Week 7 GDT: "The FlaccoSeagulls Bowl" Seahawks vs. Ravens

AFlaccoSeagulls

Yes I'm going to make this post all about me, because I deserve it and this game only happens once every like 6 years or so.

Image result for Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson

"Flacco who you rooting for this weekend?!"

Me:
Image result for sweating meme

Yes I will be at this game wearing my #20 Ed Reed jersey.

As an expert on both teams here is my analysis:

These teams are basically mirror images of each other. Both offenses are very good, love to establish and stick with the run. The difference is the experience each QB brings. Russell is freaking magical in the 4th quarter and when trailing, while Lamar is still learning/developing. Both have physical RB's who will run straight over you, but both teams lack outside weapons and are hampered with injuries at WR/TE. 

Meanwhile, defensively, both teams lack any sort of pass rush. Seattle's defense is league average, while Baltimore's is among the worst in the league.

Special Teams is without a doubt advantage Ravens. Jason Myers is...okay and Michael Dickson has taken about 3 steps back from his amazing rookie season and this year has been nothing short of awful.

PREDICTION: Seahawks come out amped up at home against a team traveling across the country on defense. Ravens offense starts out fast, but Seattle eventually adjusts and challenges Baltimore to throw it down the field, but without Hollywood playing there's nobody to throw to. Eventually Russell Wilson is unleashed and the Seahawks go up by 10 points in the 3rd quarter and coast from there to a victory. Lamar plays well, but not great with limited weapons and the rushing attack stalling for most of the 2nd half while the defense fails to generate any stops or pressure.

Discuss.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

I think this week our offense has an uncharacteristically tough day running the football and we fall behind early.

Seahawks 34-23.

Head into the bye week at 4-3, get Jimmy back, get Marcus up to speed and let's see if we can't go 5-4 to end the year and win this crap division at 9-7.

Expecting a loss here as well largely because I just don't see how we stop or slow down Russ  - getting Peters in the building is great but it's a lot to ask for him to come in and lock things down after 2 days of practice. So mostly I'm just hoping for a fun game. Among other things I think it's a great test for Lamar. He's not one to shy away from the moment and he's already gone into Arrowhead twice so I trust him not to lay an egg but there's no doubt that a road trip to Seattle with the way they've been playing now is a massive, massive step. Particularly with Hollywood likely out, it's a lot to ask him to go drive for drive against the likely MVP which is what he's going to be asked to do just like he was a couple of weeks ago in KC, but I hope he can make things interesting. 

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Expecting a loss here as well largely because I just don't see how we stop or slow down Russ  - getting Peters in the building is great but it's a lot to ask for him to come in and lock things down after 2 days of practice. So mostly I'm just hoping for a fun game. Among other things I think it's a great test for Lamar. He's not one to shy away from the moment and he's already gone into Arrowhead twice so I trust him not to lay an egg but there's no doubt that a road trip to Seattle with the way they've been playing now is a massive, massive step. Particularly with Hollywood likely out, it's a lot to ask him to go drive for drive against the likely MVP which is what he's going to be asked to do just like he was a couple of weeks ago in KC, but I hope he can make things interesting. 

The best matchups for us IMHO at CB are:

Lockett --> Peters (Speed for speed)

Metcalf --> Humphrey (Nobody else on our team is even in the ballpark of being able to fight his physicality except for Marlon)

Moore --> Carr

If we do that, I think it gives us the best chances of containing them. I also think we ought to run A LOT of man coverage against Seattle. They love to do zone beaters, but if we just man up across the board and make Russell throw into man coverage that gives us our best chances. Pass rush NEEDS to show up though. Seattle is playing with backups all over their OL, which isn't good to begin with even when fully healthy. If Judon/McPhee/Ferguson/Bowser can't win against this group they can't win against anyone.

Interesting thing here is that IFFFF the Ravens go into Seattle and beat the Seahawks and Lamar shines... be could for the first time this season thrust himself towards the top of the MVP list. Winning the MVP is about narrative as much as play and what better narrative than “beating Russell Wilson” in one of the most difficult places to play in the NFL.

Also interesting will be how hard our guys play on defense. We’ve seen some lax efforts in some games this season, so getting up for this game would be an indicator that the defense buys into the brotherhood with Earl Thomas... they’ll want to “win this game for ET” to phone home. Really the same with the offense. If the team can really put on for this game it will be proof to me that they really buy into the team concept their building. I’m interested to see how the team shows up here.

Not expecting a whole lot out of this game tbh.  I had this down as a loss pre-season, and now that Russ is playing at an MVP level I think it's probably even more likely.  I just hope we put in a good performance whatever the result.

I do appreciate the late afternoon start time though - means tha game starts at 7:25am for me, instead of 4am