Trade Deadline Discussion

WindyCity

29 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I mean not only that but if you add say Mariota it really screws with the QB room. Next year you have Chase coming off the books probably and Mitch probably not coming back. It's alot more cut and dry. Mitch knows he's under pressure I don't think we need to add a QB to be told. Plus some of these QBs will just cost money next year and not picks. 

I wouldn't say probably.  You think Bears will eat a fully guaranteed $9M to have Trubisky play somewhere else next year?  I wouldn't say it's impossible he's gone but I think it's way more likely he's back next season with some competition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't say probably.  You think Bears will eat a fully guaranteed $9M to have Trubisky play somewhere else next year?  I wouldn't say it's impossible he's gone but I think it's way more likely he's back next season with some competition.

I don't know to be honest. They may want a clean slate at QB. I think if you deem him not the franchise guy there's really no point in keeping him. 

Trubisky will be back as the #3 in camp.

He will be replaced by a veteran and a rookie. Maybe he backs up, if the rookie is really raw.

But you saw nothing cutting him. Maybe through injuries he has to play or someone is stupid enough to trade for him.

Cutting him for no reason won’t happen.

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I don't know to be honest. They may want a clean slate at QB. I think if you deem him not the franchise guy there's really no point in keeping him. 

Well if they deem that then they better make sure they bring in someone legitimate as the starter and right now I don't see many realistic options that will be available. If they go the Mariota route I'm almost certain Mitch will return and it will be a camp battle.

If somehow Bridgewater is available (unlikely) and they sign him to big money then ya no point in keeping Mitch on the bench at $9M. Same goes for trading for Foles.

Total hypothetical but maybe we can trade Mitch and a pick to Jax for Foles.

26 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well if they deem that then they better make sure they bring in someone legitimate as the starter and right now I don't see many realistic options that will be available. If they go the Mariota route I'm almost certain Mitch will return and it will be a camp battle.

If somehow Bridgewater is available (unlikely) and they sign him to big money then ya no point in keeping Mitch on the bench at $9M. Same goes for trading for Foles.

Total hypothetical but maybe we can trade Mitch and a pick to Jax for Foles.

I don’t think anyone will want Mitch at 9 million unless their is an injury that makes someone desperate.

I think he will sit around as a backup.

Unless, they deem it to big a distraction. Which I doubt Mitch would be.

If for nothing else, the rumors that the Bears were interested in beathard and Mariota gives me a little hope (assuming the Bears actually did have interest).  Hope in that the higher ups realize the situation they’re in and are going to try to do something about it.  Not saying either of those guys are the answer, but neither is sitting on your hands hoping Tru turns into a franchise QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Looks like Pace truly believes in this sinking ship and is going to go down with it for this season.

I mean look around the NFL. Not many significant trades were made on deadline day. Simply put teams don't want to give up draft assets and cap space for players to come in midseason unless they are absolutely sure that player is going to be utilized and help the team win now. No one Pace could have brought in right now at a reasonable cost would be able to do that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, malagabears said:

Well, less than 9 hours before the TDL comes & goes. I have a sneaky suspicion Pace is gonna stand pat.

I've been pretty much convinced of that all along.  I'm not expecting any major moves.

I believe Pace likes his core players and believes he now has the majority of the talent he needs.  He's no longer in a full on rebuild and he doesn't want to even think about going there so why trade valuable core players on the cheap when he'd only have to replace them anyway with no assurance he'll draft better ones.  It's the old bird in the hand vs two in the bush deal.

Fringe guys will get him nothing or next to it in trade and even those whose deals are up in 2020 won't command much.  Unless we got a premium offer for a guy at a premium position IMHO we'd likely be better off looking for possible comp pick for them later on or we evaluate whether or not to keep them on shorter term less pricey deals if possible.

This is now getting a little more like MLB where you have net buyers and net sellers based on their records but with no real farm system to also work with it's more like a team competing for the playoffs and more will be a buyer of specific talent IF they can get it AND they feel it will put them over the top and secure a playoff berth.

IMHO the Bears are not one of those teams.  LOL

I could see Pace looking to score a young QB like C.J. Beathard to bring in and not upset any apple carts.  Daniel will be gone in 2020 and needs to be replaced so there's your prospect for a #2 and some competition for Mitch.  I can see a fit there.

But Pace also realizes he may need to do far more than just that.  With guys like Foles and Smith on IR and likely to be there most if not all of the season I don't see Pace trading picks and picking up partial salary for a guy whose on IR plus neither JAX or Wash has indicated either is on the trade block so even they're good choices their current availability is doubtful.  Keep an eye on this next spring though.

Then there's Mariota who once you even hint you're pursuing him you've told Mitch he's about to be demoted just not right now.  Given that Pace and Nagy still seem unsure on Mitch I'm thinking they won't pursue this now but depending on how this season finishes and what if any additional progress Mitch seems to make I can definitely see a move on Mariota next spring.

IMHO like it or not before either Pace or Nagy give up on Mitch they are gonna squeeze this out for all it's worth.  If there's any chance at all they could be wrong or just premature in making a decision it's my thinking they'll delay it as long as possible.  So, I see no change at QB unless Mitch is injured or is found in his dressing cubicle playing with toy soldiers and tanks.  It is what it is and will be for now. :/