MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

Definitely seeing some growth in Sage's game. Offensively he looked good, always busy, never stopped working, which won him the fight as Goulti employed the strategy of holding on and doing zero damage with his takedown attempts. 

Sage still has a way to go defensively though. Was too easy to take down, and got caught multiple times on the feet.  I think he'd be better employing a hands down strategy like Wonderboy does. Seems like he has an illusion of safety when his guard is up, when in actuality if he's not moving his head it's just too easy to get punches through with MMA gloves. Hands down in a traditional karate stance would force him to move his head more, help with the takedown defense, and also make his striking a bit harder to predict.

Btw I'm just happy Sage got the decision. Goulti thought a couple of clean hits early on would be enough to win him the fight, and spent the rest of the fight stalling. Always good when judges don't reward a guy for takedowns when the guy on bottom is actually doing more damage, as Sage was with the elbows. 

8 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

James Vicks performance to me was underwhelming. Would love to see him fight someone like Lee or Chiesa but think he’d get smoked. TDD needs works unless his pinky was the reason Trinaldo made it look easy at times

I actually hope he gets a top fight. Maybe a Barboza, or Kevin Lee, or one of Poirier/Gaethje. Think he needs to get exposed by top competition in order to fix up the holes in his game. He's always going for flashy, risky moves that don't pay off. Flash kicks and jump knees that are easy to counter, or attacking the neck when he doesn't have position, leaving the guy to pass guard and get side control.

Fair play for being able to get past Duffy and Trinaldo, two top guys, but I really think he needs to recognize improvement is needed before he is on the same level as the guys he's calling out. 

9 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

I actually hope he gets a top fight. Maybe a Barboza, or Kevin Lee, or one of Poirier/Gaethje. Think he needs to get exposed by top competition in order to fix up the holes in his game. He's always going for flashy, risky moves that don't pay off. Flash kicks and jump knees that are easy to counter, or attacking the neck when he doesn't have position, leaving the guy to pass guard and get side control.

Fair play for being able to get past Duffy and Trinaldo, two top guys, but I really think he needs to recognize improvement is needed before he is on the same level as the guys he's calling out. 

Yea i do hope they give him someone higher up but Lee is too high

Just watched Lewis/Tybura and that 1st round was ALOT of fun to watch. 2 times i thought each guy had it done and over and the resilience of the bottom guy was there. Bravo. Also Lewis post-fight “going deep” ?

16 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i do hope they give him someone higher up but Lee is too high

Exactly what Vick needs. Lee will crucify him both on the feet and the ground, and we'll have a stop to Vick's "I'm the best in the division why doesn't anyone respect me" spiel for a little while...

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Exactly what Vick needs. Lee will crucify him both on the feet and the ground, and we'll have a stop to Vick's "I'm the best in the division why doesn't anyone respect me" spiel for a little while...

Yea i suppose. Tbh i feel like Lee is too good for him to even take the fight lol Vick beat the #14 fighter in not so convincing fashion albeit with a broken finger. I think someone like Chiesa, Iaquinta or Dariush would be best. They are a step above Trinaldo and likely will be favored vs Vick. If the Texecutioner wins that one give him Edson/Lee/Gaethje/Poirier but i dont think we need to throw him up so high now and further complicate things. LW is so stacked right now and he shouldnt just be vaulted up there out of need like at Flyweight/LHW/HW

Archived