Well does Fatty Patricia get fired?

BZski

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

What do you mean by "knocking on the door early on"? Do you mean they played teams everyone thought would be better than they are? If that's the case I agree. The wins over Philly and LAC looked impressive at the time, but now aren't so great. They kept it close with KC (even had a 99.9% win probability in the 4th quarter) but once again found a way to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Who hired Pasqualoni? Who's a defensive guru who's defense keeps making guys like Trubisky look like all pros? It's staggering how many times an opponent scores on the final possession of the half/game this season. 

Good teams with good coaching overcome injury issues. 

Expectations are meaningless. Results matter. The results of the the efforts by BQ and MP are not good enough by BQ's own standards used to fire Caldwell.

Knocking On Door: Yes, the team was playing better than many of us and the national media expected them to. They would have had sole possession of first place in the NFC North if they were awarded the W in the Packers game for at least the time being. It might not have lasted but the wheels really fell off around that time. 

At the end of the day, Patricia is the HC. He hired Pasqualoni and it's his job to ensure the defense, the offense and special teams are all playing as well as they should be. We don't know how much game planning and/or game day responsibility that Pasqualoni or Patricia have. Whether it's his fault or not, Pasqualoni is going to be the scapegoat at the end of the season. 

I was interested to take a look at things and see how many games we've lost to injury. I principally focused on starters and key back ups.

Offense - 13 guys x 12 games = 156 Games

Games Played = 138 or 88%

Defense - 16 guys x 12 games = 192 games

Games Played = 165 or 85%

This doesn't really dive into quality players (ex. impact of Stafford or Slay's injury) or quality of play while they were in and battling an injury (ex. Snacks). 

This is a total of 45 games lost. I don't know how Football Outsiders does their calculation. If we gross it up for the rest of the season, we'd be sitting around 10th least injured team in 2018. Assuming that seasons average out similarly and even add in some deviation, we're probably no worse off than the 15th or 16th injured team. 

So, overall... I guess all of us, including myself, can throw away the narrative on the injuries. Stafford's does hurt but we've seen a few cases where the back-up QB has come in and won some games (NO and CAR are perfect examples). 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, Karnage84 said:

The Lions are going to screw this thing up by playing good defense, running the ball and winning the game. It would just be such a Lions thing to do. 

So you would rather our players play as bad as possible? Wouldn't that indicate were even further from contending?

1 minute ago, detroitroar said:

So you would rather our players play as bad as possible? Wouldn't that indicate were even further from contending?

It's just a joke. There's not a lot to be happy with at this point other than getting a really good player with a top 3-6 pick. 

We had a top 10 defense at the end of last season and are near the bottom of the league at this point in the season. There isn't a direct correlation between good play the season before translating to success on the field the following year. 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Karnage84 said:

I think for anyone wishing that Patricia/Quinn fail out is just a naysayer for naysayers sake. I don't expect this team to overcome all of the injuries and other items that have factored into where they're sitting now. My expectation is that we're going to lose out. I'm expecting and hoping that we get games like the Bears game, where we're competitive but are just missing the difference makers to put things over the hump. If things go the way we are expecting, we are likely seeing the Bengals and Giants at 1 and 2. There's a chance we could be sitting there at #3 or #4. The Bengals are likely going to need a QB for their new regime and Burrow is a prime target. If Tua is showing to be recovered from his injury, it wouldn't shock me to see the Dolphins make a move to trade up for him. This would lead us into a prime spot to take Chase Young. We'd have generational talent as an instant difference maker at a prime position which also happens to be a position of need. 

I want Patricia and Quinn to succeed. I don't want this team to go through yet another rebuild. I want to see a competitive Lions team with Matthew Stafford at the helm playing in games that truly matter in December and beyond. It might happen and it might not. Losing out this year isn't going to make much of a difference on next year except for putting us in a better draft position. If that's what is going to be the difference maker to right this ship, I'm good with it. 

It's not so much that I like Patricia or Quinn... I think there has been some highs that give me hope and a lot of lows that leave me with more questions than answers. I just don't think that it's good for an organization to have that much turnover in such a short period of time. With the team that they've assembled, it's very specific to the things that they want to do. So we'd be looking at another 2-3 years of retooling a roster for the next coach, getting pennies on the dollar for FA's and draftees who don't fit the new scheme (see KVN). 

Bevell has been the best OC Stafford has had in a long time. This offense has been humming. They've had the big play element without a lot of the mistakes that come with a downfield attacking scheme. 

The papers and Lions media love writing stuff for you to buy up my man. 

Keep on spending that money and watching these losers. I'll tune in when they're some actual change happening. So people will pay and buy hope cause they've got no other choice I guess. It's definitely not logic lol. 

It's just a running joke to read a lot of you post imo at this point.

Edited by SimbaWho

15 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

The papers and Lions media love writing stuff for you to buy up my man. 

Keep on spending that money and watching these losers. I'll tune in when they're some actual change happening. So people will pay and buy hope cause they've got no other choice I guess. It's definitely not logic lol. 

It's just a running joke to read a lot of you post imo at this point.

It doesn't cost me anything except for a little aggravation on Sundays. 

I'm glad to see that I can keep you entertained. The field on the play certainly isn't. 

• Like 1