Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
patriotsheatyan

Thoughts on Ramsey trade?

Thoughts on Ramsey trade?  

76 members have voted

  1. 1. Thoughts on Ramsey trade?

    • Both teams benefit on net
      26
    • Both teams are hurt on net
      4
    • Jaguars benefit Rams are hurt
      41
    • Rams benefit Jaguars are hurt
      6


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't remember anyone giving crap about whitworth at all when he was signed.

The woods deal was criticized pretty heavily though

Woods was always wait and see for me because he was coming from Buffalo who isn't huge with wrs the deal I didn't think was terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I figured someone would bring up the money but I’ve framed that too.

im imagining it’s the old rookie contracts back when we drafted good ole Sam Bradford. 

Now I’d much rather pay that money to Ramsey than someone like Bradford. Hindsight 20/20 of course. 

That is also a reasonable statement lol. What concerns me is prime time who has a Florida State connection with Ramsey.  Is already giving him an out due to the 13% state tax.

If Ramsey were to leave after 2 to 3 years this deal would be a failure of epic proportions for the Rams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I didn't get a sense of bashing idk where you got that idea I wanted whitworth over Bolles.

Oh yeah there was bashing. I remember people said the Rams gave Woods alot of money and he hasnt done anything in his career in Buffalo. With Whitworth it was more about people saying he was up in age and the Rams gave him alot of money and he took it to cash in one more big time before he retired. Which the logic was people thought the Rams was at least 3 years away from being a playoff caliber team because they gad a young unproven coach, young unproven QB, and a team that hasnt been great for over a decade. So people thought why would a guy like Whitworth sign with a team that isnt close to competing when he doesnt have many years left? So they just looked at him wanting to cash in because the Rams gave in a sizable contract. So yes people at the time was bashing the Rams for those moves. I personally thought the Bengals was stupid for letting Whitworth walk. I get it that they wanted a fresh start and probably thought he was on his last legs but the Bengals was the opposite of the Rams. They had an experienced QB in Dalton thats good not great. Green is elite in terms of weapons on offense. They had Bernard and Hill in the backfield which were both very solid at the time. If Eifert just stays healthy he showed promise at that time. Like even the defense was better around that time. The only thing the Bengals was missing was an oline and Whitworth held it together. The Bengals literally never been the same when Whitworth walked and the Rams went from terrible to great when Whitworth walked in the door. So Id say Whitworth deserved every penny he got from the Rams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gmen said:

 

Again if you keep it simple, what do the Rams need to fix more, the top 10 scoring offense and top 12 total offense OR the 24th ranked defense when it comes to points allowed? Yes I know the Rams oline has problems but its not holding them back from moving the football and scoring points. As I pointed out before the Niners game the Rams were averaging 29ppg which was 6th in the NFL. I dont expect the Rams offense to look like it did against the Niners. Why??? Because they played the Panthers whom have a really good defense and great front 7 and the Rams offense put up 30. The Rams played the Saints great defense and they put up 27pts on them. In one stretch the Rams scored a td on three straight possessions against the Saints. On the road in Seattle the Rams scored 29pts against their defense. So the most pressing need to me is making sure the defense isnt giving up 55pts to a Bucs team who yes we know when Winston is on he is capable but still. Like that shouldnt be. Plus as I highlight before, both Talib and Peters are set to be free agents after this season. Talib is hurt and I dont think he will be back next season. Peters is boom or bust and in Wade's scheme Peters just dont fit it because you cant ask him to lock down on someone like Thomas or Julio and feel great about it. So literally the Rams wouldve moved on from Peters. So now the Rams wouldnt have their top two starter corners heading into next season. So who would the Rams be getting to replace them? Draft prospects on both sides? Like Ramsey is on the market which tbh shouldve never been with his talent in the same way Mack shouldve never been on the market last season. But since Ramsey was AND the Rams had a need a corner short term and long term, you go and get him and dont worry about anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Oh yeah there was bashing. I remember people said the Rams gave Woods alot of money and he hasnt done anything in his career in Buffalo.

There's criticism of every move made in the NFL it's part of the business. The wording of your words make it sound like it was universally panned by a majority of fans and media. I gotta say I disagree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Which the logic was people thought the Rams was at least 3 years away from being a playoff caliber team because they gad a young unproven coach, young unproven QB, and a team that hasnt been great for over a decade.

