Jets cut G Kelechi Osemele after he elects to have shoulder surgery

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Who knows. Alex Lewis ran away with his job and I can’t imagine he’s thrilled about being a reserve. My guess is that this is all a ploy to preserve/restore his value for free agency and that’s why the Jets are taking this stance.

That’s exactly what it is. And I’m always pro-player, hell im still pro-AB after all he did but KO is clearly focused on next off-season. 

And if that’s the case then fine but you’re not getting paid your guarantee for refusing to work.

17 minutes ago, Malik said:

honestly seems like the most likely scenario. I mean he could probably play the season and injury his shoulder more, but for what reason? Jets have too much cap space to justify this as the PR damage greatly supersedes the "principle" they're standing on.

He hasn’t played in 3 weeks and the injury suddenly flares up and he needs surgery? I don’t think so. We’re the Jets but we’re not fools.

12 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Not everyone who hurts their Achilles has a previous calf injury.

Hundreds of players have come back from calf injuries without blowing their Achilles.

KD wanted to play. He took a month off to rehab the injury and also felt good enough to play and he did not need toradol.

This is not eve close to the same thing.

Players always want to play, it’s the doctors job to make the correct medical decision. KD wasn’t even close to 100% and they rushed him back which resulted in his torn Achilles. It’s the same situation, it’s a team doctor doing what’s best for the TEAM not the PLAYER. It’s disgusting.

Edited by MookieMonstah

Maybe he's playing poorly because he's got a torn shoulder, and maybe since being benched he's been exploring his options.

I'm incredibly confused. Are people actually claiming that he's refusing to play to increase his stock? That he's currently healthy and wants to undergo surgery that will end his season, and that will make teams want him more than if he plays well this season? That seems counter-intuitive.

The Jets were likely going to cut him after the year, does this effect them being able to cut him? Isn't his salary this year already guaranteed since he was on opening day roster?

Teams are now allowed to trade injured players. I can't see a team wanting to trade for him unless the Jets were trading salary cap space to a team in need.

This is a first for the Jets. We do have a new GM and Coach though. But I've never seen something like this before. Is this common around the NFL?

11 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He hasn’t played in 3 weeks and the injury suddenly flares up and he needs surgery? I don’t think so. We’re the Jets but we’re not fools.

“Well if I’m not going to play, better to get the surgery now than wait until offseason and be in pain until then.”

You guys have tinfoil hats here.

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

“Well if I’m not going to play, better to get the surgery now than wait until offseason and be in pain until then.”

You guys have tinfoil hats here.

That seems to be exactly what's going on though, and is being reported as well. I recall some raider fans believing Osemele mailed in it after his big pay day, so this sort of thing wouldn't be uncharacteristic. 

Osemele is trying to save face, and this will give him an excuse for his poor play and subsequent benching as he's trying to negotiate his next contract. I don't doubt that he needs surgery at some point, but this move is about KO's ego and bank account. If I were paying someone 12mil and believed they mailed it in i'd be a little ticked off too. 

38 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

That seems to be exactly what's going on though, and is being reported as well. I recall some raider fans believing Osemele mailed in it after his big pay day, so this sort of thing wouldn't be uncharacteristic. 

Osemele is trying to save face, and this will give him an excuse for his poor play and subsequent benching as he's trying to negotiate his next contract. I don't doubt that he needs surgery at some point, but this move is about KO's ego and bank account. If I were paying someone 12mil and believed they mailed it in i'd be a little ticked off too. 

So play through the pain and get paid or have my surgery now and still get paid? Think Imma have my surgery now and head out coach. Don't forget those checks you guys still owe me because I did need this surgery for getting hurt on the field. I don't see what the problem is. I could see if he hurt himself outside of playing Football. 

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So play through the pain and get paid or have my surgery now and still get paid? Think Imma have my surgery now and head out coach. Don't forget those checks you guys still owe me because I did need this surgery for getting hurt on the field. I don't see what the problem is. I could see if he hurt himself outside of playing Football. 

This is the problem. 

Osemele is capable of playing but is choosing not to because he is no longer the starter. If he wanted to have surgery that should've been communicated/decided before making a commitment to the Jets that he would play through the injury (Which i'm sure both KO and his agent did to facilitate the trade with Oakland)

If surgery was actually dire at this time, this wouldn't be a story. The Jets feel like they're getting played, 12mil is a lot of money to pay someone who you believe just quit on you. Regardless, they're better off just cutting him and moving on.

10 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

This is the problem. 

