Jets cut G Kelechi Osemele after he elects to have shoulder surgery

RaidersAreOne

36 minutes ago, Totty said:

If this injury was from his time in Oakland, did he not have to pass a physical in order for the trade to go through, as well?  Did they intentionally not catch it?  Or let it slide?  

All players get a physical.   If a team notices a problem, they then have to decide to go ahead or void the deal.   Once they decide, they assume all the risk.   If their docs missed a problem that was serious enough that the deal should have been voided, it's still on the team, since it's their docs who examined the player. 

No matter how you slice it, this is 100 percent all on the New York Jets org.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

I was very hesitant to respond because I knew the reaction it would trigger, but you asked for my opinion, so this is for everyone questioning my ethics lol

I may have used malingering out of context, my mistake. I have never once questioned the diagnosis, but I do question whether or not the circumstances of the injury have gotten any worse; based on everything I've read, the only change in circumstance has been Osemles status on the depth chart. 

Unpopular opinion: I don't blame the Jets for feeling cheated. From their prospective, they gave Osemele $12mil to play football, starter/back up all the same, and believe that if KO were still starting he'd be willing to push off surgery till after the season (It's fair to assume this is what both sides agreed on before the trade was finalized). With that being said, I've also never supported this childish stubbornness from Douglas and co. It was obvious how this would all play out, and simply idiotic of the Jets to think otherwise. 

In short, I believe KO is making a business decision to prepare for his next contract, and I can understand/respect that. I can also understand why someone who just gave the guy $12mil would feel bamboozled if they didn't believe the injury had gotten any worse, which once again, from what I've read it hasn't. This is my opinion as an outsider, the Jets on the other hand, should've realized the microscope in which they operate under and how this would be perceived by the media.

I can understand that. And by the way, I'm not blaming you or questioning your ethics. I can understand the Jets' frustration...being frustrated is completely fine. I'm also frustrated that the Saints gave an ENORMOUS contract to Jarius Byrd who was also playing through injury when he was signed and it essentially made him worthless. Did fans bash him? Absolutely. And that is where I draw the line. It's ok to be frustrated or angry over the situation but bashing a player over an injury? I think we need to evolve past that. It's ok to be frustrated but they took this thing to a whole different level and they will pay for it.

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I can understand that. And by the way, I'm not blaming you or questioning your ethics. I can understand the Jets' frustration...being frustrated is completely fine. I'm also frustrated that the Saints gave an ENORMOUS contract to Jarius Byrd who was also playing through injury when he was signed and it essentially made him worthless. Did fans bash him? Absolutely. And that is where I draw the line. It's ok to be frustrated or angry over the situation but bashing a player over an injury? I think we need to evolve past that. It's ok to be frustrated but they took this thing to a whole different level and they will pay for it.

This isn't about bashing a player over an injury, rather the circumstances surrounding that injury. 

The media has spun the narrative so that the average fan is left thinking the Jets are simply refusing to acknowledge that KO has a torn labrum despite medical evidence pointing to the contrary. That is far from the truth.

The Jets are 100% wrong for making a spectacle of this entire situation, that doesn't necessarily mean KO is in the right either. 

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Everyone knows KD was rushed back. A lower “calf” injury, doctors said the injury “couldn’t get worse”. He’s clearly hobbling around in warm ups, they let him play and oh wow... he tore his Achilles.

Yea, I wasn’t arguing with what I said. It was simply fact. 

13 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

This isn't about bashing a player over an injury, rather the circumstances surrounding that injury. 

The media has spun the narrative so that the average fan is left thinking the Jets are simply refusing to acknowledge that KO has a torn labrum despite medical evidence pointing to the contrary. That is far from the truth.

The Jets are 100% wrong for making a spectacle of this entire situation, that doesn't necessarily mean KO is in the right either. 

I just came from the Jets forum. This is just silly. The Jets aren't refusing to acknowledge the torn labrum, they believe that he is fabricating his level of disability/pain from the torn labrum for secondary gain...which is beyond stupid. Of course a completely torn labrum is going to cause significant disability and pain. Whether or not there is secondary gain is completely irrelevant. And go to the Jets forums...there are TONS of fans bashing KO over this stating that he is just trying to get out of work because of was benched.The guy is trying to GET SURGERY...it's just nuts to believe that an NFL football player would WANT surgery in order to get out of work. The guy very likely wants surgery so that he has an outside chance of resuming his career one day because it's incredibly difficult to be productive pro with the use of one shoulder. Any person on this forum with make that same exact choice. The Jets and their fans need to just drop it.

12 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I just came from the Jets forum. This is just silly. The Jets aren't refusing to acknowledge the torn labrum, they believe that he is fabricating his level of disability/pain from the torn labrum for secondary gain...which is beyond stupid. Of course a completely torn labrum is going to cause significant disability and pain. Whether or not there is secondary gain is completely irrelevant. And go to the Jets forums...there are TONS of fans bashing KO over this stating that he is just trying to get out of work because of was benched.The guy is trying to GET SURGERY...it's just nuts to believe that an NFL football player would WANT surgery in order to get out of work. The guy very likely wants surgery so that he has an outside chance of resuming his career one day because it's incredibly difficult to be productive pro with the use of one shoulder. Any person on this forum with make that same exact choice. The Jets and their fans need to just drop it.

You are missing the point.

Osemele has been dealing with a completely torn labrum predating his trade to the Jets, meaning he understood fully the degree of pain he would be required to play through when he initially decided forgo surgery and commit to playing for the Jets this season. It boils down to whether or not you believe the injury has gotten worse resulting in this sudden surgery and subsequent benching.  If I thought that was the case, I would defend the guy whole heartedly, but I don't. 

