How would you feel if for one season every NFL game was played in a dome?

TecmoSuperJoe

Obviously it will never happen. However, yesterday's game between the 49ers and Redskins reminded me of a comment I heard on a football podcast I frequently listen to. It's basically the idea of indoor football being the best indicator of seeing the players on the field showcase their max potential. From kickers to wide receivers. Weather just wouldn't be a factor. No wind, no sun, no awful fields. Bad weather can be the ultimate equalizer, essentially making two teams very ordinary looking. It's weird, because seeing the 49ers at Candlestick all those years, I felt the team had an advantage being used to playing outside. Especially in the playoffs. But I think it would be a good experience to see an entire season worth of games just played indoors. Scoring would definitely go up. Would viewership? 

If this could be done for one year only, would you like to see it? 

I personally like bad weather game - football is unique because you do have to adapt to the elements. You're never going to see a baseball game played in a blizzard, you'll never see a basketball game played in the driving rain, but it's commonplace in football, and it's a unique experience when you see one played out. 

That's a skill in itself - being able to perform in conditions like those. Putting the game indoors doesn't get that into play.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I personally like bad weather game - football is unique because you do have to adapt to the elements. You're never going to see a baseball game played in a blizzard, you'll never see a basketball game played in the driving rain, but it's commonplace in football, and it's a unique experience when you see one played out. 

That's a skill in itself - being able to perform in conditions like those. Putting the game indoors doesn't get that into play.

What if you had to watch bad weather games all season long though? You'd probably have your fill after three straight. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

What if you had to watch bad weather games all season long though? You'd probably have your fill after three straight. 

What are the odds of that, though? Football season coincides with hurricane season - but you don't see Miami, Tampa Bay or Jacksonville playing in rain soaked stadiums on a weekly basis.

Realistically, most teams get a rain game or two a season...

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

What are the odds of that, though? Football season coincides with hurricane season - but you don't see Miami, Tampa Bay or Jacksonville playing in rain soaked stadiums on a weekly basis.

Realistically, most teams get a rain game or two a season...

I know, but do you like those games because you can handle the rare one every once in a while since it's just different? Or do you actually like those games because you just like seeing teams playing super conservatively in the rain, and having to deal around that, and it's something you'd be able to watch for even an entire season worth of contests? Probably wouldn't be able to judge anyone in those conditions fairly. 

I can certainly handle one every once in a while. But I do feel a little cheated to be honest, because you really don't get to see what players and coaches can do since they're shackled by the weather. 

Edited by PapaShogun

8 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I know, but do you like those games because you can handle the rare one every once in a while since it's just different? Or do you actually like those games because you just like seeing teams playing super conservatively in the rain, and having to deal around that, and it's something you'd be able to watch for even an entire season worth of contests? 

I actually think it's yes to both - I don't see those as mutually exclusive events.

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Probably wouldn't be able to judge anyone in those conditions fairly. 

I guess this is the difference. My primary objective in watching football isn't to judge players and their performances - I watch football to watch football, the entertainment value behind playing against the elements is worth it to me.

14 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I can certainly handle one every once in a while. But I do feel a little cheated to be honest, because you really don't get to see what players and coaches can do since they're shackled by the weather. 

I'm on the other side of the coin, I'd prefer watching these players and coaches have to adapt to the conditions and still perform in the elements.