BDL 2017 Week 1: Charleston Dingos @ Portland Horned Owls

Whicker

Charleston Dingos @ Portland Horned Owls  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Charleston Dingos
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2017 at 04:00 AM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions

Charleston Offense:

QB1: Phillip Rivers
RB1: Melvin Gordon
WR1: Golden Tate
WR2: Randall Cobb
WR3: Rishard Matthews
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Joe Staley
LG: Mike Igupati -(GTD)
C:  Mitch Morse
RG: Lane Taylor
RT: Nate Solder

FB: Andy Janovich
RB2: Demarco Murray
RB3: James White
TE2: Julius Thomas
WR4: Kenny Britt
WR5: Kendall Wright
OL6: Kelvin Beachum
OL7: John Miller

Charleston Defense:

LDE: Derrick Morgan
3T:  Malik Jackson
DT:  Leonard Williams
RDE: Whitney Mercilus
WLB: Lavonte David
MLB: Paul Poslusky
CB1: Marcus Peters 
CB2: Stephon Gilmore
CB3: Brandon Carr
FS: Byron Jones
SS: Kenny Vacarro 

Bench:

SLB: Myles Jack
RLB: Thomas Davis
DE3: Noah Spence
DT3: Brandon Mebane
DT4: Johnathan Bullard
CB4: Ross Cockrell
CB5: Ricardo Allen
S3:  Micah Hyde

Portland Horned Owls

QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: LeSean McCoy
WR1: Davante Adams
WR2: Tyler Boyd 
WR3: Seth Roberts
TE1: Charles Clay
LT: Anthony Castanzo
LG: Luke Joekel
C:  Ben Jones
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Jared VeldHeer

Reserves:

RB2: Jordan Howard
RB3: Ameer Abdullah
FB:  Kyle Juzsczyk 
WR4: Dontrelle Inman 
TE2: Austin Hooper
OL6: Alejandro Villanueva
OL7: J.C Tretter
OL8: Ryan Jensen

Portland's Defense:

RDE: Robert Quinn
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  Timmy Jernigan
LDE:  Emmanual Ogbah 
WLB: Telvin Smith
MLB: Dont'a Hightower
CB1: Jimmy Smith
CB2: Sean Smith
SCB: Jason McCourtey
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Bruce Irvin
RLB: Za'Darius Smith
CB4: Kendall Fuller
CB5: Bashaud Breeland
S3:  Daniel Sorenson
DE3: Charles Johnson
DE4: T.J Watt
DT3: Michael Pierce
DT4: DaQuan Jones

Charleston Dingos

Charleston Offensive Strategy: No huddle offense with a power running game. 

The Passing Strategy: We're going to come out and attack Portland's weak secondary with a quick no huddle offense that will focus on finding matchups against their DBs and LBs. Melvin Gordon will be used as our Primary RB and get a few checkdowns/screens to make use of him as a pass catcher. Golden Tate will rotate in and out of the slot and should be able to dominate whoever Portland lines up to cover him, Rishard Matthews will also get a healthy dose of Targets as well. Cobb and Graham will get the majority of the targets since they'll mostly be moved around to find matchups I'd expect they'd combine for 15+ targets quite easily. Jimmy will be used heavily in the Red Zone since he's such a massive target on a short field, I have no idea what trio of CBs Portland will start but their options are quite grim given their highest paid CB got benched in the pre-season. With Graham working out of the slot and our quick no huddle offense, we should be able to tire our the Portland defense quite easily and that will allow our running game to get going. Rivers is coming off a down year, but that was mainly due to a poor IRL offensive line, that won't be a problem here given we have an incredibly good line that should offer adequate protection and open very good holes for my RBs. DeMarco Murray will get a decent amount of carries but Gordon will be the feature RB and get around 75% of the touches. I'm assuming they'll be playing zone coverage for the majority of the game to hide their weaknesses on defense, Rivers is a master at finding the weakspots in zone coverage and will put the ball in the perfect spot. We'll also use 2 TE sets on 30% of the snaps since Julius Thomas and Jimmy Graham are massive targets Portland couldn't hope to cover, we'll use them and our RBs to move the chains. As far as deep shots go we'll take a few to Jimmy Graham since he's excellent at finding the right spot in zone and plus he can outleap any defenders. Micah Hyde will also rotate in as a slot DB/Dime DB.

