Trade Deadline Discussion

WindyCity

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Apparently Burton admitted yesterday that he still doesn't feel like himself. I think it was Pat Finley who sent out a tweet with the quote. 

Yeah I read that article, can't post the link because I'm at work and the man won't let me. But he was saying things like he's still not sure about how much he can push his body, he's struggled with the pitch count on snaps too as he's not getting in to the flow of games and he's never had that before.

He did say that practicing in full and the bye week has helped, so let's see what he's like these next two games before the deadline comes.

Edited by RJ_11

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am only interested in the Bears making a trade for a TE.

This is a TE focused offense and the Bears TEs suck. Holtz was claimed from Washington and within a week was their best TE.

Doesn’t have to be Howard, but I would look around to upgrade.

This so sad, pathetic and true.

We all knew all offseason that TE was a huge need, along with RB and OL, and TE didn't get addressed.   Then we rationalized Shaheen who looked pretty good in offseason before getting hurt last year.

Shaheen was a known coin flip though.  I didn't give up on him, but I was banging table hard for Cincinnati FA TE or a physical draft pick at TE for insurance.  They needed someone.  

Burton has been huge disappointment.   Not going after a physical FA TE was huge and has been huge in failure of out running game.

Nagy was forced, forced,  to go to zone reads, because the TEs failed to block edge on every single IZ play for 3 games.  That is a key block on that play. AND that play sets up rest of the offense.

You have essentially a boxer who can't jab.  Results speak for themselves.  You can coach around it if teams fear your deep game, but that obviously isn't the case with the Bears.   As things stand you can't move the football unless something changes for better.   Scary thing is he can't rely on zone reads now, because MT has a bum shoulder.  It would be suicide.  So TE has to make that block.  Now way around it.  

They are working on it.  They aren't stupid.  

Holtz has been a breath of fresh air and a wise addition.  If he continues to play decent and we get better at RG with Long out Bears may be able to right this ship.   Those were two big holes that were sinking the offense.   

We still have two giant holes at LT and QB.  But patch the holes you can.

It's nice to have 8 good receivers and 2 good RBs, but kind of meaningless without a physical TE/FB or a decent OL and QB.

Pace should have went TE in FA and failing that should have went physical TE in draft then RB. 

Houston traded all their draft picks.  They have 4 talented young TEs.  2 of them are on injured reserve.

Will Lawing, who was elevated this season to tight ends coach, is doing a terrific job. Not only does he coach Fells and Akins, but he’s got two more tight ends on injured reserve, Jordan Thomas and rookie Kahale Warring.https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/McClain-How-Texans-are-using-tight-ends-more-14510106.php

They have no GM.  You can get one of those TEs for a bargain I am sure of it.   I don't know much about Thomas, but Warring has a ton of potential.  

Won't help you this year, but next year it will.

Montgomery has faced more 8 man boxes than almost any RB in the NFL. Until the Bears can threaten teams in the passing game, he'll continue to have a tough time gaining yardage. A blocking TE or RB may help, but not as much as improvements from all involved in the passing game.

With that in mind I'd focus on any available OL and specifically look at teams that have gone through a coaching change in the past 1-2 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Just saw a rumor for Melvin Gordon to the bears.  But we know how rumors go..

If true, or if the Bears ever thought about this.. he would be an immediate boon for this offense, of course, i think we should get Oline help first.

There aren’t really any rbs that can run behind this god awful line lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

A lot of excuses being made for Montgomery. I agree that the OL has been very bad but he also hasn't looked good. 

I know OP said it doesn't have to be Howard but it would be great if it was. 

I haven't examined most recent 2 games, but I can tell you in early games Montgomery had literally nothing and made a little something out of it I don't know how many times.

I would not fault him at all.  Most RBs would go into a funk or a fit after all that repeatedly and I don't think he has yet.  It is human nature though.

The entire running corps is playing bad. I don't think that's too much of a coincidence because of the poor O-Line play.

I would expect them to be atleast decent in one dimension: pass or run

But here are the running avgs (YPC):

Monty: 3.3

Cohen: 2.2

Davis: 2.4

Getting those yards per carry simply isn't going to cut it. Hopefully with Mitch back our passing game can pick up which will help the running game.

Every time I watch a carry I see our backs being met by multiple defenders behind the line of scrimmage. It would be nice to see what Montgomery do with some open running lanes.