Trade deadline/thoughts

Mid Iowa

3 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Missed out on Sanders... :(

I wish we could get in on some of these trades.  Dangled Peterson in front of us last year and gave us Apple(who is playing very well in fairness).  And now missed on Sanders.  

We'll probably wind up signing someone like Dez Bryant again.

So, do we really need another receiver? As in "really"?

Or is Michael Thomas so dang good, that's some of what we expect AND the QB's know that if anyone else is somewhat guarded, just throw it to Mike. You can't guard Mike.

I know the answer on Ginn. He's Stone Hands Henderson revisited, and can't be counted on. But we have 4 other guys besides MT and Ginn. 2 of them are rookies, so we really don't know anything about them yet, and the other 2 manage to make the 53 over many other guys, so what's the deal?

59 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So, do we really need another receiver? As in "really"?

Or is Michael Thomas so dang good, that's some of what we expect AND the QB's know that if anyone else is somewhat guarded, just throw it to Mike. You can't guard Mike.

I know the answer on Ginn. He's Stone Hands Henderson revisited, and can't be counted on. But we have 4 other guys besides MT and Ginn. 2 of them are rookies, so we really don't know anything about them yet, and the other 2 manage to make the 53 over many other guys, so what's the deal?

I think you answered your own question in there somewhere.

Another (quality) WR is absolutely needed. At some point teams are going to just triple Thomas and dare the Saints to beat them with the motley crew. Another WR could really open up the run game and more underneath stuff too I think. Especially a quality WR. 

• Like 1

Even when 3Quan is healthy, he still isn't very good.

I pretty much gave up on him this preseason when he tried to body catch a 50/50 ball in a 1on1 matchup. 

High pointing balls and contested catches are one of the things he was supposed to excel at. He looked as awkward as Taysom trying to catch a long bomb. 

I think we bring in Dez or someone else and roll with who we have right now. Maybe loomis works some cap magic and we go after someone like AJ Green, but that would likely mean trading away someone that needs a contract soon in order to accomodate. Marcus Williams would be the likely choice. 

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Even when 3Quan is healthy, he still isn't very good.

I pretty much gave up on him this preseason when he tried to body catch a 50/50 ball in a 1on1 matchup. 

High pointing balls and contested catches are one of the things he was supposed to excel at. He looked as awkward as Taysom trying to catch a long bomb. 

I think we bring in Dez or someone else and roll with who we have right now. Maybe loomis works some cap magic and we go after someone like AJ Green, but that would likely mean trading away someone that needs a contract soon in order to accomodate. Marcus Williams would be the likely choice. 

Except AJ hasn't suited up once yet this year. Who knows if he's even going to be healthy. 

Still holding out hope of a pipe dream for Keenan Allen or Corey Davis. One can hope....

Just now, SWATcha said:

Except AJ hasn't suited up once yet this year. Who knows if he's even going to be healthy. 

True. But he could be pulling a bit of a Ramsey. You never know.

Maybe he starts feeling better if he hears the Saints are interested. :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dome said:

I was talking with my brother (a Cowboys fan) about Dez a few weeks ago, and wondering if this was an option. I'd love to see him with the Saints again, just to see what could happen.

In this article, he said he'd like to give the Saints the first option at signing him.
Dez artile from USA Today

7 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I wonder if Josh Gordon can be an option if the Patriots release him from IR with an injury settlement and he gets healthy (he states he's close).

Unless he's a lockerroom distraction, I wouldn't mind taking a punt. What do you guys think?

He's worth taking a flyer on I suppose, but if the Patriots are done with him there has to be a reason. 

Pat's fans have said he hasn't been good this season. Not sure if that's due to injury or if he has just regressed. 

4 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I wonder if Josh Gordon can be an option if the Patriots release him from IR with an injury settlement and he gets healthy (he states he's close).

Unless he's a lockerroom distraction, I wouldn't mind taking a punt. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure he's the type of guy we "need" or want. Last year he quit, he's on the edge of substance abuse, and one more infraction and he's done for good with the NFL.

The guys is a machine, and is as fresh as a 7 year pro can be (only played 53 games). But he's a ticking time bomb, and as mentioned, if the Pats are done with him, there's a reason.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Not really interested in Gordon. Saints need another possession receiver that can line up anywhere and run the whole route tree. 

And, as other have said, if the Pats are done with him, there's a reason. 

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

My guess is that they will wait until after the deadline to make him go through waivers and have to get through all the bad and marginal teams (particularly the marginal ones who think they can make the playoffs) before getting to teams like the Saints / Packers / Niners. 

No to Gordon. Man...those Patriots sure know how to pick those WRs. :) They're just awful at it...well except for the small WR slot WRs that end up getting CTE because Brady absolutely gets them killed on a repeated basis. 

I really hope that the Saints get another WR. If Thomas or Ginn go down we have the worst WR corp in the NFL. 

Outside of Thomas and Ginn, all of our others have a combined SIX CATCHES THROUGH SEVEN GAMES. That has to be the worst in the NFL in regards to production from #3-5 WRs. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was historically bad (well not historically as in guys playing with leather helmets...I'm talking about modern football).

Devante Parker anyone? Saw some speculations in an article that listed Parker, Corey Davis, and Eiffert.

I wouldn't mind either Parker or Davis. My preferred target would be Davis though. I think that kid can play. He's just been mired in bad QB play his whole career so far.