Well does Fatty Patricia get fired?

BZski

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think Quin and Patricia should get a third year.  There are some things that I think could pay immediate dividends though:

1.  Move Jarrad Davis to OLB and and put Tavai inside as a starter.  Davis would be a terror at OLB and better than Christian Jones.  Tavai has flashed and should be on the field more.

2.  Replace Paul Pasqualoni as defensive coordinator.  We are just not getting it done.  

3.  Get Marvin Hall on the field more often.  His speed will create more space.  Skinny posts, standard post routes, whatever.  

4.  Simplify our offensive blocking schemes.  There are way too many problems and guys look like they are thinking too much.

5.  Make a trade that will improve out RT position or our pass rush.  Or both.  

I bit the bullet and signed up for PFF Edge. I was curious on how our perceptions match up with a resource like this.

Davis and Jones are the worst rated guys on the defense by far, which falls in line with what we've all discussed. I don't expect they'll trade Davis (at least not mid-season) but it wouldn't shock me to see them bring in another LB, let Tavai play MLB and shift Davis into more of a pass-rushing role.

Wagner's our lowest rated OL with Decker following close behind. Glasgow and Ragnow are rated quite high, which is a positive.

Stop believing in Quinn after the Patricia hire, supported firing Caldwell but hated the Patricia hire from the start. You're not going to hurt my feelings firing this guy being as I've never believed in him. These are pretty privileged people that live good lives that know the job is short lived. I'm not a bleeding heart for Coaches jobs. If it's not all about money than winning is the results of a mans work in sports. Unfortunately it's all about the money pretty much. We see coaches get an extra year or two... It's why Chargers leave SD. Rams too, Oakland... Blah blah blah. 

This team won't fire anyone. They literally don't have to. They'll sell a bunch of tickets again, people will pay attention.

The bought and paid for Lions media machine around here will have people believing in them again by the end of next year's draft. No matter the moves they make... Right or wrong...

Passing on guys like DT  Ed Oliver... LB  Devin bush... Tisk tisk. I mean Hock looks like a solid kid, but Idk how much better the team got with him on the team when they has James signed prior. Ed Oliver or Devin Bush would of made real impacts imo, on the defense.

Ignoring the G position has imo hurt the line and run game. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Stop believing in Quinn after the Patricia hire, supported firing Caldwell but hated the Patricia hire from the start. You're not going to hurt my feelings firing this guy being as I've never believed in him. These are pretty privileged people that live good lives that know the job is short lived. I'm not a bleeding heart for Coaches jobs. If it's not all about money than winning is the results of a mans work in sports. Unfortunately it's all about the money pretty much. We see coaches get an extra year or two... It's why Chargers leave SD. Rams too, Oakland... Blah blah blah. 

This team won't fire anyone. They literally don't have to. They'll sell a bunch of tickets again, people will pay attention.

The bought and paid for Lions media machine around here will have people believing in them again by the end of next year's draft. No matter the moves they make... Right or wrong...

Passing on guys like DT  Ed Oliver... LB  Devin bush... Tisk tisk. I mean Hock looks like a solid kid, but Idk how much better the team got with him on the team when they has James signed prior. Ed Oliver or Devin Bush would of made real impacts imo, on the defense.

Ignoring the G position has imo hurt the line and run game. 

The Chargers, Rams and Raiders all left because of stadium issues and taxpayer dollars. We can argue the merits for or against public dollars being used to fund athletic stadiums, but that's a whole different thing.

The reason that nobody is going to get fired immediately is because it would be a knee jerk reaction on a complete organizational reset. Regardless of where the philosophy's started (this one just happened to come out of NE), they go deep and well beyond things on the field. We're talking when the guys work out, when they hold meetings, what they're practicing, when they do film study, when they have lunch and snack breaks, etc. There has been a ton of roster churning and getting guys in that fit what they're looking for and who are buying into things. If things seem to be moving in the right direction, they'll stick with it. If things go off the rails and it doesn't appear they'll improve, then they'll hit reset again. This is a team that we all expected would start 1-5 out of the gate. Cards was a win and they'd get blown out every other game. This is a team that should be at minimum 3-2-1 or even 4-2. There is still a ton of football ahead of us. There isn't enough of a sample size to determine who this team really is and who they'll be moving forward.

We all know that TE's struggle coming into their rookie season. Hock's season could look very differently if not for a couple drops in the endzone. I was wrong in my expectations that James could have been TE1 (although in fairness to myself, I also did say they weren't expecting him to be a superstar either).

I do agree that we should have looked at the OG position and addressed it. It has been a huge gap in things.

• Like 2

i don't think matty is going get fired. worst case if we don't have a winning record after next yr fire him. like others have said it would be a knee jerk reaction to fire anybody after the packers & vikes game.. if we beat the giants & raiders before the bears match up well be 4-3-1. we have to beat the bears that week. we cant go 0-3 in the division. I see us making a small deadline move or 2. MAYBE Denver for a rb & von miller or something along.

4 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

i don't think matty is going get fired. worst case if we don't have a winning record after next yr fire him. like others have said it would be a knee jerk reaction to fire anybody after the packers & vikes game.. if we beat the giants & raiders before the bears match up well be 4-3-1. we have to beat the bears that week. we cant go 0-3 in the division. I see us making a small deadline move or 2. MAYBE Denver for a rb & von miller or something along.

I don't think the Broncos will move Von and if they do, it wouldn't be a small move.

8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The Chargers, Rams and Raiders all left because of stadium issues and taxpayer dollars. We can argue the merits for or against public dollars being used to fund athletic stadiums, but that's a whole different thing.

