Ejected for arguing strikes .... against the automated zone

Slateman

https://sports.yahoo.com/watch-giants-prospect-jacob-heyward-000259990.html?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Didnt like the call, so he argued with the ump. I imagine that the ump was saltier than usual with having to deal with a computer doing his job.

Also, if that got called by a human ump, this place would be a mad house

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I think i read somewhere that it counts where the ball is at passes the beginning of the plate. So it the computer gives sinking pitches an inherent advantage. 

I mean that is the rule of where the strike zone is. The issue is that umps have NEVER called the breaking ball that hits the bottom of the zone like that and keeps dipping so neither the fans nor, more importantly, the players eyes are adjusted to calling that a strike.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

After watching ten times, that’s a strike. 

It doesn’t sink until after it passes the plate. 

I feel this thread was created to criticize Robo Umps when it actually shows Robo Umps are way more accurate. 

I created this thread for two reasons

1. To generate discussion

2. Because I think the idea of arguing with the computer is kind of funny.

I agree he got the call right. I also think that if a human had called that, there would be a ruckus. 

11 hours ago, mse326 said:

I mean that is the rule of where the strike zone is. The issue is that umps have NEVER called the breaking ball that hits the bottom of the zone like that and keeps dipping so neither the fans nor, more importantly, the players eyes are adjusted to calling that a strike.

And to add to this, the goal of robot umps isn't necessarily to bring the letter of the law strike zone back, it's to improve on the known weaknesses that human umps have calling the current strike zone (catcher framing, home-away, loose zones in hitters counts, lefty strike etc.).

The robot ump might have followed the letter of the law, but that doesn't mean the person who programmed it did a perfect job.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99