Patrick Mahomes exits game with knee injury

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Damage is not the same thing as swollen. Damage was definitely found here. I spotted the “didn’t find “significant” damage” statement from a mile away. 

This is basic psychology here. “We found minor damage” is going to throw everyone into a frenzy and they would likely be crucified for playing Mahomes. 

Hmmm, what position do you hold within the organization? Obviously you know what they really meant.

I don’t work for the Chiefs so I’ll hold my opinion on what they meant until more information comes out. Instead of inferring based off one single statement. 

Also, interested in what other decisions you’ve seen the Chiefs make that makes it obvious they’re SB or bust. Is it playing Jones hurt? Oh wait.. oh obviously it’s when they played Hill hurt... oh wait. Oh I got it, it’s all the trades they’re making and selling the farm for talent this year... errr never mind.

4 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Hmmm, what position do you hold within the organization? Obviously you know what they really meant.

I don’t work for the Chiefs so I’ll hold my opinion on what they meant until more information comes out. Instead of inferring based off one single statement. 

Also, interested in what other decisions you’ve seen the Chiefs make that makes it obvious they’re SB or bust. Is it playing Jones hurt? Oh wait.. oh obviously it’s when they played Hill hurt... oh wait. Oh I got it, it’s all the trades they’re making and selling the farm for talent this year... errr never mind.

Two posts in a row twisting my posts based off your emotions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Lol, that’s a ridiculous spin on a statement. Non-significant could also just mean it’s swollen. How about holding off on the spin zone until the second opinion (non-team Doctor) and the decision about how they’ll handle it is made. 

I don't think that it's ridiculous. It's actually very reasonable. Nobody would include swelling as "additional damage". That would be omitted...it's not even worth acknowledging. I think that "additional damage" would likely mean something else structurally wrong seen on the MRI that wouldn't necessarily effect management. My money would be on a bone contusion, something that is incredibly common after an injury such as this one, and it would be a matter of pain control. A second opinion is not going to reveal what the "significant additional damage" actually is...because the additional damage is unlikely to effect the treatment plan. But I'm not going to pretend that the additional damage is swelling...that's just silly. If you are going to speculate...speculate on something realistic.

This is a classic case of when a player CAN return versus when a player SHOULD return. Sometimes the answer is the same, and sometimes the answer is different. This is part of the reason I hate high level Sports Medicine. Is there risk of returning him too soon? Of course there is. Anyone that tells you different is full of it. A hobbled Pat Mahomes who is already dealing with a high ankle sprain (slowing him down while interfering with his kinetic chain) is at risk for injury when compared to a healthy Pat Mahomes. If Pat Mahomes were you or I, his management would be significantly different. If he was a high school QB or a QB on a losing NFL team, his management would likely be very different. The $$$ and W/L factor is SIGNIFICANT in high level sports medicine and it doesn't always lead to players making the best decisions for their long-term health. Pat Mahomes was likely presented with the option of when he CAN return, and he took it...just like any NFL QB would do. Doesn't mean that it's the correct decision or the decision that is in the best interest of his long-term health.

• Like 2

If this was just a patellar dislocation the shorter timeframe would be very plausible with elite athletes healing at optimal rates and access to the best rehab / recovery supports.  

But in this case Mahomes was also playing through a significant ankle sprain that was limiting his mobility and lingered for several weeks.   There’s only one injury that fits - the HAS.   Only QB and interior OL / NT could play because of the ability to limit the need for quick cutting / change of direction.   

Why is that important?  Well, the risk of a cascade injury goes up dramatically if either the HAS or patellar dislocation lingers.   This was a fluke play so the HAS didn’t add extra risk - but now two key areas of the leg are healing.   The risk for a cascade injury to another area trying to compensate / protect the affected areas is sky high.  And by playing Mahomes has been prolonging the HAS recovery.  The only way to eliminate this risk is to let BOTH the ankle and patella heal completely.   To rush him back would be inviting a far greater risk of cascade injury than if it had just been a HAS or the patella injury alone.  

Still he’s young and was able to play through a likely HAS.   So it’s still possible it’s the short end of 3-4 weeks.  But it won’t be until BOTH the ankle and patella are fully healed given he’s their everything.  

It definitely could have been far worse.  But the ankle injury means there’s real potential for a longer recovery than the low end cited.  He likely doesn’t return until both the ankle and patella are 100 percent.   The risk otherwise isn’t worth it (but on the flip side if KC is smart 6 months from now he literally won’t carry any greater long term risk of re-injury).  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If this was just a patellar dislocation the shorter timeframe would be very plausible with elite athletes healing at optimal rates and access to the best rehab / recovery supports.  

But in this case Mahomes was also playing through a significant ankle sprain that was limiting his mobility and lingered for several weeks.   There’s only one injury that fits - the HAS.   Only QB and interior OL / NT could play because of the ability to limit the need for quick cutting / change of direction.   

