Are the Chargers struggles purely because of injury?

Slingin' Sammy

7 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

If you just completely ignore their horrific OLine like a lot of people did over the offseason then yea they’re the most disappointing team in the NFL.

I think they can be disappointing while still acknowledging the OL issues. The Chargers haven’t had a strong OL in years and even the decent ones haven’t been deep at all. I don’t think those issues excuse the poor performances pretty much across the board.

623551774-e1481680237873.jpg

So it all starts with this guy. He's the guy that was offered the existing stadium in San Diego, and the land under it but turned his nose up at the offer because he wanted developmental rights to the land surrounding the stadium as well. He pushed for a do or die ballot initiative in San Diego CITY, without allowing any significant amount of time before the ballot. Despite the counties interest in keeping the team, he turned down an offer from the NFL to further sweeten the pot to stay of 100 million in free money towards renovating the QUALCOMM site and instead opted to pay 500 million to relocate to Los Angeles and be a tenant in the Ram's building. That has worked out to the tune of the best sign of support the Chargers have in Los Angeles, is the weekly flyovers from the San Diego fans calling Spanos an Inept Weasel.

On to the nepotism of putting his sons who are qualified by being his sons in positions of power. https://www.thescore.com/news/766594 On Paper they control both football and Business operations of the club.

Let's not forget that this is the same weasel that kept Dr Chao on staff for years despite all the license reviews and claims of malpractice versus the former Chargers doctor. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/06/19/chargers-doctor-chao-hospitals-barred-surgery/2439715/ Reoccurring theme here with the current medical staff.

The team is run by a loser and will be losers. This was still enough when it was San Diego's team that I loved them. Now they are Los Angeles' problem. Rivers is my last tie to the team and barring some major changes in the way it is run, I can't see myself continuing to support them when he and his 42 kids are gone.

Lynn was hired following Mccoy and Norv. Milk toast coaches that won't cause waves. Lynn is milk toast and had some early success due to having stability at QB. I give him no other credit other then he was lucky enough to not get in Rivers' way too much. Once teams figured out the teams only option was to rely on River's and decode the offense, then the wheels fell off, just like with Mike and Norv. You add in Telesco completely ignoring the offensive line despite going into the offseason with SAM FREAKIN TEVI as a starter and you can see why this team, quite frankly looks like steaming monkey poo and smells like it too. Injuries hurt. Every team has injuries though. This is an organizational problem though. It goes back through coaches, GM's and straight back to our inept ownership that we can't fire. Lets not forget the famous GM AJ SMITH saying, "We Want to get back to being a playoff team." He didn't say a championship like Belichick says. No, the playoffs are quite enough for the Chargers.  https://www.pe.com/2012/01/03/chargers-turner-aj-smith-coming-back/ They just need to keep collecting that NFL shared revenue. Spanos is a weasel and the NFL should remove him because he has no interest in producing a winner. I promise, once Rivers is gone, this franchise will be 00's  Cleveland Browns, or 70's Buccaneers type of bad.

• Like 3

Players aren't executing. Maybe it's a coaching problem. Also, when is the last time the Chargers had an intimidating defense with a reputation for putting the clamps on suckers? The mid to late 2000s? Feels like it's been the Rivers show since Tomlinson left, and the D faded to dust. Lack of home field advantage doesn't help either.

Edited by PapaShogun

I shouldn't feel this way because he's spent so much of his career torching my team, but I feel bad for Philip Rivers. A genuinely excellent QB who has suffered through awful ownership, poor head coaches, injuries at key positions for years, choking kickers, and just about everything else it's possible to have go wrong for you.

I don't think it's unfair to say that if you look back to his 14 years as a starter in the league, he's had just about the best supporting cast (of players) you could ask for. If you totaled the Madden ratings of all players at the start of each season in this time frame, I'd be willing to bet the Chargers would be in the top 5 overall. It's a simplistic way of looking at it, but I think it highlights how badly run the organization is, that they can continually have that level of playing talent and do next to nothing with it. 5 playoff wins and 1 AFCC game in 14 years, and they're not making it this year either. They've had a remarkably long window of potential success by NFL standards, and if anyone in the league deserves a ring, it's Rivers - but he's not going to get one because he plays for a team run by a stubborn old moron who has continually made dreadful decisions for his team.

