New look NFL for year 101 (QBs) 2020

DjRay1985

The NFL at a new Decade and for year 2020/2021 will look different at QB and this is my take on it. This is almost 30% of the league and to my knowledge the last time I saw this was 2004/2005. Either a QB was getting old and replaced, drafted to replace a bad QB situation, or a free agent signing that would change the franchise for the next 10 plus years. Check out the names in this span: Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rogers, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Matt Hasselbeck, and thats just 10 to say the least. I'll throw QB/ HC Jason Garrett in here because he was a free agent QB in 2005 (not sure) for the Giants. We may could say the same for the 2010/2011/2012 seasons.

So on to Today's NFL. Oddly enough some of those QBs above are the reasons many teams and the NFL will look different going forward.

Carolina Panthers - If Kyle Allen keeps playing the was he has, Cam Newton will be gone. I think at this rate people want him gone. I guess it would make since because if they cut Cam, it won't mess up the salary cap too much. I think 1 of 2 things could happen: Kyle Allen will have some bad games and Newton will be back in the fold. OR... Could this be the Re-Make of Brady, Bledsoe? Allen is pretty solid and will be good cheap option going forward. As an LSU and Saints fan I did not like to see Cam win, but when he's good, he's really, really, good. Maybe it's time he moves on regardless.

Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton will be benched this season. 2020 Dalton will not be a Bengal. He will have one year remaining and will have no dead cap in 2020 (according to www.spotrac.com )

Dallas Cowboys – Is it the QB or the HC. Let us see? Jerry Jones has fired two Head Coaches with only 2 losing records from 2003 to 2009. He fired Wade Phillips after a 1-7 season and the year prior he went 11-5. Garett essentially did the same thing in 2015. Let’s look at the numbers:

Bill Parcels 34-30 (53.3%) – 2 Playoff Seasons – 2 Playoff Games Played (0-2)

Wade Phillips 34-22 (60.7%) - 2 Playoff Seasons – 3 Playoff Games Played (1-2)

combined went 68-52 = 56.67%. - 4 Playoff Seasons – 5 Playoff Games Played (1-4)

Jason Garrett record prior to this season is 77-59 = 56.62%. As of right now 80-62 = 56.34% - 3 Playoff Seasons – 5 Playoff Games Played (2-5)

Makes you wonder? My Guess if the Cowboys go 7-9, 8-8, Dak stays and Garrett Goes. if the Cowboys go 9-7 or above, both Dak and Garrett stay.

Denver Broncos - I lived outside of B-More for almost 5-6 years and I felt like Joe Flacco was not loved in Baltimore. I think ppl knew they wanted Matt Ryan at 3 but settled for Flacco at 18 and the same holds true in Denver. We know there is no true love there. Looking at the season we know they are wanting to go into the draft or free agency to get a QB.

Jacksonville Jaguars - Minshew is a solid QB but Foles will be there in 2020. Basically J-Ville is here because Foles is basically still the "new" 2020 QB for Jags, but if Minshew plays well he may get some looks in free Agency?

Los Angeles Chargers - Phillip Rivers will be 40 and I think if he goes, it would be to a win now team like Manning did for the Broncoes. Nevertheless, I think this is his last season as a Charger.

Miami Dolphins - This is a badddd situation and they will indeed have a new QB in 2020

New England Patriots - Tom Brady is still a good QB but I don’t know how long he will last. If he wins a SB this year, I think that’s it. If he falls a game short, it will all depend on a projection only Brady will know on how good that team will be going into 2020/2021.

New Orleans Saints - This will hurt, but Drew Brees is in the Brady boat, and if Brees wins a SB then I think he will retire. As for Bridgewater, many say he may have some sizable offers coming come free agency as a starting QB. As a fan, I’m not sure our answer at QB come 2020. TBH as of today I’m just riding the Bridgewater wave (corny pun was intended).

Pittsburgh Steelers – Same thing as the previous 2. Big Ben is injured, and he honestly looks like he’s a part of the coaching staff every time they run a clip of him on the sideline talking to his fellow QBs. Maybe an omen? Good team or not, my guess is that Ben will retire after this season.

