Are the Chargers struggles purely because of injury?

Slingin' Sammy

11 hours ago, Chiefs FTW said:

I live in San Diego and have heard that one for years. People make it seem like we all surf, hike etc do all this outdoorsy stuff year round. I find it to be BS, SoCal fans just aren’t that passionate about their sports in comparison to other cities, or at least football that is. I think a lot of it has to do with people being transplants from other cities though, just not that we’re so “busy” all the time and live such active lives.

I can’t speak on San Diego. I can only speak on LA where I live. 

Most people with social lives have plenty to do here as opposed to Kansas City or Green Bay

Bad coaching, players not executing, dumb luck (ie. Chargers being Chargers), or all of the above?

https://theathletic.com/1322405/2019/10/24/chargers-in-game-blunders-are-piling-up-and-they-help-explain-the-2-5-record/

The truth is, though, the blunders are even more widespread. And when listed altogether, and considered alongside the slew of injuries the Chargers have suffered, a clear picture develops as to why this team, thought by many to be a Super Bowl contender in training camp, is now staring at long-shot playoff odds.

Here they are.

1. Justin Jackson’s 60-yard third-quarter touchdown run in Detroit was called back because of a holding penalty on Dontrelle Inman. The Chargers lost to the Lions by three points.

2. On that same drive, Ekeler’s 22-yard receiving touchdown was called back because of a block-in-the-back penalty on Sam Tevi. Again, the Chargers lost by three points.

3. Ty Long, filling in for injured kicker Michael Badgley, missed two field goals in the second half in Detroit, one from 39 yards and one from 41 yards. For a third time: The Chargers lost by three points.

4. Late in the fourth quarter of the loss to the Lions, the Chargers had driven into field-goal range when Philip Rivers attempted to find Keenan Allen in the end zone. The Chargers trailed by three points at the time, in case you missed the first three items on this list. Darius Slay picked off Rivers and effectively ended the game, eliminating any chance of a tying field goal.

5. In the third quarter of that same game, Ekeler fumbled at the goal line while trying to leap over the Lions’ defensive front.

6. In the third quarter of the Week 5 loss to the Broncos, Rivers threw a careless interception while the Chargers were at the Denver 2-yard line. The Chargers lost by seven points.

7. In that same game, Ekeler failed to cross the goal line on a fourth-and-1 play to close the second half. It was ruled a fumble and touchback, but that’s really a moot point because time had run out and Ekeler didn’t reach the end zone.

8. In a seven-point home loss to the Texans, the Chargers had the ball at the Houston 42-yard line with two minutes remaining when Rivers unleashed a perfect deep pass to Travis Benjamin. Benjamin dropped it. That would have tied the game.

9. And finally, there was Gordon’s fumble Sunday in Nashville.