The Running Strategy: We're going to run the ball quite a bit, but our passing attack will set that up since they'll be so focused on stopping the pass Gordon/Murray will be able to easily get to the second level of their defense and get lots of chunk yardage. Gordon will get at least 25+ touches in this game whether it's catches or carries he will be the main RB and Portland's run defense is lacking given their pretty weak defensive line. We have 3 all Pro lineman up front and should be able to dominate in the ground game after we wear out their defense with our no huddle passing game, once we have the lead we'll focus on running the ball and controlling the clock forcing Portland into playing catch up, James White will get a few screens since he's such a dynamic receiving weapon.

TDLR: Run the Ball, Throw the Ball, Vote for me or I'll be dissapointed in you. 

Charleston Defensive Strategy: 4-3 defense with a heavy dose of Man Coverage.

The Passing Strategy: Marcus Peters will cover Davante Adams since he's their best WR, Stephon Gilmore will cover whoever they designate as their no.2 WR, Brandon Carr will cover the slot. We'll use a lot of man coverage since Portland's WRs will struggle to get open since they're quite awful outside of Adams who would is nothing more than a product of Aaron Rodgers. Since they'll probably be using Slants and Screens to try and get quick yardage because I highly doubt Tyler Boyd could catch an STD let alone a football we'll be preparing for that and jam their WRs at the LOS to knock off the timing for those routes. My FS and SS will cover RBs and TEs as needed, our CB4 will play in Dime packages and we'll rotate our secondary to play to their strengths. Noah Spence will get a fair amount of snaps in the D-line rotation as will Brandon Mebane who will be our rotational NT and play on goaline/running downs. I expect their RBs will be featured heavily in the passing game to supplement their dreadful pass catchers, we'll attempt to chip them as they come out for the ball and have a LB/S devoted to keeping an eye on the RB on most of the plays. Derek Carr is a good QB, but he's playing with a much more limited offense compared to his IRL one and he won't have as much success with such a limited WR corps.

The Run Defense: I pride myself on run defense and we should be able to control the LOS since Portland's line is mediocre at best. My defensive line led by Malik Jackson, Leonard Williams, Derrick Morgan, Whitney Mercyless will put lots of pressure on Derek Carr who is coming off a Broken Ankle and will have limited mobility as a result. We'll also be able to control their running lanes and force them into negative yardage, we'll rotate our defensive line and LBs as required, goaline defense will be played when needed and we will use Noah spence as a pass rushing chess piece and move him around to find matchups where he can tee off on the QB whether that's a stand up LB or at DE. My LBs are outstanding in coverage and should be able to shut down their RBs and TEs whenever they're covering them. We'll put a fair amount of attention on stopping the run and forcing them to throw it to beat us, we'll stack the box quite a bit and try and scheme them into having to throw to win. The Puz and David will be our main LBs who will see the most snaps, Jack will mix in on the snaps as well but he'll mostly be limited to passing downs. Thomas Davis is still playing well at such an old age and will be our main backup LB and play running downs and goaline downs.

TDLR: Stop the Run, Stop the pass, But don't stop the beatdown. 

Portland Horned Owls

Portland Offensive Gameplan:

The Passing Game: With Derek Carr as our new QB, we'll be looking to take advantage of Charleston's suspect secondary by using LeSean in a variety of ways as a pass catcher, Davante Adams will get the lion share of the targets while Clay will get a few targets and work over the middle of the field. Tyler Boyd will work out of the slot and be our no.2 WR and he'll get a screen or two and some slant routes to get him into space. We also won't be afraid to use play action and take some deep shots to Seth Roberts who has a knack for Big plays. Gilmore was awful last year and I expect he won't be any better this year, we'll target him heavily and we won't be afraid to target Peters who gives up a lot of yardage. We'll also attack their LBs when they try to cover a RB or TE, whoever lines up at SS for Charleston will have a terrible time trying to cover our RBs. We'll rotate our WRs heavily to find match ups but Adams will be the focal point of our passing game and mix In LeSean and Clay to spread the ball around to keep them from doubling Davante Adams every play. We'll use 2 TE sets in the end zone since Clay and Hooper are both big red zone targets.

