Are you buying the Colts' success?

Apparition

One season draft I take all over Jacoby: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson,  Philip Rivers, Pat Mahomes, Big Ben, Lamar Jackson, Andy Dalton, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Jimmy G, Jared Goff, and Kyler Murray over Jacoby. 

That comes out to 19 I suppose, less than I thought. Still puts him at 20. 

Andy - Good QB. Possibly worst OL in history. And Zac Taylor sucks. I’d take Dalton all day long over Jacoby and his overall limitations. Jacoby is not a better QB than Andy Dalton. This is just

1. Recency bias (something this forum is famous for), 

2. Short sample stat bias,

3. Situation bias. (not looking at other QB situations, and also not looking that Jacoby has a Top 5 OL and Top 4-5 Offensive Minded Coach). 

Baker - I’ll take the Baker of last year over Jacoby and still think Baker has more potential than Jacoby could dream of. And I am farrrrr from a Baker fan. 

Dak Prescott - Sure, he’s not that great. But he’s still a solid QB that I think is overall much better than Jacoby and would also be dominating on the Colts. At least on par with Jacoby at minimum. 

Kyler Murray- Absolutely electric. That Colt Offense would be way better with Murray at the helm, 100% guaranteed. 

Edited by BayRaider

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

One season draft I take all over Jacoby: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson,  Philip Rivers, Pat Mahomes, Big Ben, Lamar Jackson, Andy Dalton, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Jimmy G, Jared Goff, and Kyler Murray over Jacoby. 

Andy - Good QB. Possibly worst OL in history. And Zac Taylor sucks. I’d take Dalton all day long over Jacoby and his overall limitations. Jacoby is not a better QB than Andy Dalton. This is just

3. Situation bias. (not looking at other QB situations, and also not looking that Jacoby has a Top 5 OL and Top 4-5 Offensive Minded Coach). 

Baker - I’ll take the Baker of last year over Jacoby and still think Baker has more potential than Jacoby could dream of. And I am farrrrr from a Baker fan. 

Dak Prescott - Sure, he’s not that great. But he’s still a solid QB that I think is overall much better than Jacoby and would also be dominating on the Colts. At least on par with Jacoby at minimum. 

Kyler Murray- Absolutely electric. That Colt Offense would be way better with Murray at the helm, 100% guaranteed. 

You still haven't addressed the question of what it is in Brissett's game that you dislike that makes you feel this way about him.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

You still haven't addressed the question of what it is in Brissett's game that you dislike that makes you feel this way about him.

He’s a limited QB with extremely  limited arm strength and average Pocket Presence at best. You can watch his games before this season to see all of his known flaws and clearly see he’s a backup/spot starter QB. He is getting masked by a Top 5 OL right now. Just like Carr in 2016. The thing with Jacoby though, is we’ve already seen his limitations and know he is being propped up by a Top 3-5 Offense Minded Coach and Top 3-5 OL. With Carr, we didn’t find out until after it was gone.

Tell me Jacoby is a franchise QB. Say it right now. You won’t. Because he’s not. 

And I like the Colts to a degree, always have. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’s a limited QB with extremely  limited arm strength and average Pocket Presence at best. You can watch his games before this season to see all of his known flaws and clearly see he’s a backup/spot starter QB. He is getting masked by a Top 5 OL right now. Just like Carr in 2016. The thing with Jacoby though, is we’ve already seen his limitations and know he is being propped up by a Top 3-5 Offense Minded Coach and Top 3-5 OL. With Carr, we didn’t find out until after it was gone.

Tell me Jacoby is a franchise QB. Say it right now. You won’t. Because he’s not. 

I can buy Brisett being a franchise QB until proven otherwise. 2017 was a horrible team and he definitely took his lumps but it's unfair to judge his performance on that team. He's better than Andy Dalton IMO and probably on par with someone like Cousins.

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You know, of all the criticisms of Brissett as a prospect, his arm strength was always praised during the pre-draft process and there's been nothing at the NFL level to contradict that, which makes me think you're just pulling this out of your arse.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You lost me at Andy Dalton. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yes, I said the day Luck retired that team is still good enough to win 10-11 games. Jacoby is a good QB. You can see every week they put more and more of the offense on him and he answers the bell.

Same here. Never doubted Brissett could be a starter in this league. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You're judging him based on his play as a rookie 3rd stringer and when he was traded to a team less than a week before the season started and just thrown into game situations.

• Like 3

The Colts have a top 5 OL.  Maybe the top OL.

They have a HC who understands how to blend metrics into old-school evaluation. 

They have a D coordinator who showed everyone how to stifle the KC machine at KC.    And who's so well-thought of, he's seen as 1 of the "next ones" to make it up to the HC ranks next year.

Finally, they have a GM who understands how to fit talent to scheme.   Ballard's top priority this offseason was getting CB's who could solidify their pass coverage.   The only thing missing is an EDGE rusher, but I suspect Ballard will do everything he can to fix that.  And much like Howie Roseman - he understands cap management at an advanced level.  Whereas Roseman has to navigate comp picks / cap on a contender that's got their QB into their 2nd contract now, so it's dealing with limited cap space - Ballard created a ton so he can manage the needed extensions with Brissett (who likely is staying, a rookie will take way too long, and at their spot, nothing great will be there), Hooker, Geathers, Anthony Costanza & Ryan Kelly done, and then all-world Quinten Nelson & Leonard in the 2020-21 offseason.   They are in great shape to keep their core and still be in decent cap shape to get difference makers to fill in their few roster holes.

Now, their O is more limited if they fall behind.  That's unavoidable when you lose Luck, and you have to go to Brissett.  They could probably use a 2nd WR weapon, they were hoping it was going to Parris Campbell, but rookies take time.  No doubt if he's not flashing enough by the end of the year, Ballard will address that as well.   And yes, Ballard IMO got lucky he found Reich as a "consolation prize" to Josh McDaniels.   But that doesnt' take away from what IND has going.

Do I think they are an elite team?  Not quite.  Do I think they can beat ANY team in the NFL?  Absolutely.   Great trench play, coaching, and a savvy GM who's got them in fantastic cap shape, they are absolutely legit.  The fact they are young, in great cap health, and blessed with both elite coaching and GM management, they're absolutely legit - and built for the long run, too.  I expect them to be playing in a lot of January's the next 3-4 years.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Anyone who bets against Frank Reich in the back-up QB department literally doesn't know the definition of irony here/isn't old enough to remember him.

Lol. In both college and pro. 

Reich is a baller coach, the Colts were smart to hire him. Elite coaches are rare, and Reich is elite. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Frank Reich is an elite head coach. 

This is my takeaway. It doesn't matter who you put in front of him in terms of a roster, he's going to put together a competitive gameplan and get guys in position to win against anyone. 

This team seamlessly transformed from a pass heavy unit that leaned on Luck to a run heavy unit that's riding Marlon Mack to the top of the division.

Reich knows what he's doing.