MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

I wouldn't put much into what he says publicly addressed at fans/media. Remember he tried to force the UFC's hand when they pulled him from the card by saying he credits Dana for putting him back on or whatever, only to have the UFC call BS instantly.

21 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

badass dont give a **** conor back?!? thank god. never been less interested in mma than right now. and im going to the fights this weekend lol. 

I am excited to hear him talk about coming back but this seems more like picking his opponent rather than fighting the real threats at LW

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Who has had an asterisk? Didnt Conor and Penn get theirs fair and square?

Every multi weight champion was gift wrapped a title fight as their first fight in the new weight class. Randy, Penn, Conor, GSP, all of them. RDA would be the first guy to earn and win a title in both weight classes where he basically started from, if not the bottom, but far from a contender.

Matter of fact, even if he doesn't, I dunno if any former champ has climbed so far in a different weight class. Is there anyone?

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

Every multi weight champion was gift wrapped a title fight as their first fight in the new weight class. Randy, Penn, Conor, GSP, all of them. RDA would be the first guy to earn and win a title in both weight classes where he basically started from, if not the bottom, but far from a contender.

Matter of fact, even if he doesn't, I dunno if any former champ has climbed so far in a different weight class. Is there anyone?

Fair enough but idk if it was so unfair to do so. 

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fair enough but idk if it was so unfair to do so. 

I mean some fights made more sense than others, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a lot more impressive to become a contender and win than just win 1 fight. None of these guys were able to hold on to their belts either. Officially none of them defended the belt even once, though to be fair Randy kinda did just not officially. Penn lost it in his next fight, the other vacated and the other we're waiting to be stripped.

Jacare vs Gastelum is booked at ufc 224. Seems like a similar situation to the Rockhold-Gastelum fight I was hoping would come about. True striker vs grappler, Gastelum could box Jacare up, but if he lets it get into close quarters, Jacare will manhandle him. Interesting matchup.

Also talk about Lee vs Barboza, potentially as a FN main event. That's an amazing fight, even though both guys are a little bit in no man's land right now after losing to the guys fighting for the title right now.

15 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I mean some fights made more sense than others, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a lot more impressive to become a contender and win than just win 1 fight. None of these guys were able to hold on to their belts either. Officially none of them defended the belt even once, though to be fair Randy kinda did just not officially. Penn lost it in his next fight, the other vacated and the other we're waiting to be stripped.

I get that and it would be very impressive because RDA has had to beat some bad dudes. It was crazy hard to hold a belt back then. Guys like Penn/GSP/Hughes etc make things crazy to stay on top. Conor beat a lot of the best at FW. Now the WW stuff was stupid but he never fought for a belt and yea getting the LW opportunity was fishy and should have gone to Ferguson but i dont have a major problem with that either.Keeping a belt at LHW/HW is so tough too so i cant fault Couture for that. He beat and lost to some tough dudes. Now the GSP fight drove me nuts because he was out for years and immediately gets a title shot in a division he never fought at in his 11 year career. He went for the easier belt no question about it.

10 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Jacare vs Gastelum is booked at ufc 224. Seems like a similar situation to the Rockhold-Gastelum fight I was hoping would come about. True striker vs grappler, Gastelum could box Jacare up, but if he lets it get into close quarters, Jacare will manhandle him. Interesting matchup.

Also talk about Lee vs Barboza, potentially as a FN main event. That's an amazing fight, even though both guys are a little bit in no man's land right now after losing to the guys fighting for the title right now.

Love to see both of these fights announced. I really want Jacare to win and get his chance again. Hoping that the MW title shot doesnt have a rematch...again so Jacare gets the next shot. Gastelum should stop eating so much and move to WW and do some serious damage 

Lee/Barboza is fun too although if it is a title eliminator fight(assuming there isnt a unification bout) i hope either:

Lee wins and fights either Khabib or Tony

or

Barboza wins and fights Tony

If Khabib beats Tony and gets matched up with Barboza then ? I fully expect the fight start to finish to be the same but I’d be cool seeing a Tony/Lee rematch or Lee v Khabib

28 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I have zero respect for GSP 

I wouldn't single him out. UFC knew this was possible unless GSP assured them he's going to stick around; all the articles that reported him resigning don't mention any specfics. They wanted a big money fight and didn't care about what happened next because nobody gives a crap about Bisping as champ. He wanted a return fight and saw this as a favorable fight I guess. Is he supposed to turn down a fight he thinks he can win for a belt? Just another example of how the new regime operates. The whole situation with this belt has been a mess.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Lee/Barboza is fun too although if it is a title eliminator fight(assuming there isnt a unification bout) i hope either:

This is not a title eliminator fight- both Lee and Barboza showed they're not in the same class as Khabib and Ferguson and neither deserve a shot right now. I'd say McGregor or Alvarez is next for whoever wins the fight. I have a feeling that if Khabib wins it's going to be Khabib/Conor and if Ferguson wins it's going to be Ferguson/Alavarez.

Archived