Trade Deadline Discussion

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Seriously though, what are you going to do QB wise. You don't have a number 1 in 2020 and the free agency market doesn't seem like the answer. You can't roll with Trubisky too much longer. The defense is still outstanding but it has to get frustrating to them when the offense you are rolling out there. 

What do Bears fans see as the answer at QB?

Honestly? If QB is the issue alone then I'd throw a 2nd next year and 2nd (conditionally able to go to a 1st) to Rivers, as that will give them more time to ammo to find a replacement in the 2020 draft, as this season seems to be teetering on wasted with them. 

But our OL is trash, Nagy can't call plays, and Rivers isn't going to overcome that in a midseason trade. He would obviously outperform Tru but I'm not sure what he would be able to do against major passrushes with this OL. 

Edited by Sugashane

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly? If QB is the issue alone then I'd throw a 2nd next year and 2nd (conditionally able to go to a 1st) to Rivers, as that will give them more time to ammo to find a replacement in the 2020 draft. 

But our OL is trash, Nagy can't call plays, and Rivers isn't going to overcome that in a midseason trade. He would obviously outperform Tru but I'm not sure what he would be able to do against major passrushes with this OL. 

I don't think Rivers is the answer. Chargers are a very similar team to Bears.  

He's not going to do much here with no run game and poor offensive line play.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly? If QB is the issue alone then I'd throw a 2nd next year and 2nd (conditionally able to go to a 1st) to Rivers, as that will give them more time to ammo to find a replacement in the 2020 draft. 

Look at his O-line! They are all beat up and he seldom has time to throw. I think one of the worst decisions you made was getting rid of your RB last year. That guy moved the chains and kept you in positive situations for a young QB. I think there was entirely too much confidence in Trubisky making a leap when he didn't really show the signs of being a franchise guy. 

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly? If QB is the issue alone then I'd throw a 2nd next year and 2nd (conditionally able to go to a 1st) to Rivers, as that will give them more time to ammo to find a replacement in the 2020 draft, as this season seems to be teetering on wasted with them. 

Rivers was pissed about going from San Diego to LA. He still lives in SD and makes that commute daily in order to spend as much time as he can with his family. He'd never accept a trade anywhere yet alone more than halfway across the country

Edited by beardown3231

27 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No he's bad, but I think you argued with me about him earlier in the year too. It's clear we disagree but the Titans organization thinks he blows so we should also

Either way, whichever one of us is right--he's not any sort of long term solution for the position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Seriously though, what are you going to do QB wise. You don't have a number 1 in 2020 and the free agency market doesn't seem like the answer. You can't roll with Trubisky too much longer. The defense is still outstanding but it has to get frustrating to them when the offense you are rolling out there. 

What do Bears fans see as the answer at QB?

One who doesn't seem to be in doubt of himself every time he steps up to the LOS.

Reading through this is like the script of a Miller Lite "less filling, tastes great" commercial.

We can't seem to establish a running game behind an OL I deem as a poor fit for the scheme Nagy prefers and an inline TE who can execute his blocking assignments so teams still drop 8 in the box and dare Trubisky to actually beat them and he can't.

So which way is it?  We can't run effectively without a solid passing game that forces teams to respect that or is it Mitch can't be successful without an effective running game yet he's one of the primary reasons it's not effective.....it's a Catch 22 deal.

This is not an easy fix but sure as hell it won't improve if Mitch continues to be handed the starting job each week despite his subpar play.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

One who doesn't seem to be in doubt of himself every time he steps up to the LOS.

Reading through this is like the script of a Miller Lite "less filling, tastes great" commercial.

We can't seem to establish a running game behind an OL I deem as a poor fit for the scheme Nagy prefers and an inline TE who can execute his blocking assignments so teams still drop 8 in the box and dare Trubisky to actually beat them and he can't.

So which way is it?  We can't run effectively without a solid passing game that forces teams to respect that or is it Mitch can't be successful without an effective running game yet he's one of the primary reasons it's not effective.....it's a Catch 22 deal.

This is not an easy fix but sure as hell it won't improve if Mitch continues to be handed the starting job each week despite his subpar play.

I believe that the moment you bench Mitch it's irreversible for him and an indication that the team is moving on at QB because there are minimal examples of young QBs that got benched for poor play and then went on to become great or even good starting QBs in this league. It just rarely ever happens if at all. I think the only way he'll ever improve... if he does.. is by reps reps and more reps.

