Cordy Glenn Situation

TheVillain112

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't really buy that. Whit did everything in his power to retire a Bengal, and there was no indication that he was upset at all with the team prior to his eventual departure. Cinci just wouldn't foot the bill when it came to resigning him. It's well documented that he was willing to take less money to resign rather than taking the Rams mega-deal. All our FO had to do was meet him halfway.

Then you just weren't listening when it happened.  He was very vocal about the fact they didn't talk to him ahead of time.  It had no bearing on the front office's  decision to move forward with cedric.  They blew it.  But that was the first sign that they were moving forward: they drafted his eventual replacement.  Blame Mike, blame Tobin, blame Paul Alexander.  the team decided it was moving forward the minute they drafted ogbuehi.  They ignored the on-field evidence that he wasn't ready.  They did it anyway.

46 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Then you just weren't listening when it happened.  He was very vocal about the fact they didn't talk to him ahead of time.  It had no bearing on the front office's  decision to move forward with cedric.  They blew it.  But that was the first sign that they were moving forward: they drafted his eventual replacement.  Blame Mike, blame Tobin, blame Paul Alexander.  the team decided it was moving forward the minute they drafted ogbuehi.  They ignored the on-field evidence that he wasn't ready.  They did it anyway.

As I recall,  they offered more on a  one year deal than the rams did,  it just wasn't guaranteed.  They took for granted that he would sign for that. They knew ogbuehi was not ready. They just hadn't given up on him yet.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

There’s nothing wrong with drafting the replacement for a 34 year old tackle, no matter how well he’s still playing. That’s a non issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

There’s nothing wrong with drafting the replacement for a 34 year old tackle, no matter how well he’s still playing. That’s a non issue.

Agreed. And, it's pretty impossible to consult the guy mid-draft when they didn't know Ced would be there. I'll fault the team for a lot of things, but this would have been pretty unreasonable. 

10 hours ago, theJ said:

Agreed. And, it's pretty impossible to consult the guy mid-draft when they didn't know Ced would be there. I'll fault the team for a lot of things, but this would have been pretty unreasonable. 

Where did I fault the team?  Whether they consulted him or not about it, they drafted his replacement.  They had a plan, an awful one as it turned out, but the minute they did, the Whit era was essentially coming to an end, despite the performance on the field by both Whit and Cedric that strongly suggested that they were making a poor choice.

12 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Where did I fault the team?

Whit went through a similar episode where he felt disrespected because they drafted Cedric O without talking to him about it in advance.

Sounds like your putting the team at fault for something pretty benign.

Regardless, there is no evidence to suggest this whole Glenn fiasco is about his position switch. It's all conjecture. It could be something as simple as not wanting to suit up for a lost season while still feeling some lingering effects of the concussion.

20 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

They had a plan, an awful one as it turned out, but the minute they did, the Whit era was essentially coming to an end, despite the performance on the field by both Whit and Cedric that strongly suggested that they were making a poor choice.

The Whit era was coming to an end regardless if we drafted his replacement or not. The plan was fine. The execution was terrible.

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't really buy that. Whit did everything in his power to retire a Bengal, and there was no indication that he was upset at all with the team prior to his eventual departure. Cinci just wouldn't foot the bill when it came to resigning him. It's well documented that he was willing to take less money to resign rather than taking the Rams mega-deal. All our FO had to do was meet him halfway.

We should have given him every penny the Rams did.  We still haven't replaced his leadership in the locker room.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

We should have given him every penny the Rams did.  We still haven't replaced his leadership in the locker room.

yep.. no leadership now, and we have had nothing but garbage at his position since he left.

Just another example of the Bengals messing **** up

This team makes me tired

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Where did I fault the team?  Whether they consulted him or not about it, they drafted his replacement.  They had a plan, an awful one as it turned out, but the minute they did, the Whit era was essentially coming to an end, despite the performance on the field by both Whit and Cedric that strongly suggested that they were making a poor choice.

I guess i thought it was implied fault.

44 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

*Waits for news that Cordy Glenn didn't show up to practice and is suspended again*

Honestly, suspend him the rest of the season, game by game if they have to.  Don't let him throw a tantrum and get paid, it's just going to lead to more players doing that.  If he wants to quit, then he can forgo the money on his contract.  What do the Bengals have to lose?  It's not like we're FA desitnation #1 as it is, and the same guys who will come here now when we overpay will still come if we overpay.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...