB more.  

I'm not saying that Aaron Rodgers didn't play well in that postseason, because he absolutely did.

But the 2010 Packers had an elite defense that played extremely well in the playoffs. The Eagles/Bears games were defensive battles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I'm not saying that Aaron Rodgers didn't play well in that postseason, because he absolutely did.

But the 2010 Packers had an elite defense that played extremely well in the playoffs. The Eagles/Bears games were defensive battles.

Ok answer this.  Is Mike McCarthy an elite coach?  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok answer this.  Is Mike McCarthy an elite coach?  

That's not the point of what I was saying.

I'm saying that saying Aaron Rodgers carried that team to a SB is incorrect. If you wanted to say an overall loaded Packers team carried a McCarthy to a SB that would be accurate.

Edit: I also think McCarthy gets hated on a bit more than he deserves. Back in 2010 I think he was one of the better coaches in the league. Not elite, but pretty good.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 3

Just now, Bolts223 said:

That's not the point of what I was saying.

I'm saying that saying Aaron Rodgers carried that team to a SB is incorrect. If you wanted to say an overall loaded Packers team carried a McCarthy to a SB that would be accurate.

But the whole point of the thread is elite QB vs elite HC.  Aaron Rodgers is an elite QB.  Mike McCarthy is not an elite HC.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

But the whole point of the thread is elite QB vs elite HC.  Aaron Rodgers is an elite QB.  Mike McCarthy is not an elite HC.  

I know.

I'm saying that an elite QB like Aaron Rodgers did not carry that team to a SB. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is what I came to say. Also, other than Joe Gibbs, how many of the top coaches of all time won SBs with mediocre QB play? I think you would have to go back a ways to find them. And yet there are recent examples of all-time great QBs winning SBs with good but not elite coaching. Manning with Colts, Rodgers with McCarthy, arguably Brees with Payton. So yeah, I think the game changing to promote the passing game more has tilted the scales in the QB's direction a bit.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

This is what I came to say. Also, other than Joe Gibbs, how many of the top coaches of all time won SBs with mediocre QB play? I think you would have to go back a ways to find them. And yet there are recent examples of all-time great QBs winning SBs with good but not elite coaching. Manning with Colts, Rodgers with McCarthy, arguably Brees with Payton. So yeah, I think the game changing to promote the passing game more has tilted the scales in the QB's direction a bit.

- Problem with saying Manning with the Colts is it's not like Manning even played well in that postseason. It was Dungy's defense that won a low scoring 15-6 game against the Ravens.

Problem is that the only head coach of the last 20 years that I truly consider elite is Bill Belichick. The other top coaches of that time period like Cowher, both Harbaughs, Pete Carroll, Reid, etc I all consider to be very good head coaches but not "elite."

What I will say about Belichick is that I don't really consider 2001 Brady an elite QB yet. He was absolutely clutch, but he's a million times better now than he was then. I would argue the 2001 Patriots are a team that won with elite coaching but not elite QB play.

• Like 2