What if Calvin Johnson went first overall?

Danger

maxresdefault.jpg

Before the 2007 NFL Draft, we all knew how much of a phenom Calvin Johnson was. Some were even saying he should go number 1 overall because of his sheer ability. Rumor has it this was widely considered by the Raiders organization. A WR going number 1, would be pretty unprecedented, but ultimately we know that another (at the time) physical talent in JaMarcus Russell won out and was selected by the Raiders. Calvin Johnson wouldn't have to wait long and was selected 2nd by the Lions. What if the Raiders drafted Calvin Johnson with the first pick in the 2007 NFL Draft?

Disclaimer: I am keeping the "what if this guy was selected instead of this guy" what-ifs to a minimum, but this one was very intriguing to me. 

Also, as always feel free to speculate to your hearts content, as shallow or deep as you see fit, and give me any ideas you'd like to see for future speculative scenarios.

• Like 1

Rumors had it Broncos offered up a huge haul to get up to 2 and select Megatron. Instead, they settled for Jarvis Moss lol.

I can't imagine Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson on the same team. It completely changes Cutlers career imo. 

As for the OP it's the Raiders they got their righteous bust, after selecting Robert Gallery in 04' everyone saw this coming so I can't imagine it.

Al Davis was quoted at the time as saying that not taking Matt leinart (the year before) set the franchise back 20 years. It wasn't because he liked lienhart, it was because he knew Megatron was Megatron and felt he couldnt pass on a QB two years in a row 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Without playing on a team that throws it 600-750 times a year he has nowhere near the (already overstated) numbers he had. 

Numbers aside. He's one of the three best to ever lace them up. Rice moss Johnson

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Not in the group picture. You can count the number of elite seasons he had on one hand. 

22 minutes ago, N4L said:

Numbers aside. He's one of the three best to ever lace them up. Rice moss Johnson

I think you need to read what I said again. 

Numbers aside. 

That means, just watching him play, you can't deny he's one of the three best to ever play 

• Like 1