Are the Chargers struggles purely because of injury?

Slingin' Sammy

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Same thing happened in SD.

It was never this bad in SD. You’d get about a 50/50 split for many games, and maybe a 70/30 effort if the Raiders and all their LA fans were in town, but SD generally supported its team compared to how it is now they’re in LA. Now you’re lucky if you’ve got 5k Chargers fans in the stadium. It’s embarrassing for the team and the league.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

LAC sucks and the thing is LA fans know it. That's why the Chargers hosted a Steelers home game.

Rams don't suck and when they played the Niners, it was majority Niners fans. Both LA squads just don't get that type of love.

11 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The chargers could go 16-0 and LA fans still wouldn't give a damn

Correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

LAC abandoned their fans in SD. That's part of it.

But the other part of it is, honestly, Football isnt that important in LA. They've got baseball, basketball, hockey all of which have been consistently better than the football teams. It doesnt get any more fairweather than LA football fans.

The Rams and Chargers would've gladly settled for fairweather fans last season when they both made for the playoffs, but they were still playing essentially away games at home.

In truth, the bolded should read: "It doesnt get any more nonexistant than LA football fans" (except for USC).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

It was never this bad in SD. You’d get about a 50/50 split for many games, and maybe a 70/30 effort if the Raiders and all their LA fans were in town, but SD generally supported its team compared to how it is now they’re in LA. Now you’re lucky if you’ve got 5k Chargers fans in the stadium. It’s embarrassing for the team and the league.

That's because tickets are a lot cheaper at SD than it is at the soccer stadium.

28 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The Rams and Chargers would've gladly settled for fairweather fans last season when they both made for the playoffs, but they were still playing essentially away games at home.

In truth, the bolded should read: "It doesnt get any more nonexistant than LA football fans" (except for USC).

That's extremely true.

Thing is, idk why SD didnt pursue a venue like Vegas or somewhere where there were fans begging for a football team. They had to know going in that LA wouldnt work out. I could see them ending up back in SD at.some point.

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

LAC sucks and the thing is LA fans know it. That's why the Chargers hosted a Steelers home game.

Steelers have always invaded our stadium even back in San Diego(see Chargers/Steelers 2005 and 2006). It's far worse in L.A but not anything shocking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

There have been some games close to this year's Steelers game in fan takeover. If you watch our 2015 last home against Chiefs it's easily 80/20. San Diego has only supported and come out in groves when the team is dominating but most years it's a issue. It's a big reason why we had so many blackouts in San Diego

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That's extremely true.

Thing is, idk why SD didnt pursue a venue like Vegas or somewhere where there were fans begging for a football team. They had to know going in that LA wouldnt work out. I could see them ending up back in SD at.some point.

I honestly think it's just over-confidence. Each owner that tries to go to LA thinks that they're the one who can finally figure out how to crack that market.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I honestly think it's just over-confidence. Each owner that tries to go to LA thinks that they're the one who can finally figure out how to crack that market.

The Raiders have been the only team that LA has really loved.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

It’s not overconfidence. LA Rams have a strong fan base that keeps getting bigger. 

The thing is that since the Rams left there was a large gap of no local team for the fans so they grew up to become other team fans. It’s the case of the father being a rams fan and the 30 year old son being a 9ers fan.

Now that the Rams are back, the 30 year old’s kids will grow up to become rams fan. 

Also, the reason why the rams games are sometimes dominated by opposing teams fans is because there is so much to do in LA. That doesn’t make them any less of fans because they have other options. 

Most of our games still get large capacity crowds who are mainly Rams fans. 

Its not a football town like Green Bay but we are still close to being on par with NY teams

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Also, the reason why the rams games are sometimes dominated by opposing teams fans is because there is so much to do in LA. That doesn’t make them any less of fans because they have other options. 

I live in San Diego and have heard that one for years. People make it seem like we all surf, hike etc do all this outdoorsy stuff year round. I find it to be BS, SoCal fans just aren’t that passionate about their sports in comparison to other cities, or at least football that is. I think a lot of it has to do with people being transplants from other cities though, just not that we’re so “busy” all the time and live such active lives.

33 minutes ago, Chiefs FTW said:

I live in San Diego and have heard that one for years. People make it seem like we all surf, hike etc do all this outdoorsy stuff year round. I find it to be BS, SoCal fans just aren’t that passionate about their sports in comparison to other cities, or at least football that is. I think a lot of it has to do with people being transplants from other cities though, just not that we’re so “busy” all the time and live such active lives.

I dunno man. I’ve heard that some people outside Southern California can actually pay their rent without needing two incomes.