Our Offense

Buffalo Fan

Yesterday I got to thinking that it seems Dabol is trying to force the pass with Josh Allen even when we were running for 5-6 yards at will.  The first half just seemed like the OC wanted to end that 300 yard streak and called passes to often.  This IMO did 3 things first on situations were the run was the best option like the first drive in the red zone the OC called a quick pass on a 3rd and 1 the pass went incomplete also we got a holding call that backed us up 10 yards.  The 2nd thing it does it causes our players to get penalties like holding and false starts IMO and 3rd IMO I don't think Josh is ready to throw the ball 30 times in a close game when we can run at will like yesterday.  It does show that our Coaches believe that not only Allen but the whole offense is ready for this which is a good sign that they believe in our players.  I thought the 2nd half we got back to the run and mixed in some play action and I believe Josh went 10-11 with 2 TD's in the 2nd half.  Do any of you feel like this is the case for our Buffalo Bills??  It's almost like they get to cute but the basics are working and they go away from that.  I'd love your thoughts??

The first half reminded me of the Jets game minus the turnovers for our offense. 

We moved the ball at will but then crumbled within the 30. The Dawson Knox drop ruined that first drive but then penalties and honestly a good game plan by Flores hurt us. Anytime we were 3rd and long they sent pressure and sat on all our short options. Daboll needs to find a way to beat that. Beasley was no where to be found for most of yesterday. We need more from him and for Knox to become reliable. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Fan said:

Yesterday I got to thinking that it seems Dabol is trying to force the pass with Josh Allen even when we were running for 5-6 yards at will.  The first half just seemed like the OC wanted to end that 300 yard streak and called passes to often.  This IMO did 3 things first on situations were the run was the best option like the first drive in the red zone the OC called a quick pass on a 3rd and 1 the pass went incomplete also we got a holding call that backed us up 10 yards.  The 2nd thing it does it causes our players to get penalties like holding and false starts IMO and 3rd IMO I don't think Josh is ready to throw the ball 30 times in a close game when we can run at will like yesterday.  It does show that our Coaches believe that not only Allen but the whole offense is ready for this which is a good sign that they believe in our players.  I thought the 2nd half we got back to the run and mixed in some play action and I believe Josh went 10-11 with 2 TD's in the 2nd half.  Do any of you feel like this is the case for our Buffalo Bills??  It's almost like they get to cute but the basics are working and they go away from that.  I'd love your thoughts??

Yes this is my issue with Daboll he has Gore who has proven to be acceptable at making plays for at least 3-4 yards at a time that puts the bills at 3rd and short rather then 3rd and long. Had they continued to run the ball then they could get the passing game going with more play action passes. We ran 19 times with our rb/fb yesterday, 17 times against titans, 17 times against pats, 25 against cincy, 27 against giants, 15 against jets....So why are we not running the ball more with the weapons we have in gore/singletary/yeldon/dimarco, then roberts and mckenzie with sweeps? I think this team needs to run 30+ times a game. Also why is Daboll having qb designed runs, is this him or is it Allen taking it on himself? I think this is a huge mistake given the fact he had a concussion against pats already for running the ball. 

If they want to continue to throw more its time to bring in a WR who is able to contest balls especially with Duke's injury now.

What needs to happen for this offense to reach its ceiling...

Get Singletary the effing ball 10-15 times a game.

Josh hit two deep balls a game. That part of his game has disappeared for some reason, he hits one or two of those a game and he’s up over 300 almost on average. He’s just missed those throws time and time again. If he can start hitting those our offense becomes flat out scary.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

What needs to happen for this offense to reach its ceiling...

Get Singletary the effing ball 10-15 times a game.

Josh hit two deep balls a game. That part of his game has disappeared for some reason, he hits one or two of those a game and he’s up over 300 almost on average. He’s just missed those throws time and time again. If he can start hitting those our offense becomes flat out scary.

The problem is his accuracy isnt good, hes capable strength wise to throw it but in no way is he accurate on those passes they were 10-15 yards away. Singletary and Gore both should be getting 15 carries a game each. They need to stop doing these long drawn out routes, I dont get why there arent quick slant passes like that. Give john brown a 7 yd slant down the middle let him beat the cb throw it in front and have him take care of the rest. By the time Brown does a 15 yd route Allen is running for his life or hes running the ball because he is to impatient to let the play unfold. 

Gore the last 4 games were 5.0 yds a carry, 4.3 yds, 6.4 (against Pats), and 5.4 yds. Its safe to say that his 10-15 carries he gets a game are productive and needs to see 15 min, then have singletary run the other 15, while mixing in reverses, sweeps etc with guys like McKenzie.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I agree with you all about the running game. It is something this OL can actually do quite well and we have the backs to do it. Not sure why it hasn't been a bigger part of the game plan.

Maybe, though I doubt it, they are trying to preserve Gore touches for the winter/playoff run. I am wondering if yesterday they were just trying to ease Singletary back in. 

If this offense can't score against Philadelphia, we have a problem. They allow an avg of 26.6 points a game.

I think the lack of running in first half had to do with Gore getting injured and with Singletary playing his first game in a few weeks they didn't want to over work him and ease him in. Luckily Gore was able to re-enter the game. Overall I think the offense is solid (people assume they're garbage). They can move the ball nicely but can't finish drives. Which is strange because we are good in the redzone. We stall between mid field and the redzone consistently.

I wonder how much of the play calling is demonstrative of an effort from the management/coaches to develop Allen into a pocket passer. It's really the only way to increase the chances that he has a long and successful career. Could they be pushing the pass even when it might not maximize chances for in-game success in the name of forcing Josh to grow up as a well-rounded QB? I know it sounds bonkers to suggest that they would do something that didn't increase their chances of winning, but the emphasis on pass even when the run is working better is curious for sure.

Edited by xian3000

I do not know how qualified Incarcerated Bob  twitter when it comes to rumors but he is saying a source for bills are looking at Wr, Te, and Pass rusher mentioning eifert, beasley and sanders. I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Beasley for a 5th rd or later, same with Eifert. If they have a shot at yannick or keenan allen/aj green they should pull the trigger even if its more then they should pay. Not a fan of bringing in Sanders he is a 5'11 wr they need a bigger guy who can contest balls that Zay or kbenji were suppose to be there for. They are in a prime spot at 5-1 with tons of cap and an easy schedule to go after a playoff berth. 1 game behind pats for the division and 5th seed for wildcard. I think Beane needs to make a move in order to continue to push for a playoff berth. 

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I do not know how qualified Incarcerated Bob  twitter when it comes to rumors but he is saying a source for bills are looking at Wr, Te, and Pass rusher mentioning eifert, beasley and sanders. I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Beasley for a 5th rd or later, same with Eifert. If they have a shot at yannick or keenan allen/aj green they should pull the trigger even if its more then they should pay. Not a fan of bringing in Sanders he is a 5'11 wr they need a bigger guy who can contest balls that Zay or kbenji were suppose to be there for. They are in a prime spot at 5-1 with tons of cap and an easy schedule to go after a playoff berth. 1 game behind pats for the division and 5th seed for wildcard. I think Beane needs to make a move in order to continue to push for a playoff berth. 

My dog is more reliable than Incarcerated Bob

• Like 2

Josh Allen went from needing to learn how to hit his short and intermediate throws, to being very good at those and now learning how to hit his deep throws lol. If he starts hitting these, our offense will open up a bit. I also think we should be in the market for another WR or OL. 

It's not often you get a top 5 defense in this league and we can't let this year go to waste because next year is supposed to be the 'year'. Trade a 3rd and 4th for an AJ Green rental please!