Overachiever/Underachiever Raider Predictions 2017

Silver&Black88

Not entirely the same as regular over/under but feel free to post those too.  Idea of this thread is which players on our squad will play better or worse than expectations.  Imo, its kind of tough this year because we don't know what to expect with a lot of players.  As in how good they will be, how good they will be in our system, or how many reps they get.  Here's my stab at it:

Players I think will perform above expectations:

Marshall Newhouse, RT
Assumed expectation: play below average
My expectation: Solid RT play

I think Newhouse has a chance to settle into a job he can do.  He's looked alright all preseason and I feel he can be an improvement over Austin Howard.  A Doug Free type if you will.

Treyvon Hester, DT:
Assumed expectation: small contributor, rotational DT
My expectation: fringe starter

Hester has flashed some potential in our system and usually plays technically sound.  I think he'll continue to improve as a rusher and be better vs the run than Autry, stealing some reps.  Wildcard being MEJ and Vanderdoes.  How well they play, vs where they play and which sub packages we put which personnel at.

HM: Shalom Luani

Players I think will perform at expectations:

Seth Roberts, WR
Assumed expectation: Inconsistent 3rd receiver, usually clutch
My expectation: Inconsistent 3rd receiver, usually clutch

He could get better by virtue of being healthy.  He made some tough catches last year for playing through a hernia. Still, I think he's going to be maddeningly inconsistent even if improved.

David Amerson, CB
Assumed expectation: slightly above average CB
My expectation: slightly above average CB

In part due to Carrie and Smith getting picked on, I think Amerson looks a little better than last year.  That's been my impression of him so far at least, and I expect that trend to continue

HM: DeAndre Washington

Players I think will perform below expectations:

Cordarelle Patterson, WR
Assumed expectation: Contributing 4th receiver, good STer
My expectation: Poor 4th receiver, meh STer

Patterson is a body catcher with limited ability to get open.  We're going to have to design plays and be cognizant of timing to call them for him to make an impact.  I think when the competition is real, he's not going to make many plays downfield.  Maybe some drags, screens, and gimmicky routes that will benefit from the defense's attention being on Coop/Crab/Cook.  But if we have Coop/Crab taking a breather, with CP in for a 2WR set, we're hosed unless its a gadget play.  Personally, I'm just hoping he isn't Taiwan Jones 2.0

Donald Penn, LT
Assumed expectation: Steady LT with some strong plays mixed in
My expectation: Inconsistent LT play due to age

For me, a few years back I would have hoped we'd be done with this guy by now (due to being usurped by a younger guy).  I'm glad we're expecting good play out of him and for the play we've gotten from him....but I think time catches up to him this season.  Would love to be wrong.

HM: I was going to put Sebastian Janikowski here, but he just got IR'd.  I guess I'll go with Karl Joseph (not as improved in coverage as hoped)

22 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Cordarelle Patterson, WR
Assumed expectation: Contributing 4th receiver, good STer
My expectation: Poor 4th receiver, meh STer

Patterson is a body catcher with limited ability to get open.  We're going to have to design plays and be cognizant of timing to call them for him to make an impact.  I think when the competition is real, he's not going to make many plays downfield.  Maybe some drags, screens, and gimmicky routes that will benefit from the defense's attention being on Coop/Crab/Cook.  But if we have Coop/Crab taking a breather, with CP in for a 2WR set, we're hosed unless its a gadget play.  Personally, I'm just hoping he isn't Taiwan Jones 2.0

Shut up idiot

Archived