Jets G Kelechi Osemele may require should surgery; Jets attempting to make him practice/play

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Does Joe Douglas have any bearing on this situation whatsoever?

I don’t want to make assumptions, but easy to read between the lines: 

Jets have been monitoring his shoulder dating back through the date he was acquired being that it was a preexisting injury. Osemele has been telling the Jets he’s able to play, and likely put off surgery in the offseason for whatever reason (a lot of players play through it, so could’ve been something he was going to repair post-career). Play hadn’t been good, so decided to rest him and play Lewis. Lewis excelled and Jets let Osemele know that he’d be the starter.  Osemele’s stance changed from “I can play through it” to “I need surgery” which would allow him to collect his salary without losing downtime in the offseason (torn labrum repair is about 8-12 weeks).

Jets ticked off because Osemele went from “I can play through it” to being demoted and claiming he no longer can, and now seeking to be paid for doing nothing. Regardless if you side with him or the Jets it’s pretty clear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t want to make assumptions, but easy to read between the lines: 

Jets have been monitoring his shoulder dating back through the date he was acquired being that it was a preexisting injury. Osemele has been telling the Jets he’s able to play, and likely put off surgery in the offseason for whatever reason (a lot of players play through it, so could’ve been something he was going to repair post-career). Play hadn’t been good, so decided to rest him and play Lewis. Lewis excelled and Jets let Osemele know that he’d be the starter.  Osemele’s stance changed from “I can play through it” to “I need surgery” which would allow him to collect his salary without losing downtime in the offseason (torn labrum repair is about 8-12 weeks).

Jets ticked off because Osemele went from “I can play through it” to being demoted and claiming he no longer can, and now seeking to be paid for doing nothing. Regardless if you side with him or the Jets it’s pretty clear. 

ProFootballDoc lays the facts out there well, which lead to my conclusion: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-10-19/profootballdoc-osemele-jets-dispute-injury-shoulder

So my take is that the Jets are butt-hurt that Osemele went from being a guy who consented to playing through it, to becoming unmotivated and essentially wanting to get paid to recover for another team in 2020, while guys like Brian Winters could easily shut it down but are playing through all kinds of nagging injuries for the sake of the team (Gase’s comment about Winters was telling)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

ProFootballDoc lays the facts out there well, which lead to my conclusion: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-10-19/profootballdoc-osemele-jets-dispute-injury-shoulder

So my take is that the Jets are butt-hurt that Osemele went from being a guy who consented to playing through it, to becoming unmotivated and essentially wanting to get paid to recover for another team in 2020, while guys like Brian Winters could easily shut it down but are playing through all kinds of nagging injuries for the sake of the team (Gase’s comment about Winters was telling)

56 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He’s the one doing this from what I can tell. He’s head of football operations.

I was wondering cause he’s the Twitter villain in all of this 

Both sides are technically wrong in this. But for me it’s Osemele who’s more wrong. Like others have stated. If you were fine to play when you were starting, you’re fine to play as a backup. Not a single thing has changed in his injury status. Just his playing status changed.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've said it before that this will make us look bad. I don't believe he's using this as a recovery year because of someone in his position can't risk it. He needed this year to potentially earn a better deal and to continue to be a starter. Nobody wants surgery. Especially when you're 30 and one struggling. Players don't clear themselves to be game ready. If that was the case, Game Time Decision players would be completely different. If this dude was a top LG, everyone would believe him but because he struggled, people are assuming he quit and wants to prepare for a new team. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, I've said it before that this will make us look bad. I don't believe he's using this as a recovery year because of someone in his position can't risk it. He needed this year to potentially earn a better deal and to continue to be a starter. Nobody wants surgery. Especially when you're 30 and one struggling. Players don't clear themselves to be game ready. If that was the case, Game Time Decision players would be completely different. If this dude was a top LG, everyone would believe him but because he struggled, people are assuming he quit and wants to prepare for a new team. 

I think the other layer in this is that Osemele wants to assure he gets paid this season. He already has gone on record saying he fully intends on being cut this offseason, meaning there could have been worry that he could get released mid-season as well. If the agent caught wind that Osemele would be benched (likely from him himself), I'm sure they would be savvy enough to use it as an opportunity to assure their client would collect the remainder of his salary. 

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I was wondering cause he’s the Twitter villain in all of this 

Douglas? Yeah this kind of is in his hands. Gase doesn’t have the “power” to control this. CJ would step in but i doubt he steps on Joes toes. 

Douglas clearly ain’t buying what KO is selling. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Both sides are technically wrong in this. But for me it’s Osemele who’s more wrong. Like others have stated. If you were fine to play when you were starting, you’re fine to play as a backup. Not a single thing has changed in his injury status. Just his playing status changed.

Should the Jets just allow him to get the surgery and pay him his remainder?

Me and you agree that he’s definitely only doing this because he’s not playing. 

i wonder if the Jets can compare his medicals from his physical when we traded for him to the ones now and show there was no further structural damage.

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Should the Jets just allow him to get the surgery and pay him his remainder?

Me and you agree that he’s definitely only doing this because he’s not playing. 

i wonder if the Jets can compare his medicals from his physical when we traded for him to the ones now and show there was no further structural damage.

Ya I’m not sure about what the Jets can do to get out of the money. I honestly don’t think they can. But I don’t blame them for trying. Like you stated... the best angle seems to be to show that his injury is the exact same as when he said he was good to go. That nothing has changed. Injury hasn’t gotten worse to all of a sudden need surgery now. 

• Like 1

Just cut this useless guy and move on. He quit on us but we aren’t going to win this battle because he does technically have an injury that requires surgery. Only thing he got hurt this season was his ego that he no longer is a starting caliber OG. Another Mikey Mac move that didn’t work out. Move on Joe D. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Just cut this useless guy and move on. He quit on us but we aren’t going to win this battle because he does technically have an injury that requires surgery. Only thing he got hurt this season was his ego that he no longer is a starting caliber OG. Another Mikey Mac move that didn’t work out. Move on Joe D. 

Lol that’s probably what the Jets wanted to do, but they don’t want to be on the hook for the additional $5m