The Running Game: We will commit to running the ball heavily and using our deep backfield led by McCoy,Howard and Abdullah, we'll run the ball on at least 45% of the snaps and we'll use LeSean heavily in the passing game. McCoy will also play on 3rd downs and be the primary ball carrier Howard will rotate in and get the goal line work. Touches wise it will be a 60/30/10 split between McCoy,Howard, Abdullah. Charleston will have to respect our ability to throw the deep ball so they won't be able to stack the box. While Charleston does possess a good d-line, they aren't exactly the best run defenders with their DEs being a little light for the position and they lack a true NT to handle running downs. Derek Carr will be working under center for about a decent chunk of the snaps and we'll use our stud FB quite a bit as a pass blocker/runner/check down target.

The Blocking: We boast one of the top lines in BDL with no weaknesses up front, I expect we'll be able to get a massive push in the ground game and with two excellent RBs they should pick up lots of yardage and get to the second level of Charleston's defense and break tackles. We will give Derek Carr lots of time to throw the ball since Charleston's edge rushers are nothing more than slightly above average, our interior line should be able to keep Williams and Jackson in check as well. With us focusing on the running game we'll be able to control the clock and dominate TOP and give Charleston fewer drives.

TDLR; Attack their LBs, Run the ball, Exotic Smashmouth, Ignore the fact my WRs are meh, Control the clock.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: 

Pass Defense: Jimmy Smith will be our no.1 CB and he'll shadow Tate for most of the game, Our no.2 CB will cover Cobb and our nickel DB will work the slot in 3 WR sets. We'll be playing zone coverage for the majority of the game and force Rivers to find the holes in our Zone. Quinn and Jenkins form an excellent safety duo and they will be able to cover whoever they're assigned, Jimmy Graham will be the main focus of our pass defense and Jenkins will be tasked with covering him for the most part. Hightower and Smith are extremely athletic and should be able to cover the RB and TEs when needed, I expect they'll use Gordon out of the backfield quite a bit. We'll try to take away their short passing game forcing Rivers to go deep so our DBs can pick off his flimsy deep balls. We'll be playing zone 60% of the time and use a one deep safety look as well, we'll play prevent defense as needed. Our CBs will rotate heavily depending on who plays a good amount of snaps this week. 

Run Defense: I expect Charleston will try to move the ball using the ground game for the most part, Which is why we'll have a LB/S assigned to Gordon on some of the plays. Kawann Short is easily the best D-lineman not named J.J Watt/Aaron Donald and he should be able to shut down the run along with Pierce/Jernigan who will rotate with their backups to keep them fresh. Jernigan will play passing situations and Pierce will play running situations, Jones+Johnson+Irvin will come in for goal line defenses when needed. Depending on their starting o-line, we should be able to shut down their running game quite easily. With some easy 3 and outs and a few turnovers, we should be able to get a few more scoring oppurutnies for our offense.

The Pass Rush: Robert Quinn has been injured the past 2 years but now he's finally healthy and should be able to get back to his 15+ Sack self and put massive pressure on Rivers, Ogbah had a very good rookie year and will start across from him. Bruce Irvin will serve as our Rush Linebacker and will be used as a Blitzer heavily, I expect he'll get at least 20+ pass rush oppurtunies as he rotates with Ogbah at the DE spot and RLB spot. Johnson will also rotate with Quinn+Ogbah to keep them fresh late into the game, we should be able to hound Rivers to the point where he sees lots of ghosts and tries to force the ball down the field to make plays that aren't there. 

TDLR; Pressure Rivers, Stop the run, Dominate TOP,  Create Turnovers.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

You both do realize they are playing in different systems with different players around them against different players. Are their stats really that relevant from today? Over looking at their overall talent and proven long term ability?

Yeah but when you have actual numbers it's easier to say "Your guy sucked" because *Insert numbers here* instead of "Your guy sucked in my imagining of how this imaginary game went" 

Looking at the game plan and players obviously trumps the stats from their IRL performance. But if the teams are more or less evenly matched, it's a tie breaker you can use if you think their IRL performance in the week should matter. 

8 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Iupati was inactive and Lane Taylor is my LG. So you'll have a few OL out of position.

I had to go back and check on the old forum. I'm an idiot for not seeing that Lane Taylor bid and not noticing he wasn't on my roster for 2+ months....

Miller will fill in at RG, Kelvin Beachum will play LG. 

Despite the LOL of starting someone not on his team, Dingo out game planned xmad on this one.  Ii think the no huddle is gonna get them out to a quick lead as xmad is, from his write up, geared up to stop the run.  As much as I love Carr,  I don't think Portland has the horses to play catch up ball

Charleston 24-16

Archived