Osemele is capable of playing but is choosing not to because he is no longer the starter. If he wanted to have surgery that should've been communicated/decided before making a commitment to the Jets that he would play through the injury (Which i'm sure both KO and his agent did to facilitate the trade with Oakland)

If surgery was actually dire at this time, this wouldn't be a story. The Jets feel like they're getting played, 12mil is a lot of money to pay someone who you believe just quit on you. Regardless, they're better off just cutting him and moving on.

He's on the bench now, so how is it a problem? You found my replacement. I tried to play through the injury and it cost me my starting spot. Why can't I have my surgery now so I can compete for the starting spot next year here or somewhere else? 

35 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

He's on the bench now, so how is it a problem? You found my replacement. I tried to play through the injury and it cost me my starting spot. Why can't I have my surgery now so I can compete for the starting spot next year here or somewhere else? 

He's being paid to play football starter/back up all the same. Depth is important in football. Osemele quit on the team because his ego couldn't handle getting benched. If he wanted to start competing for a spot and inevitably a new contract next year, he should have let the Jets  know before they traded for him, not after they benched him. 

Edit: This is assuming the injury hasn't gotten worse all of sudden and his play is a product of that. If so I would understand it from a business prospective and support KO. Based on everything i've read, that didn't happen, he's just been bad. 

Edited by NJC33

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

He's being paid to play football starter/back up all the same. Depth is important in football. Osemele quit on the team because his ego couldn't handle getting benched. If he wanted to start competing for a spot and inevitably a new contract next year, he should have let the Jets  know before they traded for him, not after they benched him. 

Edit: This is assuming the injury hasn't gotten worse all of sudden and his play is a product of that. If so I would understand it from a business prospective and support KO. Based on everything i've read, that didn't happen, he's just been bad. 

He's benched so he's only playing if a guy gets hurt correct? He did hurt himself while playing football correct? He played through the injury and lost his job. Maybe the effect of his injury is why his play declined. Now your going tell me you don't want to pay me my money because Now that I'm no longer needed as much (aka the starter) I'm selfish or my ego is taking over because Now I'm deciding to have my surgery? I waited for surgery being a Team Player.  

I tried to play through the injury and it cost me my starting spot. Rather than participating in practice causing more harm to myself and know I'm not starting, I'm gonna just have the surgery now while you guys have somone starting in my place.

Don't call me selfish while I'm on the bench but where praising me when I was playing through the pain because I was A Starter and tryna be a Team Player. You have my Replacement aka the New Starter. Pay me my Money!

Before any trade don't players have to past a physical? I thought so. So how is he faking anything? He tried to be a team player and it cost him is starting position. Find a new Backup Jets. 

Edited by Skins212689

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

You’re reaching. You have no idea how bad his injury is, how it may have worsened, or how necessary the surgery is. Even the Jets don’t know, only man himself does. He’s saying one thing, the Jets are saying another. Pretending to be sure it’s ego is silly. 

It takes more than “well it sort of makes sense” to call someone a quitter who only cares about his value. If an employee came to you and said “the pain in my medically diagnosed shoulder is too much, I’m going to do what they say and get surgery”, and your response was “too bad, show up to work or you’re getting fined”...you’d run into a union grievance or two. And you’d also be a POS.

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’re reaching. You have no idea how bad his injury is, how it may have worsened, or how necessary the surgery is. Even the Jets don’t know, only man himself does. He’s saying one thing, the Jets are saying another. Pretending to be sure it’s ego is silly. 

It takes more than “well it sort of makes sense” to call someone a quitter who only cares about his value. If an employee came to you and said “the pain in my medically diagnosed shoulder is too much, I’m going to do what they say and get surgery”, and your response was “too bad, show up to work or you’re getting fined”...you’d run into a union grievance or two. 

The fact that he played through the injury before being benched is their argument I assume. That to me is him being a Team Player. Witch lead to him losing his starting job and than gives him even more validation to say now is the time to have the surgery because it's Affecting my Play. 

13 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

The fact that he played through the injury before being benched is their argument I assume. That to me is him being a Team Player. Witch lead to him losing his starting job and than gives him even more validation to say now is the time to have the surgery because it's Affecting my Play. 

Yeah but it doesn’t hold water. 

A) Playing aggravates most injuries, I would assume. I think that’s not only a fair assumption, but a given one. 

B) If he’s not contributing, what feasible reason is there to live through the pain rather than get the surgery ASAP? Hm, do I want to have 3 months of shoulder pain, followed by surgery, recovery, and then limited value in FA (because shoulder surgery doesn’t buff someone’s value)? Or do I want to get the surgery ASAP, feel better sooner, and maximize the time I have this season to rehab instead of rehabbing out of my own pocket? It’s a no brainer. If anything, his job being taken by Alex Lewis means this move makes more sense, not less. What’s he got left to contribute as an injured backup?