That's not logical at all lol don't make upgrades to your team because of history is the most illogical view of any NFL fan. That's not in hindsight either everyone in the Denver forum wanted whitworth we just wanted him for 12 million a year.

Now, if Whitworth had an injury history which he hadn't at the time I would have agreed. 

Edited by thebestever6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts on the trade? Well, the Rams got a hell of a young player who will be among the best corners for the next six-eight years. The Jags on the other end got great compensation for the disgruntled star CB.

But it won't matter how good Ramsey is if Goff continues to play like the way he's been playing for the last 12-14 games and if the Rams don't improve the OL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

That is also a reasonable statement lol. What concerns me is prime time who has a Florida State connection with Ramsey.  Is already giving him an out due to the 13% state tax.

If Ramsey were to leave after 2 to 3 years this deal would be a failure of epic proportions for the Rams.

Prime has always been a Ram hater. Hopefully Ramsey stays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thoughts on the trade? Well, the Rams got a hell of a young player who will be among the best corners for the next six-eight years. The Jags on the other end got great compensation for the disgruntled star CB.

But it won't matter how good Ramsey is if Goff continues to play like the way he's been playing for the last 12-14 games and if the Rams don't improve the OL. 

I think the point that the Rams got an elite corner for 6-8 years is the point. If the Rams don't fix their OL in that time frame it's due to bigger issues than losing draft picks for Ramsey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think the point that the Rams got an elite corner for 6-8 years is the point. If the Rams don't fix their OL in that time frame it's due to bigger issues than losing draft picks for Ramsey. 

I mean both can be interrelated. Getting an elite corner is great, but then not having 1st rounders for the next two years can prove to be costly in improving the OL. And if the OL isn't improved, then Goff may continue playing like a mediocre QB. If Goff gets back to playing his best ball and the OL becomes solid again, then the trade will end up being worth it. If not? Then well, it gets a bit tricky and Ramsey's addition won't make that big of a difference. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean both can be interrelated. Getting an elite corner is great, but then not having 1st rounders for the next two years can prove to be costly in improving the OL. And if the OL isn't improved, then Goff may continue playing like a mediocre QB. If Goff gets back to playing his best ball and the OL becomes solid again, then the trade will end up being worth it. If not? Then well, it gets a bit tricky and Ramsey's addition won't make that big of a difference. 

 

I agree but I think it wouldn't be the correct interpretation that the Ramsey trade wasn't worth it if Goff and the OL plays poorly while Ramsey balls out. The 2 are only related because we gave up picks and salary cap flexibility. The Rams might not fix the OL this year but the Ramsey trade wasn't just a 1 year deal. 

The only way the Rams will regret the Ramsey deal is 1) he doesn't play like the 2018 Ramsey 2) we pick in the top 10 or 3) he refuses to sign LT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I agree but I think it wouldn't be the correct interpretation that the Ramsey trade wasn't worth it if Goff and the OL plays poorly while Ramsey balls out. The 2 are only related because we gave up picks and salary cap flexibility. The Rams might not fix the OL this year but the Ramsey trade wasn't just a 1 year deal. 

The only way the Rams will regret the Ramsey deal is 1) he doesn't play like the 2018 Ramsey 2) we pick in the top 10 or 3) he refuses to sign LT. 

But you DID give up HIGH draft compensation and will have to pay him HUGE money. Like at this point he has all the leverage in the world and can demand pretty much whatever he wants and he will get it knowing that the Rams have to pay him after giving up what they did. And if those draft picks they gave up and the contract they have to give him impact the types of OL they can draft or sign? Then that certainly impacts the trade. Because then you ask yourself, is Ramsey's impact worth having a shoddy OL that is one of the factor's of Goff playing mediocre?

Now, if the Rams can still put together a solid OL without the two first rounders they gave up and the contract they will give Ramsey at season's end? Then the trade will prove to be worth it.

But I don't think it is as simple as if Ramsey is playing great, then the trade was worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the people that don't like this trade. Do you not like the price or do you not like that it was the Rams that made the deal? I can understand not liking the price but would find it silly if you'd think it would have been a good trade for say the Eagles but bad for the Rams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×