Trade deadline/thoughts

Mid Iowa

16 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Any cornerbacks available ☹️

Like Dome said...Harris from the Broncos could be available. Maybe get both Sanders and Harris. It would likely cost us the rest of our cap along with draft capital (such as a 1st rounder) but it could probably happen. It would certainly be a risk. There is no way to know if we could be able to resign either player, so it could be a 1st rounder for a one year rental. But it would fill the two biggest needs for the Saints with very good players. It would be the type of move that would make us the overwhelming favorite to win the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Like Dome said...Harris from the Broncos could be available. Maybe get both Sanders and Harris. It would likely cost us the rest of our cap along with draft capital (such as a 1st rounder) but it could probably happen. It would certainly be a risk. There is no way to know if we could be able to resign either player, so it could be a 1st rounder for a one year rental. But it would fill the two biggest needs for the Saints with very good players. It would be the type of move that would make us the overwhelming favorite to win the Super Bowl.

I know we have "a need" for these 2 spots, but a 1st round pick for 10-13 games with no guarantees after that... ugh. I'm not sure even Loomis would spend that heavy.

We've got a few days to see how things shake out with Apple, and perhaps we have an MRI by trade deadline. We need that CB!!! I'd love to have another receiver, but we need that CB!

Just now, Mid Iowa said:

I know we have "a need" for these 2 spots, but a 1st round pick for 10-13 games with no guarantees after that... ugh. I'm not sure even Loomis would spend that heavy.

We've got a few days to see how things shake out with Apple, and perhaps we have an MRI by trade deadline. We need that CB!!! I'd love to have another receiver, but we need that CB!

It doesn't look like an ACL tear. He'll probably be out a month or so. I still think that Sanders would probably be the more important move. We have some depth at CB to tie us over for a few games...I hope.

• Like 2

See how many balls Gin dropped yesterday? Or even on the year now? (at least he caught the one where he was all alone yesterday)

Saints need someone they can actually rely on behind Thomas. WR #2 is such a huge need still, more so than an Eli fill in in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

See how many balls Gin dropped yesterday? Or even on the year now? (at least he caught the one where he was all alone yesterday)

Saints need someone they can actually rely on behind Thomas. WR #2 is such a huge need still, more so than an Eli fill in in my opinion. 

I'd like to see some stats on Ted Ginn's drop rate with and without Brees.  He had drop problems in Carolina, but seemed to have them fixed with Brees, and now he's dropping balls again with Bridgewater.  I'm not deflecting blame from him, but just curious if that is what it seems like it is.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Would you spend a 1st round pick on a Super Bowl win?  That's more or less what we would be looking at.  We wouldn't be looking at signing them long them, it's all about this year and that's it. 

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'd like to see some stats on Ted Ginn's drop rate with and without Brees.  He had drop problems in Carolina, but seemed to have them fixed with Brees, and now he's dropping balls again with Bridgewater.  I'm not deflecting blame from him, but just curious if that is what it seems like it is.

I think he’s just a flukey guy. His first year here was the outlier. Everything besides that year is closer to what we should expect from him.

Edited by Dome

35 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think he’s just a flukey guy. His first year here was the outlier. Everything besides last year is closer to what we should expect from him.

That's probably true.  His catch percentage in 2017 was way higher than any other year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Raves said:

Would you spend a 1st round pick on a Super Bowl win?  That's more or less what we would be looking at.  We wouldn't be looking at signing them long them, it's all about this year and that's it. 

I don't know... I guess I'm not looking at our Superbowl potential being based on the addition of 1 guy, but hey, what do I know. It just seems like a huge price for a short term "maybe". Now, if it were for a 26 year old, I'd be more tempted. Don't get me wrong, I like the player, a lot. Just not sure about 1 round a lot.

Of course, I'm kind of getting used to not having a 1st round pick, so whatevs...

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I don't know... I guess I'm not looking at our Superbowl potential being based on the addition of 1 guy, but hey, what do I know. It just seems like a huge price for a short term "maybe". Now, if it were for a 26 year old, I'd be more tempted. Don't get me wrong, I like the player, a lot. Just not sure about 1 round a lot.

Of course, I'm kind of getting used to not having a 1st round pick, so whatevs...

I think the top offers for either be a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.  I also wouldn't trade the 1st unless it meant we got both in the trade and the Broncos restructured their contracts into a majority of signing bonus so that we could actually make the trade, so they'd be eating about 10-15 mil in the deal as well.  So a #2 WR, a #1 CB (though we already have one so we'd have 2 #1s and a #2 when Apple came back), and Denver eating 10-15 mil... I think that's worth a 1st rounder as that would more or less guarantee the Super Bowl.  Though I'm with you on thinking we could win it without making the trade as well, but it's just not as locked in.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I think the top offers for either be a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.  I also wouldn't trade the 1st unless it meant we got both in the trade and the Broncos restructured their contracts into a majority of signing bonus so that we could actually make the trade, so they'd be eating about 10-15 mil in the deal as well.  So a #2 WR, a #1 CB (though we already have one so we'd have 2 #1s and a #2 when Apple came back), and Denver eating 10-15 mil... I think that's worth a 1st rounder as that would more or less guarantee the Super Bowl.  Though I'm with you on thinking we could win it without making the trade as well, but it's just not as locked in.

So on the flip side, as people have said we're deep at secondary, who becomes our trade bait? Does this make one or some of our current guys expendable?

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

So on the flip side, as people have said we're deep at secondary, who becomes our trade bait? Does this make one or some of our current guys expendable?

The guys that would become expendable would be Apple (who we would likely want to keep long term), Williams and PRob, who are injured/suspended.  Also possibly the rook, but also someone we would like to keep long term.  So no trade bait, just super depth incase we have to face a 5 WR deep opponent.

• Like 1