The next three teams are rants so forgive me

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jamis literally has every opportunity at his disposal to become a great QB. I’m not sure if he is a film guy, and I’m not sure of how much work he puts in in the off season on film, but he is talented and can make all the throws down the field. However, his decision making is hugely lacking. I would say he would get another shot as a starter but, I think he may be too erratic to be trusted as a starter. Bruce Ariens, I think in his second season with the team will want his QB he can groom, so I think the writing is on the wall.

Tennessee Titans – is 3 straight seasons of 9-7 and one playoff win not good? That’s not a question for me, but I guess folks are tired of being right above the limit of average based on an NFL season. Mariota in my opinion is a product of his team. Last time they were above a 10-win season was over 10 years ago and both were playoff losses. Based on historical wins and loss numbers, this is an organizational issue IMO. Oddly, Jeff Fisher was the best thing that happen to the team since before I was old enough to care about watching football and I am 34? Looking back, I know fisher was considered very mediocre, but he had a solid track record hindsight. I wish I had that shrugging shoulders emoji right now. But…. Mariota will not be the QB come next season.

Check out this stat. Titans have only had 2 All Pro/Pro Bowl Catchers (WR & TE) since 2010. Marc Mariani and Delanie Walker (15,16,17).  Shrugging emoji here....

Washington Redskins – Again I used to live outside of B-More but worked in Northern VA for 9 years. That commute was wild. Anyways, I say that to say, I have a strong since of the DMV’s fan base. I do not like the Cowboys fans (all over the US), the Titans front office, and THE WASHINGTON REDSKINGS OWNERSHIP AS A WHOLE. As they say in DC “young’n ya’ll some sh**”… I really, really, admire the fans however. Sometime pulling for straws delusional, and constantly bombarded with Dallas fans, they still stick by their team vehemently. I will say DC fans deserve much, much better than what Dan Snyder gives them. The Redskins will always have a revolving door of coaches, QBs, and overpaid BUST free-agents, and trends of letting go of young, untapped potential future Pro Bowlers until Snyder steps away IMHHHHO. Dawyne Haskins, will be the QB next year, but how long will he last? IDK.

There is my take.. Its all in fun, and aside from Cowboys & Falcon fans... No disrespect to anyones teams.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Dalton very well could still be on the Bengals next year. They seem stuck on him for some reason. 

Not as the starter though.  I agree they may be tempted to hold onto him as a backup, but it seems unlikely given they just took Finley and Dolegala in the last draft/UDFA.

20 minutes ago, Elky said:

Titans need to rebuild. Robinson/Vrabel/Mariota aren't the answer.

robinson has built a pretty damn good roster. he's had his misses and has certainly not been a slam dunk GM by any means, but he's taken us from possibly the worst roster in the league to a top 5 defense and probably the most talent on offense we've had in years. the issue is he royally screwed up his head coaching hire. vrabel ain't it. i don't think there's another team doing less with more on offense than tennessee. so do you give him another chance based on how successfully he's built the roster or not? we'll see, i suppose.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

Just now, August4th said:

how many more years do you think Bill has in him? can you see him making it to his late 70's?

4-5 more years was the sense this summer. But I think it depends if he can find a QB if Brady retires after this year or if he moves on from him.

51 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It would be fascinating to watch if Belichick could be successful with Mariota/Winston/Bridgewater.

I imagine he'd do pretty well with a horrible schedule and very good defense in spite of the QB. I'm sure he'd avoid Winston because of the turnovers and avoid Mariota because he's pretty much worthless, but there is no question in my mind that he'd probably be just fine with a safe, mistake-free QB like Bridgewater.

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

I imagine he'd do pretty well with a horrible schedule and very good defense in spite of the QB. I'm sure he'd avoid Winston because of the turnovers and avoid Mariota because he's pretty much worthless, but there is no question in my mind that he'd probably be just fine with a safe, mistake-free QB like Bridgewater.

If he could sustain a very good defense I agree but I doubt he can. But who knows maybe he can with less resources being put into the QB position and sign more quality players on defense.