Why is that important?  Well, the risk of a cascade injury goes up dramatically if either the HAS or patellar dislocation lingers.   This was a fluke play so the HAS didn’t add extra risk - but now two key areas of the leg are healing.   The risk for a cascade injury to another area trying to compensate / protect the affected areas is sky high.  And by playing Mahomes has been prolonging the HAS recovery.  The only way to eliminate this risk is to let BOTH the ankle and patella heal completely.   To rush him back would be inviting a far greater risk of cascade injury than if it had just been a HAS or the patella injury alone.  

Still he’s young and was able to play through a likely HAS.   So it’s still possible it’s the short end of 3-4 weeks.  But it won’t be until BOTH the ankle and patella are fully healed given he’s their everything.  

It definitely could have been far worse.  But the ankle injury means there’s real potential for a longer recovery than the low end cited.  He likely doesn’t return until both the ankle and patella are 100 percent.   The risk otherwise isn’t worth it (but on the flip side if KC is smart 6 months from now he literally won’t carry any greater long term risk of re-injury).  

Inherently a patellar dislocation causes stretching or damage to the MPFL. As such, he's at higher risk until he has a procedure or extended time to heal. 

If some teams get good licks on him, which they will eventually given his reduced mobility, there's a pretty high chance that he could get reinjured.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Inherently a patellar dislocation causes stretching or damage to the MPFL. As such, he's at higher risk until he has a procedure or extended time to heal. 

If some teams get good licks on him, which they will eventually given his reduced mobility, there's a pretty high chance that he could get reinjured.

Absolutely fair - for that reason he will for sure consider offseason surgery (hence my 6 month comment earlier).  The HAS that’s likely there though mandates an even more cautious approach though because that risk is now through the roof with 2 different areas affected and healing.  That’s my main point on why there’s a much wider recovery time cited than what was seen with Stafford.  

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What's the surgery or procedure do?

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What's the surgery or procedure do?

The knee is pretty complicated. It really depends. Sometimes you can repair/reconstruct the MPFL if it is stretched/torn. There are several other procedures involved. I'm not an orthopedic surgeon so it wouldn't be my call. But certainly, just thinking about ANYTHING involving the compromise of your patella, it can be very serious when you just take a step back and think of its importance to the structure of the leg. Just try imagining to walk without your achilles. It would be just as impossible to walk without your patella. 

Dislocated my kneecap early in my senior year of baseball so I guess I can share a little bit of insight....

The bases were loaded and I swung for the fences. Hit the ball to left field and....I was laying on the ground looking at my kneecap on the outside of my right leg through my baseball pants. Some girl behind home plate screamed "OH MY GOD!" as I watched my knee go back in place by itself.

My knee was VERY swollen for roughly 2 weeks but I could put about 50% weight on it so I wasn't completely immobile. After a couple more weeks of P.T. (lot of stationary bike, quad strengthening, and stretching), heat, & ice, the swelling subsided enough where I could walk about 90% normally. In the 5th week, I was back to doing things like light jogging, fielding grounders, and light batting practice.

I was back on the field full-strength by week 6 with a brace designed to hold my kneecap in place.

After the season, I was on the tailgate of my truck grabbing a shovel when my knee dislocated again. Same thing, less painful. And then it happened again and again and again. The more it happened, the less painful and the easier the recovery but I know I had to get it fixed. It's the simplest thing that can cause it to dislocate....climbing up on a tailgate, stepping off a step, hooking of a boat trailer, etc.

So during the summer, I had my MCL worked on. In simple terms, the MCL helps hold the kneecap in place. Well when it dislocates, it stretches out and isn't as tight. Think of a rubber band holding a deck of cards tight together. If you keep stretching it, all of a sudden the rubber band can't hold the cards together and they fall out.

In short, they trimmed my MCL down to make it tight again. I was walking on it w/brace right after surgery and was back to normal after 5-6 weeks.

Unfortunately, the 75% success rate of the surgery didn't pertain to me and I dislocate it maybe once a year now-a-days (including three weeks ago). I get about an hour of pain after I "walk it off" and 2 weeks of swelling with a slight limp and plenty of "tired feeling" discomfort/light pain.

Now, football is completely different than baseball....obviously. In my opinion, get the surgery now (like I wish I did). If he's going to be using that knee at the level that an NFL QB has to....he's going to risk re-dislocation. Eventually, it's going to become arthritic and we know what arthritis in the knee can do to world class athletes.

Shut him down and make sure it doesn't happen again. Get another 2-3 years out of him by doing that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

They should call this something else. 

Lol so many don’t understand that words meaning. Think “hidden/unknown “ and the dogma slides right off. 

Or keep the dogma stuck to the bottom of your shoe as it’s all good either way.