Jets cut G Kelechi Osemele after he elects to have shoulder surgery

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah but it doesn’t hold water. 

A) Playing aggravates most injuries, I would assume. I think that’s not only a fair assumption, but a given one. 

B) If he’s not contributing, what feasible reason is there to live through the pain rather than get the surgery ASAP? Hm, do I want to have 3 months of shoulder pain, followed by surgery, recovery, and then limited value in FA (because shoulder surgery doesn’t buff someone’s value)? Or do I want to get the surgery ASAP, feel better sooner, and maximize the time I have this season to rehab instead of rehabbing out of my own pocket? It’s a no brainer. If anything, his job being taken by Alex Lewis means this move makes more sense, not less. What’s he got left to contribute as an injured backup?

Nothing so that's why it makes sense now for him to have his surgery. Why shouldn't he be paid? While he was starting he was more viable to the the team. Now he just sitting on the bench. This is the time to have surgery. While starting he was being a Team Player contributing as a Starter. 

Edited by Skins212689

On 10/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, N4L said:

Yep. Hard to know for sure what is happening in this scenario with osemele, but the guy has had motivation issues for a few years now. He was JACKED when he was on the Ravens and his first year + on the raiders. Then he slimmed down considerably and wasn't playing with the same fire that made him one of the best maulers in the league.

not sure what to make of this.

Kelechi BEFORE, with the Raiders, and AFTER, with the Jets:

Image result for kelechi osemeleImage result for image skinny black man

Edited by bzane
  • Like 1

He was healthy enough to play before he got benched. Nothing about his health has changed. And now that he's not starting he wants to get surgery. Seems like he's just being a baby about not starting bc he looked awful. But if you could play if you were starting... you can play as a back up.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He was healthy enough to play before he got benched. Nothing about his health has changed. And now that he's not starting he wants to get surgery. Seems like he's just being a baby about not starting bc he looked awful. But if you could play if you were starting... you can play as a back up.

How is he playing as a backup? He's on the bench. Why shouldn't he get his money? He played hurt as starter and the injury cost him his job. Now he wants to have the surgery so he can compete again for the starting position rather than just ride the bench. I don't see the problem. Now not a STARTER he's more focused on himself aka his injury (witch cost him his starting job) than being a bench guy. Tell the Jets to sign another backup and pay this man his money. 

54 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

How is he playing as a backup? He's on the bench. Why shouldn't he get his money? He played hurt as starter and the injury cost him his job. Now he wants to have the surgery so he can compete again for the starting position rather than just ride the bench. I don't see the problem. Now not a STARTER he's more focused on himself aka his injury (witch cost him his starting job) than being a bench guy. Tell the Jets to sign another backup and pay this man his money. 

So every player that's slightly banged up (could play if they were starting) should just go get surgery bc they're butt hurt they're not starting? The league would have 1/2 the backups they do if that were the case. If you were healthy enough to start... then you're healthy enough to be a backup.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So every player that's slightly banged up (could play if they were starting) should just go get surgery bc they're butt hurt they're not starting? The league would have 1/2 the backups they do if that were the case. If you were healthy enough to start... then you're healthy enough to be a backup.

I think any player that's injured enough to warrant surgery has the right to get that surgery done, regardless of how that timing affects his team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

It's not about being butt hurt, it's about his injury affecting his play. 

It's like a regular person being diagnosed with a cold but they try to finish their shift at work (even though the doctor told them to take a couple days off) yet they get fired or written up for not performing efficiently enough while sick. They were tryna be a TEAM PLAYER yet it cost them their job or displanary action. That's not right. 

Edited by Skins212689

On 10/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, candyman93 said:
On 10/18/2019 at 4:42 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

**** the Jets that's evil

I am not in anyway saying this is okay. It’s a terrible culture.

However, this isn’t just a Jets thing. 

I'm not saying that it's only a Jets thing, nor should anyone take it that way. But you can include the Jets in this overall culture right now, because they're trying to persuade a player out of surgery that his doctors say he needs and instead shooting him up with pain medication. Who knows what that will do for his long term shoulder health, and besides that, pain is exhausting. No player will ever perform well enough when they're structurally hurting like he is.

**** any team that does that. I said the same thing with the Trent Williams/Washington fiasco, and I'll say the same thing the next time this crap happens. Right now, I'm saying it about the Jets.

• Like 1

So let's recap:

1.  Osemele has the injured shoulder. Not in dispute.

2.  Jet's 1st MD says he can play with it.  Osemele says his shoulder still hurts.   

3.  TWO 2nd opinions are done by independent MD's - who then say, sorry, he needs it now.   Not one, TWO.

4.  Team insurance carrier signs off on it.

5.  NYJ still doesn't want to sign off on it - and oh btw, didn't release the 2nd opinion to Osemele/agent.  Forget the BR stuff, whose wild allegations would be a huge problem, we do know from Osemele/agent that their initial requests for the 2nd opinion were met with no response, until they took it public.

But yes, by all means - let's paint Osemele as the bad guy here.   He may have had those other issues - but it sure sounds like NYJ was trying to weasel their way out of a contract year that is guaranteed....for injury.   Pretty bad optics for NYJ here.  I say that with ZERO invested in the Jets, or Osemele.

To put it simply....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4