Jets cut G Kelechi Osemele after he elects to have shoulder surgery

RaidersAreOne

On 10/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Jets are trying to get out of having to pay him money for nothing.  Once they fine him, he can be cut without having guaranteed money. Osemele would have to file a grievance,  but this dude knew he had a injury,  was healthy enough to start the season but now decides he wants surgery. 

It’s not as if KO signed to the Jets. He was traded there. It would surely be wrong for him to sign there knowing he had an injury. The injury might’ve happened during his time with the Raiders but the Jets traded for him. They are the ones that made a bad investment. They should’ve done more research before making this deal as opposed to being salty that they didn’t get a homerun/steal. Forcing an injured player to play hurt is the kind of stuff that only specific organizations do and it hurts their overall ability to recruit talented players.

Edited by diamondbull424

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s not as is KO signed to the Jets. He was traded there. It would surely be wrong for him to sign there knowing he had an injury. The injury might’ve happened during his time with the Raiders but the Jets traded for him. They are the ones that made a bad investment. They should’ve done more research before making this deal as opposed to being salty that they didn’t get a homerun/steal. Forcing an injured player to play hurt is the kind of stuff that only specific organizations do and it hurts their overall ability to recruit talented players.

You have to assume, knowing that the injury was preexisting, that KO and or his agent assured the Jets organization that he would be able to play through the injury at the time of the trade. It seems like KO is mailing it in with this surgery knowing that he will be cut at the end of the year. He's been awful and this will give him an excuse plus more time heading into free agency. The Jets probably have a right to feel cheated, but should end this pissing contest for the PR look alone. 

Edited by NJC33

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

You have to assume, knowing that the injury was preexisting, that KO and or his agent assured the Jets organization that he would be able to play through the injury at the time of the trade. It seems like KO is mailing it in with this surgery knowing that he will be cut at the end of the year. He's been awful and this will give him an excuse plus more time heading into free agency. The Jets probably have a right to feel cheated, but should end this pissing contest for the PR look alone. 

Or is it possible that after 6 games, his shoulder pain got worse? Or should I take off my tinfoil hat?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Or is it possible that after 6 games, his shoulder pain got worse? Or should I take off my tinfoil hat?

Who knows. Alex Lewis ran away with his job and I can’t imagine he’s thrilled about being a reserve. My guess is that this is all a ploy to preserve/restore his value for free agency and that’s why the Jets are taking this stance.

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Why do I have to assume this? We've seen front offices make trades for players before where they didn’t do their research. This isn’t like Antonio Brown signing with the Pats knowing full well he’s got a basket of dirty laundry about to fall off the clothes line.

I’m sure the Raiders team doctors also kept reports on KOs shoulder. The Jets had to pass KO on their physical for the trade to be complete... and they did.

Years ago the Ravens failed a WR for his physical as that player had gotten a high ankle sprain in the season and they felt it hadn’t healed properly for their tastes. Another team then quickly scooped that player up. All of these transactions are contingent upon the team doing their research and passing the player via his physical. Clearly the Jets team doctors were lax and the Jets front office research was lax and thus they got slightly taken advantage of, be it by some Raiders whose team doctors knew KO was a lost cause with that shoulder, by KO who wanted to continue getting paid, or perhaps by some combination. For all we know KO felt pressured to play by the toxic masculinity within the NFL and fully meant to play, but the pain got to be too great for that.

I mean I’ve had injuries where I tried to “tough it out” only for things to get worse. But all of these things point back to the Jets and their lack of inspired research. They for sure are not blameless. The bulk of the blame fall on them.

Though I am glad that a former Raven, Alex Lewis, is putting on for your team. Means he finally got healthy unlike with our squad (though hopefully they’re not pumping him full of opioids as well, perpetuating this league problem). 

55 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Who knows. Alex Lewis ran away with his job and I can’t imagine he’s thrilled about being a reserve. My guess is that this is all a ploy to preserve/restore his value for free agency and that’s why the Jets are taking this stance.

Doesn’t it sound reasonable that an injury - especially one that’s playability relies mostly on pain tolerance - got worse by playing football? Shrug. Seems more reasonable than Osemele is giving up on the season and wants to change his portrayal for FA. At minimum, it’s a legit injury with a couple doctors saying he should probably get surgery. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Someone bring this to the basketball forum, I remember all the people saying the Warriors team doctors would NEVER rush KD back from injury and they aren't to blame for his Achilles injury.

Not everyone who hurts their Achilles has a previous calf injury.

Hundreds of players have come back from calf injuries without blowing their Achilles.

KD wanted to play. He took a month off to rehab the injury and also felt good enough to play and he did not need toradol.

This is not eve close to the same thing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

honestly seems like the most likely scenario. I mean he could probably play the season and injury his shoulder more, but for what reason? Jets have too much cap space to justify this as the PR damage greatly supersedes the "principle" they're standing on.

Edited by Malik
  • Like 1