Raiders sign Darren Waller to a contract extension through 2023

agarcia34

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

9 mil isn't bad. Soon it'll be a bargain.

Am I missing something?  Where does it say what he is making?  If we paid him top 5 money after a few games with big guarantees I am disappointed in this team.  They do not understand risk.  It needs to be an incentive heavy deal.  I like the player and I love his story but his addiction problems are not over.  They never will be if he really is an addict.  If he was just a young kid not taking his job seriously and has matured that is different but real addicts never stop being addicts.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Am I missing something?  Where does it say what he is making?  If we paid him top 5 money after a few games with big guarantees I am disappointed in this team.  They do not understand risk.  It needs to be an incentive heavy deal.  I like the player and I love his story but his addiction problems are not over.  They never will be if he really is an addict.  If he was just a young kid not taking his job seriously and has matured that is different but real addicts never stop being addicts.

"Waller is expected to earn about $9 million per season on what amounts to a three-year extension, according to the NFL Network"

They didn't say anything about guaranteed, but he's an ascending player at 27 who's new at the position and can also run and pass block. Imagine if he finishes with 1000 yards. He'd want at least 11-12 million and would get franchise tagged for sure. Considering Higbee and Burton are making almost the same, that's a very fair price. Engram and others will certainly deserve more.

Let's see if there are stipulations in his contract regarding staying clean. I'm sure the team took it into consideration. We don't know anything about guaranteed money either.

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"Waller is expected to earn about $9 million per season on what amounts to a three-year extension, according to the NFL Network"

They didn't say anything about guaranteed, but he's an ascending player at 27 who's new at the position and can also run and pass block. Imagine if he finishes with 1000 yards. He'd want at least 11-12 million and would get franchise tagged for sure. Considering Higbee and Burton are making almost the same, that's a very fair price. Engram and others will certainly deserve more.

Let's see if there are stipulations in his contract regarding staying clean. I'm sure the team took it into consideration. We don't know anything about guaranteed money either.

Average of $9 million is tied for 4th highest with Rudolph.  A healthy, clean, and motivated Waller is a top 5 TE from what we have seen so far this year but what happens when teams start to figure out ways to stop him?  The guy was suspended two years ago and if he relapses, which is possible, he will get more than a year.  Cook was also a top 5 TE with us that we did not want to pay and signed for $7.5 million average.  He would have been a RFA and we could have given him a 1st round tender and then the franchise tag.  1st round tender plus the franchise tag would give him an average of $8 million while limiting risk.  I personally would let him play out this year and give him a 1st round tender ($4.6 million) while you work in good faith to sign an extension in the off-season.  When teams start to focus on him and he still puts up these numbers is when he gets big money.  Like I said I like him as a player but if there are big guarantees and we force ourselves to have to hold on to him because of the contract I will be very disappointed.  I understand that it looks good but my way does not look bad either.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I’ve seen 9m annually and I see your concern with his past. I am sure there is language in the contract that will allow us to get out of it, if he does slip up. Maybe that’s why the guaranteed money has been kept hush? Has anyone seen the guaranteed dollars?

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, drfrey13 said:

Average of $9 million is tied for 4th highest with Rudolph.  A healthy, clean, and motivated Waller is a top 5 TE from what we have seen so far this year but what happens when teams start to figure out ways to stop him?  The guy was suspended two years ago and if he relapses, which is possible, he will get more than a year.  Cook was also a top 5 TE with us that we did not want to pay and signed for $7.5 million average.  He would have been a RFA and we could have given him a 1st round tender and then the franchise tag.  1st round tender plus the franchise tag would give him an average of $8 million while limiting risk.  I personally would let him play out this year and give him a 1st round tender ($4.6 million) while you work in good faith to sign an extension in the off-season.  When teams start to focus on him and he still puts up these numbers is when he gets big money.  Like I said I like him as a player but if there are big guarantees and we force ourselves to have to hold on to him because of the contract I will be very disappointed.  I understand that it looks good but my way does not look bad either.

It's kind of hard to stop some one with his athletic ability at the TE position, if teams devote resources to stop him that technically means others should be taking advantage of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

It's kind of hard to stop some one with his athletic ability at the TE position, if teams devote resources to stop him that technically means others should be taking advantage of that.

This is true but things do not always work out the way they should.  We have had our fair share of players that should have dominated based upon physical ability but did not.  I just wanted to see him produce for a longer period of time before giving him big money and guarantees.  Now that I see the numbers they fall in line with what I said about playing out this year, tender in 2020, and possible tag in 2021.  The averages are close and the guaranteed money he is getting in his new contract is a good amount for both sides.  Mayock made a good deal and I hope Waller keeps earning it.  $7.5 was on the high end but still very reasonable.  Waller also looked amazing last week again.  Maybe you are right and the other players are looking better because of him already.  I did not expect Moreau to be this good this quickly also.  Whatever it is this team looks a lot better with Waller so I am happy.  I must tip my hat to Mayock again.  He is starting to look like one of the better GMs so far this year.  If I could just not think about the Ferrell pick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This is true but things do not always work out the way they should.  We have had our fair share of players that should have dominated based upon physical ability but did not.  I just wanted to see him produce for a longer period of time before giving him big money and guarantees.  Now that I see the numbers they fall in line with what I said about playing out this year, tender in 2020, and possible tag in 2021.  The averages are close and the guaranteed money he is getting in his new contract is a good amount for both sides.  Mayock made a good deal and I hope Waller keeps earning it.  $7.5 was on the high end but still very reasonable.  Waller also looked amazing last week again.  Maybe you are right and the other players are looking better because of him already.  I did not expect Moreau to be this good this quickly also.  Whatever it is this team looks a lot better with Waller so I am happy.  I must tip my hat to Mayock again.  He is starting to look like one of the better GMs so far this year.  If I could just not think about the Ferrell pick.

Credit for Waller might go to Gruden tho. I believe Gruden signed him before Mayock got here.