• Like 1

Injuries derailed our season, playcalling, and lack of accountability ruined it.

There also seems to be an inability to see the big picture. Players and coaches can get too focused on a single play, or a single game, and see positives, yet when you look at the big picture, this team is beyond a trainwreck....

Our starting O-line was nowhere near the level it should with all the starters, and the backups are even worse. So the real problem isn't injuries.

Our starting interior D-line, was a joke before the season.

Our linebacker group was already being phased-out last year and didn't get better. Thomas Davis is old and slow.

Our secondary was one of the strengths of this team and got trashed by injuries, so yeah injuries did play a part there.

Our edge rushers are elite, but without linebackers or interior linemen to help they can be double teamed all game.

Then you have Wisenhunt that has always been very conservative with the playcall, trying to force the run with guys that can't block, and a RB that decided to holdout and came back utterly flat (2,3 ypc and 3,8 ypr with 2 fumbles on 45 touches), instead of keep going with Ekeler, or adjusting.

Talent wise I might give a pass to Gus Bradley, but adjustments should and could be made regardless of talent poo,l 6 in the box on obvious running downs ain't gonna cut it.

Until today I was giving a pass to Lynn, I think he has the right personality to be HC, but when the going gets tough, and what you're doing isn't working then there's what you see if people are really coherent with their whole principles and accountability talk. And he's definitely starting to slide on that department...

• Like 2

With Rivers I’d like to see a new stat called “Possession to Score ratio” because he must be one of the worst ever at finishing drives.  Doesn’t have to be a passing TD it can end in a FG, just a score of some kind.  And delete the LT years.

His track record for not making plays at critical times must be the worst ever. I know he can throw the ball but he has never had that magic that makes a QB a winner.

11 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

With Rivers I’d like to see a new stat called “Possession to Score ratio” because he must be one of the worst ever at finishing drives.  Doesn’t have to be a passing TD it can end in a FG, just a score of some kind.  And delete the LT years.

His track record for not making plays at critical times must be the worst ever. I know he can throw the ball but he has never had that magic that makes a QB a winner.

In this "stat" I'm sure theres plenty of games like yesterday where he puts the team in position and the RB fumbles, kicker misses a high percentage kick etc

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

Injuries derailed our season, playcalling, and lack of accountability ruined it.

There also seems to be an inability to see the big picture. Players and coaches can get too focused on a single play, or a single game, and see positives, yet when you look at the big picture, this team is beyond a trainwreck....

Our starting O-line was nowhere near the level it should with all the starters, and the backups are even worse. So the real problem isn't injuries.

Our starting interior D-line, was a joke before the season.

Our linebacker group was already being phased-out last year and didn't get better. Thomas Davis is old and slow.

Our secondary was one of the strengths of this team and got trashed by injuries, so yeah injuries did play a part there.

Our edge rushers are elite, but without linebackers or interior linemen to help they can be double teamed all game.

Then you have Wisenhunt that has always been very conservative with the playcall, trying to force the run with guys that can't block, and a RB that decided to holdout and came back utterly flat (2,3 ypc and 3,8 ypr with 2 fumbles on 45 touches), instead of keep going with Ekeler, or adjusting.

Talent wise I might give a pass to Gus Bradley, but adjustments should and could be made regardless of talent poo,l 6 in the box on obvious running downs ain't gonna cut it.

Until today I was giving a pass to Lynn, I think he has the right personality to be HC, but when the going gets tough, and what you're doing isn't working then there's what you see if people are really coherent with their whole principles and accountability talk. And he's definitely starting to slide on that department...

On that last point about Lynn, I still don't know what we have with him as coach. I don't agree with Boltstrike that he only succeeded because he let Rivers do his thing. In fact, I loved that Lynn challenged him and forced him to cut down his turnovers the last two years. Not a surprise that Rivers had his two of his best seasons when that happened. But the fact that the same mistakes keep happening this year with the entire team is frustrating. Joys of being a Charger fan. Just when you think you turn a corner, you're reminded that this is still the same old Chargers. This is the Alworth's curse.

• Like 1