MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

20 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

I like the word leagues lol but what ever you need. 

They have nothing to gain? They have everything to gain. The bigger the fight, the bigger the purse, the bigger ppvs, , everything about is  better for every one, they are trying to make money on ppvs at the end of the day and people want to see the best fights possible if they are going to pay(specially if you want to dip into the non hardcore fans wallet , you got to make the biggest fights possible). And the way this game works, is yeah maybe one of your champions loses, but the guy who replaces him could end going on a terror and be the next big thing and murk the rest of the champions until some other guys comes. 

UFC is the only promotion non-hardcore fans have any real knowledge towards. The UFC promotes itself not only as the largest MMA org in the world (it is), but the only legitimate one as well (it is not). All you need to do is listen to Dana White talk when asked about other organizations. 

The UFC may see an uptick in viewership/ppv buys in the immediate future from doing these cross promotion fights, however in the long run, this will do nothing but hurt their brand and open the casual fans' eyes up to new organizations to follow, which means less time to follow the UFC.

IIRC other promotions have openly tried to put together a PPV with the UFC but Dana White has shut them down and told them and the public it would never happen because the other promotion would do nothing but get free exposure off the back of the UFC. 

28 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Conor is doing it, its boxing but hes still doing it. I think if you can work the mic enough and can sell enough tickets and ppv, the UFC will let you call your own shots. 

Mayweather isn't from another organization that directly competes with the UFC...the McGregor v Mayweather situation is the ultimate exception to the rule, not a standard moving forward. 

So the rumors are on the interwebz that the UFC rescheduled Nunes vs Schevchenko for UFC 215, tho i dont think any one has confirmed. The UFC's site has the card presented on there website as if the main event is still open. So its likely that is there idea and will announce it soon. also Dos Santos vs Ngannou is that card, i think we all agree Ngannou is the man to watch right now. 

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC-215?id=

On 7/18/2017 at 5:13 PM, Bednarik60 said:

Crazy Ben Askren isn't in the UFC. How the welter weights like Woodley can call them selves the best in the world and never fought that guy, is silly... Every one is terrified of that guy. If Maia is a human backpack , then Askren is a human crate on your back. 

I mean.......a guy like Woodley would have a better stake to that claim than Askren would wouldn't he? He's certainly faced a higher level of competition than Ben has throughout his career. Ben's dominance has been well-noted, but the lack of monsters in the promotions he's fought in is noted as well. 

13 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

So there are fights on Tuesday? I have heard some people mention that. Dont know how i have missed that if so!

yeah Tuesday Night Contender series. Five fights commentated by snoop & faber. at the end Dana gives one of them a contract. i like it. 

5 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Oh dope. This FS1? 

Faber and Snoop sounds fun to.

nah it's only on fight pass. it's a rich man's program. 

it's a cool little set up, way better than TUF. dude's throw tf down since only 1/2 guys get contracts. 

but unless you're heavy into MMA, probably not worth that monthly expense. I use fight pass a ridiculous amount tho. 

fellow on there last week sean o'malley is gonna be sooooooo fun. dude throws almost as wildly as yair rodriguez. maybe even on that same tier. dana was losing his mind watching him fight, never seen him look so happy.

was rooting for this guy to get a contract too, but only o'malley got one this time

On 7/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Jlash said:

I mean.......a guy like Woodley would have a better stake to that claim than Askren would wouldn't he? He's certainly faced a higher level of competition than Ben has throughout his career. Ben's dominance has been well-noted, but the lack of monsters in the promotions he's fought in is noted as well. 

Maybe, maybe not. Woodley's shown he can be beaten by bigger fighters, Askren has yet to even come close to losing (split decision vs Jay Hieron was a joke tbh). Askren is the most feared wrestler in MMA simply because, if he gets a hand on you, you're going to the damn mat and he owns you there. His striking is still meh but he fought Andrey Koreshkov and Koreshkov hit him once clean. Douglas Lima, the guy who KO'd Koreshkov and beat Lorenz Larkin, couldn't touch him either. 

It's unfortunate that Dana doesn't like Ben (Ben's outspoken as all hell on Dana) so he'll never step foot in the UFC because of politics, not skill. Askren is legit as hell.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

I think it's the fact he's so critical of the promotion and he can also come off as an incredibly boring fighter. He's actually finishing fights more recently so that helps a bit.

i think it's just cause he's incredibly annoying, personally. 

Archived