The Good, the Bad, the Cmon Man

OldManWillis

No one's made this topic for the week, so my turn.

Good:

Jacobs-Dude hurt his shoulder, came back and gained over 100 yards rushing. Dude wants it. Criminal how he and our other RBs have been used in the passing game.

Waller-100+ yard game recieving, 2 TDs, could have had 2 more. Is a baller and matchup nightmare. Am glad he signed the extension. 

Moreau-Caught another TD, showing he can be a reliable #2 TE.

Oline-Have to give these guys a shout out. Protected Carr all day and opened holes in running game. 

Crosby-Getting a sack for 2nd game. Keep growing man.

Bad:

Defense needs to learn how to tackle. Too many times I saw misses. 

Some communication breakdowns in secondary.

Our LBs Corp needs some reinforcements, they are always a step behind.

I'm gona say pass defense was just bad today, other then the Crosby sack they failed to put pressure on Rodgers, regularly allowed catches, missed tackles.

Cmon Man:

Carr losing the fumble

Conley is not a very good tackler. I'm not sure why, but today he really stuck out at the game in a bad way.

Refs calling a completed catch with a extra 15 from roughing the passer. How did they not see the ball hit the ground first, at least they corrected this.

The first offensive pass interference.  There was no push off or anything of the sort. BS Call.

Edited by OldManWillis

Good:

• Josh Jacobs is the best young RB we've had since Marcus Allen/Bo Jackson.

• Darren Waller is an All-Pro caliber player and Moreau is a very good TE2. 

• OL has returned to 2016 level of dominance. 

• Gruden's offensive gameplan put us in good spots throughout the game. 

• Run defense was stout again (60 yards, 2.6 YPC), if you remove Jones 1 big 15-yard run, only gave up 45 yards on 22 carries (2.0 YPC). 

Ugly

• Carr's turnovers in the red zone.

• Paul Gunther's defensive gameplan.

• Non-existent pass rush. 

• Gareon Conley in coverage and run support. 

• Clelin Ferrell going missing. 

Edited by NYRaider

Raiders need to make a change at CB. I would start Mullen instead of Conley. When you’re in your third year you’re who you’re and Conley is who is he and that’s a up and down CB. 

I would also say bench Joyner but we don’t really have anyone to replace him. He’s been a huge FA bust. Luckily his contract is easy to get out of.

Edit. Joyner contract does have some dead money next year. 

Edited by agarcia34

27 minutes ago, doctordeath said:

Did anyone notice how over-aggressive Joyner was? It led to quite a few whiffs and misses.

the Joyner signing still fascinates me he doesn’t fit the Guenther mold. Feels like Mayock forced him on PG and he doesn’t know what to do with him 

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Raiders need to make a change at CB. I would start Mullen instead of Conley. When you’re in your third year you’re who you’re and Conley is who is he and that’s a up and down CB. 

I would also say bench Joyner but we don’t really have anyone to replace him. He’s been a huge FA bust. Luckily his contract is easy to get out of. 

They need to put Joyner back at FS. That's where he played well with the Rams.

14 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

the Joyner signing still fascinates me he doesn’t fit the Guenther mold. Feels like Mayock forced him on PG and he doesn’t know what to do with him 

I share the same sentiment. His mindset is there but his physical stature just isn't when considering we have him at the line minus the dline bullies the Rams have/had. With that said, it brings up a good point others have already brought up: is he a prime cut candidate next year, considering the structure of his contract?

24 minutes ago, doctordeath said:

I share the same sentiment. His mindset is there but his physical stature just isn't when considering we have him at the line minus the dline bullies the Rams have/had. With that said, it brings up a good point others have already brought up: is he a prime cut candidate next year, considering the structure of his contract?

If I were a defensive player on this Raider roster I would feel like any one of us could be a prime cut candidate next season. The only guys I can't see being cut at all the first and second year guys, and outside of Crosby and the one game we saw of Abram most of that is simply because they are young and will be given time to develop and not due to their actual play as of yet. Obviously not everyone will be let go, Conley likely comes back because of draft pedigree and some flashes of tight coverage, Morrow and Whitehead probably come back to continue to hold on to two of the LB spots if the position is neglected like it has been forever now or a combination of one starting and depth. 

Joyner is likely gone IMO. He hasn't played well enough for his price tag for whatever reason. But it's possible they decided to roll with him over Joseph and put Joyner back to more of a FS role with Abrams taking the SS spot. The staff doesn't seem very high on Joseph, and there are times I can see why and there are other times his play looks like a strong fit with a better pass rush around him. Abrams and him could certainly make a good S combination IMO. Neither option would surprise me just because its so hard to completely overhaul all the starters and depth on even one side of the ball effectively. Though we have to hope that defense is the primary focus of the off season. 

At this stage going off what I have seen I hope we go WR with one of the firsts, bring back Williams, and possibly draft some depth at RB behind Jacob's in the mid to late rounds that could replace Richard or Washington because they offer the same skill set and neither are a guy that can fill in for the rushing production for even a game or two if Jacobs goes down. Outside of that though I hope the rest of our first three or four picks are all defense as well as most of our focus in free agency. Look for an impact receiver early however we can do it, add some depth to the backfield and maybe a guy or two on the OL (not exactly needed but always a smart plan) and the rest of our focus should be improving the defense in every way we have at our disposal. If we do that right we really could be a super dangerous, playoff caliber team next season. 

2 hours ago, doctordeath said:

I think they should try him at S but then what do you do with Joseph either way I can see Guenther gone or Joyner gone 

I do want to give Gruden some much deserve credit. His play calling has been really good. He has done a good job. He’s even has had some creative plays. The play action pass to Carrier yesterday when he lined up at FB was such a good play. Looking forward to see how Gruden continues to call plays. 

only gripe would be red zone calls. Gruden has shown to excel from the 20 to 20. Trust Waller in the red zone flex him out allow Waller to use his size. 

• Like 1

It's crazy that we could have won that game despite our terrible defense. If Carr's turnovers and the goal line stop don't happen, we might have won. It is odd that we clamour for multiple looks from Jacobs at the goal line but it doesn't work out when he gets in twice in a row. Go figure. With a healthy gabe and Trent, we convert.