MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

8 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

And how about the change of fortunes for Al? Seems like only yesterday he wasn't fighting because he was at odds with the UFC. They declared him ineligible for bonuses, and he was looking to fight out his contract and get out. 

Now he's saving the card on one days notice. Guess he and Dana have made up? Though Dana might be even more pissed if he wins. It's definitely better for them if Khabib wins the belt. Despite what Dana says now, they want to make the Khabib-Conor fight badly. 

I'm assuming he got quite a jump in pay plus the fact he is from NY would likely help the PPV recovery some and he would want to fight there. 

9 hours ago, eagles101 said:

I think it is from a stopping fighters from trying to make stupid weight cuts. I would really like to see fighters 5 pounds or so above there fighting weight during training.     Missing weight by even a pound is just ridiculous. I get people getting sick or whatever and cant really cut any weight but the vast majority of the time people are just being dumb. Like rumble in welterweight. No reason he didnt just strt at lightheavy or at least middleweight.

I agree 100%. The fact Alvarez was at 190 and he is a 55er is really the problem. 

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

It's just so weird to me that Dana and the UFC are pushing a grappler like Khabib but turned away Askren.

Well the fact he is from Russia probably helps with the draw right?

Also where can i see some Ben Askren fights? You talk so much about this guy, i gotta see something 

33 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree 100%. The fact Alvarez was at 190 and he is a 55er is really the problem. 

I dont hate that only cuz hes doesnt hve a fight coming up. If he had a fight in two months i would be but if he lets himself go 6 months before a fight nbd. But if thats hes walking around traininf weight then thats just crazy

2 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

It's just so weird to me that Dana and the UFC are pushing a grappler like Khabib but turned away Askren.

Well didnt askren talk crap about daddt dana? Personally i think its more about askren as a person than askren the fighter. He did say there was a deal in place, then he left bellator? Then ufc pulled the deal. 

7 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I dont hate that only cuz hes doesnt hve a fight coming up. If he had a fight in two months i would be but if he lets himself go 6 months before a fight nbd. But if thats hes walking around traininf weight then thats just crazy

Thing is size just plays too much of a part in this sport. Not many guys can be like Frankie, going up against bigger, stronger, longer fighters and still having success. That's why we have weight classes. So as long as a majority of fighters are cutting weight, everyone else is kinda forced to. The value of a win in MMA is too high, fighters are always going to look for every little advantage they can get.

9 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Thing is size just plays too much of a part in this sport. Not many guys can be like Frankie, going up against bigger, stronger, longer fighters and still having success. That's why we have weight classes. So as long as a majority of fighters are cutting weight, everyone else is kinda forced to. The value of a win in MMA is too high, fighters are always going to look for every little advantage they can get.

I get why they do it its just seems like such a big part of fighting now. There needs to be something done to align the weight classes better. Like week before weigh the fighters or something. Or huge fines for missing weight. There is to many times people miss weight that is just unacceptable. Like dc. Hes 5’11 and he missed weight. There is no reason he isnt near 205 well before the fight. 

I agree, it's the biggest problem in MMA. The only thing I see working is constantly monitoring fighters' weight throughout their camp, ensuring they stay within a safe range at certain intervals. Only problem with that is fighters who maybe have their camp somewhere else, e.g. fighters from Europe or Australia/New Zealand. the logistics of keeping in touch with them throughout camp may be tough.

As far as I know, the California commission has done something along these lines. Think they have declared that some fights couldn't take place because one of the fighters was too heavy coming in. It needs mass adoption across commissions though.

Archived