Would you rather have an elite QB or an elite HC?

Bolts223

You know, I feel like Peyton Manning answers this question easily. Colts were EASILY winning 11 games during his prime, wasn’t even a question. Ppl thought that his head coach after dungy (can’t think of his name) was an elite coach. Soon as he got hurt they were legit the worst team in football. Qbs that have insanely high IQ and make their own audibles are absolutely more important in imho

23 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

You know, I feel like Peyton Manning answers this question easily. Colts were EASILY winning 11 games during his prime, wasn’t even a question. Ppl thought that his head coach after dungy (can’t think of his name) was an elite coach. Soon as he got hurt they were legit the worst team in football. Qbs that have insanely high IQ and make their own audibles are absolutely more important in imho

Manning is the only strange exception to the rule though. Four SB Appearances with Four Head Coaches. 

Why is this? Because Manning is his own system. He’s basically the only QB I’ve seen that is basically a QB and OC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Manning is the only strange exception to the rule though. Four SB Appearances with Four Head Coaches. 

Why is this? Because Manning is his own system. He’s basically the only QB I’ve seen that is basically a QB and OC. 

I guess you can say that because the truth is we have never and may never see something like that again. If we say an elite qb like Manning though I think you can take him instead of an elite hc.

8 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

That Colts team was going downhill in 2010 though.  They obviously would have been better in 2011 with Manning, but his replacement was Curtis Painter, not even close to a league average QB.  

On 10/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, incognito_man said:

Maybe.

MM's offenses ranked: 1, 11, 4, 15 and 7 his last 5 years. And that was with Rodgers missing 9 games in the worst season.

He was/is still a great HC, he just needed a change of scenery and had a broken relationship with Rodgers for some reason.

MM benefited from having Rodgers just like MLF is now.   McCarthy might find more success as an OC going forward.

Everyone points out the defense we had in 2010.  It was very good but in that SB we lost our defensive leader to injury and that unit suffered after Woodson got hurt.   We needed Rodgers to play lights out.  It was a miracle we won with all the WR drops we had that day.

Edited by Pugger

Elite HC. 

Consider this: if you owned your own business would you rather have an elite salesperson or an elite manager? 

An elite salesperson will get you the sales (in a QBs case: wins) but if he leaves, your entire team is done 

An elite manager will properly develop your team, find out the strengths and weaknesses, and plug in the gaps to make sure everything is running in sync. That way if one elite person left, then there is minimal drop off in quality 

also, an elite HC generally stays with a team longer than an elite QB just based on their positions. So there will be longer success 

Even better, would be an elite HC who also happens to be an elite GM

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think the more telling question would be a

Elite HC with a average QB or a Elite QB with an average coach.

Based on your question, I trust a elite QB could take a bad coach further than a Elite HC can take a bad QB.

What are times an Elite QB has won with a so-so coach? I can’t think of a single one. 

How many times has an Elite HC won with a so-so QB? Numerous times. 

On 10/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, Illadelegend215 said:

There was a never a consensus thought that Jim Caldwell was an elite coach. He was essentially seen as someone essentially riding Peyton Manning's success. Obviously it wasn't that simple, but I'm just saying since Caldwell was a new head coach without history of turning a team around, he was essentially seen as a figurehead. 

Edited by PapaShogun

21 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think the more telling question would be a

Elite HC with a average QB or a Elite QB with an average coach.

Based on your question, I trust a elite QB could take a bad coach further than a Elite HC can take a bad QB.

Probably but either way it's a close race between what's more important. The best QB in the league is worth 7-10 points. The best HC probably in that range as well maybe slightly below

Elite HC citing the examples of Joe Gibbs and Tom Coughlin. Coughlin won two championships with Eli Manning and was able to put scheme Belichick in the biggest game... twice. 

I may be biased though having watched Rivers play the last decade and a half being saddled with average at best coaches.