Cordy Glenn Situation

TheVillain112

27 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Just like Whit

Except Whit was actually playing well.  In this case, Cordy was barely a notch about Bobby Hart last year, and was rarely healthy.  So drafting his replacement made a bunch of sense.

• Like 2

As much as this situation and this season sucks, in the long term this could help the team.  When you look at some teams like the 49ers, they have sucked hard for 2-3 seasons but stockpiled some blue chip prospects: Nick Bosa (#2 overall), Mike McGlinchey (#9 overall), DeForest Buckner (#7 overall)...all top 10 picks.  We've been relying on subpar players like Glenn unfortunately.  He was a stopgap, not the solution.

Hopefully we can get some game changers over the next couple of drafts, because at the moment our 'studs' are aging players.  Picking Top 3 in the draft, also gets us a high 2nd round pick that we can use to get a quality LB/OL player as well...

28 minutes ago, theJ said:

Except Whit was actually playing well.  In this case, Cordy was barely a notch about Bobby Hart last year, and was rarely healthy.  So drafting his replacement made a bunch of sense.

I was referring to how both reacted when the team drafted a long term replacement, not play level.  Whit went through a similar episode where he felt disrespected because they drafted Cedric O without talking to him about it in advance.

51 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I was referring to how both reacted when the team drafted a long term replacement, not play level.  Whit went through a similar episode where he felt disrespected because they drafted Cedric O without talking to him about it in advance.

That's common throughout the league.  Teams don't typically consult their vets when they're ready to replace them, so i'm ok with that.  It's the players job to perform well enough to keep their job in that scenario.

With Glenn, he might have kept the LT job and Williams might have been moved to RT had he played better in 2018.  But he was kind of garbage, so there was no way that was happening.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's common throughout the league.  Teams don't typically consult their vets when they're ready to replace them, so i'm ok with that.  It's the players job to perform well enough to keep their job in that scenario.

With Glenn, he might have kept the LT job and Williams might have been moved to RT had he played better in 2018.  But he was kind of garbage, so there was no way that was happening.

I'm not disagreeing.  Teams don't consult players about personnel decisions.  Just pointing out that it because the beginning of the end for Whit.

Glenn was never going to be the RT.  The front office believed that Hart could improve without any backing basis.  They only moved Glenn to LG when it appeared to them that Boling was done, and they needed a  replacement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

This is why i'm suspecting that Glenn is accusing them of trying to rush him back previous to this week.  Also why i'd like more details around the fine they imposed.  Was that for actions this week, or previous to this week?  And what exactly?

I can't tell who is the cause of this mania.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

This is why i'm suspecting that Glenn is accusing them of trying to rush him back previous to this week.  Also why i'd like more details around the fine they imposed.  Was that for actions this week, or previous to this week?  And what exactly?

I can't tell who is the cause of this mania.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/18/bengals-news-cordy-glenn-suspension-details/

"What we do know is Glenn still is on the team, has been fined, did not travel to the Pittsburgh game against team wishes, missed meetings and — after Thursday — missed practices despite being fully cleared."

I'm leaning towards the team on this one.  But I also think that had Jim Turner not been the OL Coach, this situation may have played out differently...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

As much as this situation and this season sucks, in the long term this could help the team.  When you look at some teams like the 49ers, they have sucked hard for 2-3 seasons but stockpiled some blue chip prospects: Nick Bosa (#2 overall), Mike McGlinchey (#9 overall), DeForest Buckner (#7 overall)...all top 10 picks.  We've been relying on subpar players like Glenn unfortunately.  He was a stopgap, not the solution.

Hopefully we can get some game changers over the next couple of drafts, because at the moment our 'studs' are aging players.  Picking Top 3 in the draft, also gets us a high 2nd round pick that we can use to get a quality LB/OL player as well...

But the problem is the Bengals franchise is run by the Brown family. In theory, we could hire some better coaches in January, overpay for a couple of difference makers in March, draft Tua in April, with a couple more good players in the early 2nd and 3rd rounds and have a good team around a developing QB next year. 

In practice that would require our management to make good decisions and take advantage of opportunities. Shunning opportunities is more their style. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, INbengalfan said:

Just pointing out that it because the beginning of the end for Whit.

I don't really buy that. Whit did everything in his power to retire a Bengal, and there was no indication that he was upset at all with the team prior to his eventual departure. Cinci just wouldn't foot the bill when it came to resigning him. It's well documented that he was willing to take less money to resign rather than taking the Rams mega-deal. All our FO had to do was meet him halfway.