MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

She can only beat whoever is in front of her. She hasn't lost since getting submitted in her first pro fight, but the biggest thing is not who she is beating, but how she is beating them - she makes almost everyone look like rank amateurs in there with her. Can't fault her for destroying whoever is in front of her - even beating some without even stepping in the ring (de Randamie).

Nunes fight would definitely be a great opportunity for Cyborg to prove herself against a truly great, technical, seasoned WMMA fighter. If she goes and handles business in that fight, it will shut up a whole lot of those arguments. The steroid one will be the only one left for people to lean on.

Cant you say the same about Rousey? She beat everyone put in front of her for a while and in dramatic/obvious that she’s better. Its just not the bloody fight that Cyborg puts on

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Nunes fight would definitely be a great opportunity for Cyborg to prove herself against a truly great, technical, seasoned WMMA fighter. If she goes and handles business in that fight, it will shut up a whole lot of those arguments. The steroid one will be the only one left for people to lean on.

Would it though? Doesnt change the fact she is beating a BW again

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cant you say the same about Rousey? She beat everyone put in front of her for a while and in dramatic/obvious that she’s better. Its just not the bloody fight that Cyborg puts on

You could have definitely said the same about Rousey, up until she got exposed. That last fight against Nunes was bad, she looked like a deer in the headlights.

Would it though? Doesnt change the fact she is beating a BW again

People need to look at the quality of the fighter, not the weight class they fight at. also look at the size... Cyborg may have been fighting girls who usually fight at 135, but she doesn't appear to have a massive size advantage over them. most of her opponents lately have been pretty much equal to her in height and length at least. whether Cyborg has an overall size advantage or not, she hasn't been winning her fights because of that. In fact, last two fights against Holly and Kunitskaya, the only time she looked somewhat vulnerable was against the fence in the wrestling exchanges - both girls were able to control the position in the clinch pretty well. Cyborg's game has evolved to where her technical striking is just on a whole other level to everyone she fights, even someone like Holly. that's not a byproduct of fighting smaller girls.

57 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

People need to look at the quality of the fighter, not the weight class they fight at. also look at the size... Cyborg may have been fighting girls who usually fight at 135, but she doesn't appear to have a massive size advantage over them. most of her opponents lately have been pretty much equal to her in height and length at least. whether Cyborg has an overall size advantage or not, she hasn't been winning her fights because of that. In fact, last two fights against Holly and Kunitskaya, the only time she looked somewhat vulnerable was against the fence in the wrestling exchanges - both girls were able to control the position in the clinch pretty well. Cyborg's game has evolved to where her technical striking is just on a whole other level to everyone she fights, even someone like Holly. that's not a byproduct of fighting smaller girls.

She looked WAY bigger than her opponent Saturday. Not Holm though, you right there

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

She looked WAY bigger than her opponent Saturday. Not Holm though, you right there

She really didn't. Maybe more ripped, but Yana looked like she was similar situation size overall. She handled Cyborg in the wrestling, having real success keeping Cyborg's back against the fence for a while, so strength wasn't a problem. 

9 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

She really didn't. Maybe more ripped, but Yana looked like she was similar situation size overall. She handled Cyborg in the wrestling, having real success keeping Cyborg's back against the fence for a while, so strength wasn't a problem. 

That part was surprising for sure. But i think having the strength to hold her up against the fence is not the same as being able to sink in a choke and not have their hands pulled down with ease. Idk, I agree with Cyborg is beating women like we've never seen before and people are legitimately scared...and they should be. It just bugs me that people make it seems like she is putting women's MMA on the map like we all just forgot the reason Women's MMA came to the UFC in huge part to Rousey. She beat 6 different people all of which were the expected next in line. 

That part was surprising for sure. But i think having the strength to hold her up against the fence is not the same as being able to sink in a choke and not have their hands pulled down with ease. Idk, I agree with Cyborg is beating women like we've never seen before and people are legitimately scared...and they should be. It just bugs me that people make it seems like she is putting women's MMA on the map like we all just forgot the reason Women's MMA came to the UFC in huge part to Rousey. She beat 6 different people all of which were the expected next in line. 

I think Ronda (although she had the ability) was influential on the sport because of her persona.  There was an heir of invincibility about her.  She played a great "heel", kinda like Conor.  She eventually got exposed.  Cyborg has been doing it for longer, and at a much better level of dominance, however, the steroid stigma, and the fact that she is not"pretty" is what hurts her.  She also didn't face great competition.

I think we all know what the outcome would have been if Cyborg and Ronda had met in the Octagon.  Was Ronda truly ducking her because she knew as well?  We will never know.

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I think Ronda (although she had the ability) was influential on the sport because of her persona.  There was an heir of invincibility about her.  She played a great "heel", kinda like Conor.  She eventually got exposed.  Cyborg has been doing it for longer, and at a much better level of dominance, however, the steroid stigma, and the fact that she is not"pretty" is what hurts her.  She also didn't face great competition.

I think we all know what the outcome would have been if Cyborg and Ronda had met in the Octagon.  Was Ronda truly ducking her because she knew as well?  We will never know.

I think the ducking thing is slightly overblown even though I believe Cyborg would have murdered her. She fought what 15-20 pounds lighter or at least weighed in. Rousey made a name for herself in the UFC while Cyborg had proven nothing. I dont think she was in a position to call the shots. Make RR’s weight and then fight. If she doesnt want it then she’s ducking. Look at the MM/TJ fight prep. MM has been the more dominant champ and in order to fight TJ he wants it on his terms and earned that right. But TJ has said he would make the weight. If MM declines then i would say he is ducking TJ

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the ducking thing is slightly overblown even though I believe Cyborg would have murdered her. She fought what 15-20 pounds lighter or at least weighed in. Rousey made a name for herself in the UFC while Cyborg had proven nothing. I dont think she was in a position to call the shots. Make RR’s weight and then fight. If she doesnt want it then she’s ducking. Look at the MM/TJ fight prep. MM has been the more dominant champ and in order to fight TJ he wants it on his terms and earned that right. But TJ has said he would make the weight. If MM declines then i would say he is ducking TJ

Yes, I understood the take that Ronda had in regards to not moving up at all to meet Cyborg.  She also used the whole steroid thing against her too.  (maybe rightfully so)

Ronda did put woman's mma on the map, and deserves credit, but Cyborg is, and always was, the better fighter.

Cyborg is women's MMA, man. How do we not remember the first big female fight with her and Carano? She's been doing this for nearly 13 years and is unbeaten since November of 2005. Rousey blasted through the door due to whatever reasons but Cyborg opened it up for her. If Cyborg were hot, she would've been a superstar a long time ago. I mean, people hyped the hell out of Carano and Cyborg ended her career. Seriously, Cyborg was the first woman, with Carano, to be the main event of a major MMA promotion. Give her her due.

Also, Ronda fought at 145 when she first came into MMA. Cris Cyborg has never fought at 135 so expecting her to come down to a weight she's never fought at and legitimately can't make is, indeed, ducking. Also, Ronda was at 145 during her Strikeforce: Challengers run. She dropped to 135 and fought Miesha Tate for the title right after Cyborg got stripped at 145. So, yes, they were once in the same division in the same promotion and one of them chose to go to another division.

Archived