We've all seen what Chase did behind this same offensive line and with the same play makers and it wasn't pretty so I think you just have to sink or swim with Mitch the rest of this season and see what he's got left to show everyone. For better or for worse the team needs him to play he rest of this season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I believe that the moment you bench Mitch it's irreversible for him and an indication that the team is moving on at QB because there are minimal examples of young QBs that got benched for poor play and then went on to become great or even good starting QBs in this league. It just rarely ever happens if at all. I think the only way he'll ever improve... if he does.. is by reps reps and more reps.

We've all seen what Chase did behind this same offensive line and with the same play makers and it wasn't pretty so I think you just have to sink or swim with Mitch the rest of this season and see what he's got left to show everyone. For better or for worse the team needs him to play he rest of this season.

I respect your opinion but also disagree.

IMHO, and IMHO only what ails Mitch Trubisky won't be cured by more failures to grasp this offense and run it effectively each week.  He's playing like a robot whose completely devoid of instincts and playmaking ability and in his case I don't believe those will develop under the pressure of trying to both improve himself, avoid mistakes, and salvage this season. 

He's timid and indecisive.  He's currently lacking confidence in himself and his abilities which are making him a soft target for every good DC in the NFL.  All an opponent has to do is immediately take away the two or three things he need to develop a rhythm and some confidence and he's got him beat from the outset.  GB and NOLA did just that and you saw the result.

After that Nagy spends the rest of the game trying anything and everything he has on his play sheet looking for anything that will work instead of simply getting his guys to execute the basic bread and butter plays needed to allow the others to succeed.  Pretty soon Mitch's failures infect the entire offense from top to bottom.  At least that's what I'm sensing.

Mitch's issue run deep but they're still fixable provided we handle him correctly and again IMHO sending him out ill prepared to win isn't helping him or overall team morale.  Daniel is another Josh McCown who could at least help stabilize things and keep us in games we can win against lesser teams.  Right now Mitch can barely do that well.

It's unfortunate Mitch wasn't able to learn from the sidelines by watching an accomplished NFL QB as a few others have but that's now ancient history and as mediocre as Daniel is as a starter HE does not lack confidence and he does know where to go with the ball.  If Helfrich is calling plays Nagy and Rags can use this as teaching moments for Mitch during an actual game.

I admit I'm relying a lot on my experience as a musician and being a very intuitive style player myself I learned early on that to use that skill I needed to have my fundamental musical knowledge down pat or I'd be too tense to allow my instincts to take over and simply listen to what was happening around me and just play my part within my own abilities to do so and it worked.

IMHO we need to do that same thing with Mitch.  He's still lacking in some basic fundamental skills and mechanics any top QB needs and if he doesn't acquire them soon benched or not he will never become a good NFL QB.  We have a #2 overall pick invested in this guy and someone still needs to teach him how to play QB well in the NFL and to date we haven't done it.

• Like 1

@soulman I also respect your opinion.  I just think the team needs to absolutely know that Mitch is not the answer heading into next season because they cannot keep waiting for something to magically happen.  If you sit him now and let Daniel play the rest of the way then what happens for next season..do you give Mitch one last shot to prove himself in camp in a legitimate QB competition?  If that's the case then you damn well better make sure you have some one other than Chase Daniel to turn to because the team cannot go through another season of this crap.  People will lose jobs and teammates will begin dividing from each other.  

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Do not trade for any players.

The Bears should be sellers at the deadline.

Prince, HaHa, maybe a WR. Anyone who might not be back next year should be dealt for picks.

Maybe we can trade Mack back to the Raiders and re-coup those 1st rounders since they are apparently looking for pass rush help?  Lol I kid of course.

Realistically the likelihood of Bears becoming sellers this trade deadline are slim because you are basically admitting you are giving up on the season and at 3-3 (and either 4-3 or 3-4 after next week's game) that would be a pretty strong indictment of how you feel about your team.  Try selling that to season ticket holders.

I do not think you'd get much for those guys anyway.  On the other hand, and I mentioned it earlier is I would look to trade Anthony Miller for a mid round pick.  I do not think he's a good fit for this team.

Edited by topwop1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Maybe we can trade Mack back to the Raiders and re-coup those 1st rounders since they are apparently looking for pass rush help?  Lol I kid of course.

Realistically the likelihood of Bears becoming sellers this trade deadline are slim because you are basically admitting you are giving up on the season and at 3-3 (and either 4-3 or 3-4 after next week's game) that would be a pretty strong indictment of how you feel about your team.  Try selling that to season ticket holders.

I do not think you'd get much for those guys anyway.  On the other hand, and I mentioned it earlier is I would look to trade Anthony Miller for a mid round pick.  I do not think he's a good fit for this team.

Just do not be buyers in a vain effort to save this flaming wreck.