Former CLE, MIL, and NYY Pitcher CC Sabathia Announces Retirement

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Had said this was going to be his last year, but this confirms it. No brainer HoF career.

And yes I started this thread because I wanted to say he was a Brewer for 3 months. @ me

Loved this big guy, but he probably should be enshrined in the Hall of Very Good.  

34 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Loved this big guy, but he probably should be enshrined in the Hall of Very Good.  

5th among all active pitchers in JAWS behind Kershaw, Greinke, Verlander, and Scherzer. I'd say all of those guys are basically locks. 

19 year career, was the best pitcher in baseball in 2008 (again, @ me I will take that to the mat), accrued a metric crap ton of counting stats. Cy Young award winner who should have gotten a second one, but didn't because he was traded from the AL to the NL halfway through 2008, so I'm just going to say a 2 time CYA winner. Both the peak and longevity are there.

HoFer. No doubt in my mind.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

5th among all active pitchers in JAWS behind Kershaw, Greinke, Verlander, and Scherzer. I'd say all of those guys are basically locks. 

19 year career, was the best pitcher in baseball in 2008 (again, @ me I will take that to the mat), accrued a metric crap ton of counting stats. Cy Young award winner who should have gotten a second one, but didn't because he was traded from the AL to the NL halfway through 2008, so I'm just going to say a 2 time CYA winner. Both the peak and longevity are there.

Agreed. Very easily a HoFer. 

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Just looked up his numbers with the Brewers again. My God. Has to be the best rental of all time. 7 complete games and 3 shutouts in 17 starts lol.

There's a reason all of Milwaukee still loves him.

EDIT: Should have also had a no-hitter against Pittsburgh. Granted, the hit that should have been an error was a throwing error on CC, but still.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

On 10/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

JAWS is straight garbage. 

But I had forgotten how solid CC was as an Indian before being traded to Milwaukee.  He was more or less a JAG for the Yankees the past 6-7 years, so that apparently skewed my view of him.  He was a very good, sometimes elite, pitcher for roughly 12 years.  You're right, he's a HoFer.   

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There's a reason all of Milwaukee still loves him.

EDIT: Should have also had a no-hitter against Pittsburgh. Granted, the hit that should have been an error was a throwing error on CC, but still.

i can’t imagine any other pro athlete that played for a franchise for as short of a time as CC did for the Brewers still being as loved in a city a decade later as he is by Milwaukee (I really tried to figure out a better way to phrase this and failed spectacularly).  I was talking to a couple of casual Brewers fans the other day that thought he was here for two or three years.

• Like 1