None of this justifies what the Jets are doing, but it provides context, which everyone here seems to be missing. There are two sides to every story.. 

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Osemele has been dealing with a completely torn labrum predating his trade to the Jets, meaning he understood fully the degree of pain he would be required to play through when he initially decided forgo surgery and commit to playing for the Jets this season. It boils down to whether or not you believe the injury has gotten worse resulting in this sudden surgery and subsequent benching.  If I thought that was the case, I would defend the guy whole heartedly, but I don't. 

None of this justifies what the Jets are doing, but it provides context, which everyone here seems to be missing. There are two sides to every story.. 

To provide context, over 90% of Sports Medicine cased initially are managed conservatively. Very few conditions conditions jump directly to surgery. Many cases that end up needing surgery are first managed conservatively, even successfully for a period of time. It happens ALL THE TIME. The fact that it was pre-existing is irrelevant. He has a surgical case...everyone agrees that he should have surgery...except the Jets, their team physician, and their fans. If that is "what it boils down to", then this is incredibly simple. You could chose to believe a number of independent physicians, or you can choose the Jets organization along with their frustration and paranoia. There are two sides of the story and I have zero confidence that the Jets are on the correct side. Be angry, frustrated, paranoid all you want...wear your tin-foil hat proudly...KO is going to win this, the Jets are going to lose, and how much the Jets lose will largely be determined by when they finally decide to just move on. 

19 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The 2 sides-to-every-story angle works to explain the past acrimony.  It doesn't explain the actions since the 3 outside opinions are now public.  

The Jets org and any fans who keep piling on KO are in the wrong.   It's that simple now.   Context absolutely matters to explain the past - but not today, not now. 

3 hours ago, kramxel said:

Just because guys play injured all the time doesn't mean they can't have the surgery when they want to, it's their prerogative.

It's not the team's choice to make when it comes to delaying surgeries.

This is not slavery, guys!

Let's not go there. The only slavery in existence now is human-trafficking. The NFL doesn't qualify.

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

To provide context, over 90% of Sports Medicine cased initially are managed conservatively. Very few conditions conditions jump directly to surgery. Many cases that end up needing surgery are first managed conservatively, even successfully for a period of time. It happens ALL THE TIME. The fact that it was pre-existing is irrelevant. He has a surgical case...everyone agrees that he should have surgery...except the Jets, their team physician, and their fans. If that is "what it boils down to", then this is incredibly simple. You could chose to believe a number of independent physicians, or you can choose the Jets organization along with their frustration and paranoia. There are two sides of the story and I have zero confidence that the Jets are on the correct side. Be angry, frustrated, paranoid all you want...wear your tin-foil hat proudly...KO is going to win this, the Jets are going to lose, and how much the Jets lose will largely be determined by when they finally decide to just move on. 

This just simply isn't true, and supports my previous statement that the media has created a false narrative for people to buy into. 

No one, not the Jets, their physician, or their fans are disputing the medical diagnosis. Surgery is inevitable, as it usually is with this type of injury. Putting off surgery until the offseason, which is a decision predicated on pain management, that is the dispute. Is KO's pain worse than it was when the Jets traded for him? That is the unknown.  

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The 2 sides-to-every-story angle works to explain the past acrimony.  It doesn't explain the actions since the 3 outside opinions are now public.  

The Jets org and any fans who keep piling on KO are in the wrong.   It's that simple now.   Context absolutely matters to explain the past - but not today, not now. 

People act like these 3 outside opinions are some type of revelation, as if the Jets weren't fully aware of the diagnosis before KO took to Instagram. The guy has been battling a fully torn labrum since he was a Raider, which is why context is needed now more than ever.  

2 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

This just simply isn't true, and supports my previous statement that the media has created a false narrative for people to buy into. 

No one, not the Jets, their physician, or their fans are disputing the medical diagnosis. Surgery is inevitable, as it usually is with this type of injury. Putting off surgery until the offseason, which is a decision predicated on pain management, that is the dispute. Is KO's pain worse than it was when the Jets traded for him? That is the unknown.  

But that's also not true. Pain is part of it, but disability is another SIGNIFICANT part of it. I tore my labrum. I could live with the pain, I couldn't live with the inability to lift my arm above the level of my shoulder and do pushups, which was required by my job. With a completely torn labrum, it is very possible that Osemele had functional limitations that negatively impacted his performance on the field. He wasn't getting better with rehab, so surgery is ABSOLUTELY the correct answer. In regards to the question of when? The answer is right away...not after the end of the season. You wait until after the end of the season, you continue to have the pain and functional limitation, and you also put the next season into jeopardy. You also put yourself at right for developing a chronic pain syndrome such as CRPS or develop compensatory injuries such as a tendinopathies. Surgery is 100% the correct answer if he has functionally limiting complete labrum tear. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

People act like these 3 outside opinions are some type of revelation, as if the Jets weren't fully aware of the diagnosis before KO took to Instagram. The guy has been battling a fully torn labrum since he was a Raider, which is why context is needed now more than ever.  

Then the Jets docs shouldn’t have cleared him if the labrum was completely torn.  But either way the Jets are still on the hook.  

That’s the problem with your take.  It’s completely ludicrous to have ok’d the deal on their end.   

I’ve got no dog in this show.  But this honestly makes the Jets FO look like a Mickey Mouse org and completely untrustworthy.   And the fanbase fares no better here in defending their current position.