The reason that nobody is going to get fired immediately is because it would be a knee jerk reaction on a complete organizational reset. Regardless of where the philosophy's started (this one just happened to come out of NE), they go deep and well beyond things on the field. We're talking when the guys work out, when they hold meetings, what they're practicing, when they do film study, when they have lunch and snack breaks, etc. There has been a ton of roster churning and getting guys in that fit what they're looking for and who are buying into things. If things seem to be moving in the right direction, they'll stick with it. If things go off the rails and it doesn't appear they'll improve, then they'll hit reset again. This is a team that we all expected would start 1-5 out of the gate. Cards was a win and they'd get blown out every other game. This is a team that should be at minimum 3-2-1 or even 4-2. There is still a ton of football ahead of us. There isn't enough of a sample size to determine who this team really is and who they'll be moving forward.

We all know that TE's struggle coming into their rookie season. Hock's season could look very differently if not for a couple drops in the endzone. I was wrong in my expectations that James could have been TE1 (although in fairness to myself, I also did say they weren't expecting him to be a superstar either).

I do agree that we should have looked at the OG position and addressed it. It has been a huge gap in things.

I'm just a dude that'll see through the hype, the junk talk, and evaluate players/coaches/GM's/Ownership myself. I don't need a sports writer or media machine to tell me what I don't know. I get they left because of stadium issues, but it boils down to money. MONEY. MONEY! If they got tax payer dollars for new stadiums to significantly raise the value of the franchise then all those teams would of stayd. Believe that. You can't convince me the Chargers specifically are drawing a larger crowd in LA.

Jarrad Davis, Flowers, etc, are Patricia/Quinn guys. They've kept enough and gone through enough players over the last two off-season's that they should be better quite frankly. But they rinse and repeat the same mistakes for a team with not a ton of talent. You can't sign a lot of the average players they have and expect them to turn into pro's or great players just cause it's the Patriot way. You also can't sign guys to big money and not have them perform( James/Flowers/Wagner) The best signing so far is Coleman, imo. On top of it Patricia wasn't brought in for a complete overhaul/rebuild in spite of how you'd like to explain his short comings. I could understand better if that's what I was sold but I was sold he's going to make/build a better team that Caldwell and... pfft, it's just not true. 

They sign Diggs to big money... and turn around and trade him. Ha! Just another laughable move they made like signing Flowers to a zillion dollar that a certain poster tried to say he'd never live up to. 

Just like TJ Hockenson's draft position, Just like the hire of the coach to begin with. They're just rolling a bunch of complete non-sense moves together and... well... you get nonsense as the product my man. If it walks, quacks, and looks like a duck... it's prolly a duck man. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm just a dude that'll see through the hype, the junk talk, and evaluate players/coaches/GM's/Ownership myself. I don't need a sports writer or media machine to tell me what I don't know. I get they left because of stadium issues, but it boils down to money. MONEY. MONEY! If they got tax payer dollars for new stadiums to significantly raise the value of the franchise then all those teams would of stayd. Believe that. You can't convince me the Chargers specifically are drawing a larger crowd in LA.

Jarrad Davis, Flowers, etc, are Patricia/Quinn guys. They've kept enough and gone through enough players over the last two off-season's that they should be better quite frankly. But they rinse and repeat the same mistakes for a team with not a ton of talent. You can't sign a lot of the average players they have and expect them to turn into pro's or great players just cause it's the Patriot way. You also can't sign guys to big money and not have them perform( James/Flowers/Wagner) The best signing so far is Coleman, imo. On top of it Patricia wasn't brought in for a complete overhaul/rebuild in spite of how you'd like to explain his short comings. I could understand better if that's what I was sold but I was sold he's going to make/build a better team that Caldwell and... pfft, it's just not true. 

They sign Diggs to big money... and turn around and trade him. Ha! Just another laughable move they made like signing Flowers to a zillion dollar that a certain poster tried to say he'd never live up to. 

Just like TJ Hockenson's draft position, Just like the hire of the coach to begin with. They're just rolling a bunch of complete non-sense moves together and... well... you get nonsense as the product my man. If it walks, quacks, and looks like a duck... it's prolly a duck man. 

You're right. If they got the stadium money, they would have stayed. It wasn't because of tickets or whatever else. The play on the field and the coaching, good or bad, for each of these organizations isn't the reason for the move. At least not directly. Maybe there's more jobs in the stadiums and in the surrounding areas when they're more successful but it's only one factor in the decision's made by the local communities. The Chargers aren't drawing a larger crowd right now because they're using a MLS stadium. LA is also a unique place. There's lots to do, people generally aren't sport fanatics to the same level as in other places, you have tons of ex-pats from various regions of the US and the world, etc. I would guess that this should change when they get into their own stadium.

I think there is confusion from us as Lions fans about what Patricia was brought in to do. Caldwell was a proverbial 9-7 coach. The idea is that the team had enough of the right guys on the roster to remain at 9-7 and go beyond that. However, when a new HC comes in they are running the show and can make wholesale changes. Coming in late after the Super Bowl, I think Patricia was constantly on his heels last year. It's possible that the organizational shift was way more than planned or maybe they felt they needed to strip things down and build it up to where they wanted to get things. My main point is that it's a fair assumption to think that Patricia was going to walk into Caldwell's old team and lead them to double digit wins. In fact, it seems that he went his own direction and wanted to build the team his way. It hasn't worked yet. It might never work out. It could lead to perennial playoffs. It's still a wait and see.

As for Diggs, he played well and he earned it. They didn't have a guy like him on the roster and he got his money. They signed Coleman and drafted Harris. Diggs wasn't playing up to par. I would rather they kept him until at least the off-season but they felt they got the best value for him and wanted to get other guys on the field.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...