Our Offense

Buffalo Fan

This week is exactly why I started this thread.  I don't think Daboll needs to get fired but I do think him and Allen and Coach McDermott need to sit down and figure out a way to balance the offense.  I get the first 12-15 plays are scripted and we usually do well on those plays but after that let's see if we can balance the Offense I really think Daboll has to much confidence in Allen and that is great because he knows him better than anyone.  Maybe is a case of short term loss vs long term gain like he knows it's in Josh Allen and he is going to force him to get it out sort of??  If this is the case then I'm fine with losing a couple games this year to gain a lot of W's in the future.  But to me Motor had 8 carries for like 41 yards against Cleveland who was 30th against the run??  He was getting better than 5 yards a carry but we throw it 41 times in a very close game.  The whole game was basically close we didn't need to throw it that many times

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Fan said:

This week is exactly why I started this thread.  I don't think Daboll needs to get fired but I do think him and Allen and Coach McDermott need to sit down and figure out a way to balance the offense.  I get the first 12-15 plays are scripted and we usually do well on those plays but after that let's see if we can balance the Offense I really think Daboll has to much confidence in Allen and that is great because he knows him better than anyone.  Maybe is a case of short term loss vs long term gain like he knows it's in Josh Allen and he is going to force him to get it out sort of??  If this is the case then I'm fine with losing a couple games this year to gain a lot of W's in the future.  But to me Motor had 8 carries for like 41 yards against Cleveland who was 30th against the run??  He was getting better than 5 yards a carry but we throw it 41 times in a very close game.  The whole game was basically close we didn't need to throw it that many times

This is why I am not a fan of Daboll the play calling blows. You know what you have with Allen, you know his accuracy is not that good down field as he corrected his intermediate passing. Daboll assumes since he has the arm strength he needs to use it but that is pointless when he isnt getting the ball to them. Some may bash Allen but him not turning the ball over in the air the last 2 weeks has been huge, he isnt making the errors he was doing early on by trying to play hero ball. You are in the game by not turning the ball over. He is not Tom Brady so why consistently throw 40 times, which by the way he is 2-7 when throwing over 30 times a game. His record is far better when it is under 30. Designed passing play on 3rd and 3 where no one runs short route forcing Allen to throw deep to beasley. Like you said 8 rushes for him and 5 for gore is so stupid, and his excuse was they were stacking 8 in the box and felt that it wasnt working yet singletary was averaging 5.1 yds a carry. He then goes on to say if you take in to consideration his passing targets then he had the ball 15 times but still that is low for a guy you believe is your RB. Im tired of the excuses and I honestly feel that the bills offense with the players are good enough to be a top 10 offense with the right calls. Brown not getting much love but he is the 1st buffalo bill to get 50+ yds in 9 consecutive games and is only 1 of 3 wrs in the league with this stat. So to me he may not be your prototypical #1 but he is the bills and I think that is good enough, they still need a big target but as of right now you cant change that. Then you have Duke inactive because you felt mckenzie needs to do more runs yet they did the the sweep once on Sunday. Daboll just doesnt know how to run an offense and I truly think the best thing the bills can do is part ways with him at some point, maybe if they struggle against the dolphins you pull the trigger and see what dorsey can do if not comfortable with that then  you bring a new one in during the offseason. I just dont see how daboll is the long term answer when your strength is the run and your averaging one of the least amount of carries in the league especially facing one of the worst rush defenses in the league. Not only is the rushing important on offense it also keeps opponents offenses off the field. 3rd down % has been below 50% again and that is because your having your qb throw 41 times. Get 3rd and manageable rather then 3rd and 5 or longer which would continue to get first down. You go out throwing on 1st and 2nd without a completion your facing a 3rd and long all day.

Also LEE SMITH needs to get CUT ASAP. He had 2 more penalties which has brought him up to one of the worst penalized players in the league. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Browns have requested permission to interview Brian Daboll for their HC position. 

Obviously, I want him focusing on our playoff performance. After that, best of luck! I've complained about Daboll for the better part of the season. Yes, his playcalling improved after he was sent up to the box, off of the sidelines. He still has made many curious decisions since that change. Look, Daboll is far from the worst OC in the league, but I wouldn't fear losing him. Would I recommend him to the Browns? Only if they were dead set on doing Browns-like things. It's an interview. That's safe. I personally wouldn't hire him however.

11 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Obviously, I want him focusing on our playoff performance. After that, best of luck! I've complained about Daboll for the better part of the season. Yes, his playcalling improved after he was sent up to the box, off of the sidelines. He still has made many curious decisions since that change. Look, Daboll is far from the worst OC in the league, but I wouldn't fear losing him. Would I recommend him to the Browns? Only if they were dead set on doing Browns-like things. It's an interview. That's safe. I personally wouldn't hire him however.

I believe he can't interview until after Saturday regardless. 

I think Dorsey would be the next option up if they want to continue the process of developing Allen without causing a new playbook to change drastically.

I am kind of intrigued by Chad O'Shea, the OC that the dolphins just let go. Once Fitzpatrick was locked in as qb they were 13th in points and 8th in total passing yards. Given the lack of talent on oline, rb, qb, and receiving talent outside of parker he was able to put some decent numbers up. Some phins media saying that the playbook was to complex but if you have smart players then this shouldn't be an issue to pick up. Fans are knocking him for not running enough but who was the RB a guy who they traded in Drake, balladge got injured, and then walton beat his girl for the 4th arrest in 12 months. Not to mention that oline is horrid to even allow rbs to run. So I would say he would be someone to look at if daboll gets a job as HC but I highly doubt it happens. I am sure the interest of talent on offense for Browns may look appealing but is Daboll a disciplinary type guy to keep all those personalities in check? Also does he want to even go back to Cleveland as they quickly canned him as OC back in 2010. In the end I think he sticks on and the bills end up keeping him for at least another year.

31 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think Dorsey would be the next option up if they want to continue the process of developing Allen without causing a new playbook to change drastically.

I am kind of intrigued by Chad O'Shea, the OC that the dolphins just let go. Once Fitzpatrick was locked in as qb they were 13th in points and 8th in total passing yards. Given the lack of talent on oline, rb, qb, and receiving talent outside of parker he was able to put some decent numbers up. Some phins media saying that the playbook was to complex but if you have smart players then this shouldn't be an issue to pick up. Fans are knocking him for not running enough but who was the RB a guy who they traded in Drake, balladge got injured, and then walton beat his girl for the 4th arrest in 12 months. Not to mention that oline is horrid to even allow rbs to run. So I would say he would be someone to look at if daboll gets a job as HC but I highly doubt it happens. I am sure the interest of talent on offense for Browns may look appealing but is Daboll a disciplinary type guy to keep all those personalities in check? Also does he want to even go back to Cleveland as they quickly canned him as OC back in 2010. In the end I think he sticks on and the bills end up keeping him for at least another year.

Dorsey would be interesting, though I can't say for sure whether the playbook would change or not. He may have a very different philosophy than Daboll. 

I don't particularly want a first time OC. If Daboll moves on I hope we go with a guy with a proven track record (not that there are a lot of those guys readily available). 

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

If we got Pat Shurmur I would be fine with Daboll leaving. Not sure there is any other clear upgrade available.

Id be all over Kellen Moore. Heck id even take Todd Haley and Freddie Kitchens over Daboll.

Jason Garrett as well but not sure he would be willing to take a OC job.

4 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Id be all over Kellen Moore. Heck id even take Todd Haley and Freddie Kitchens over Daboll.

Jason Garrett as well but not sure he would be willing to take a OC job.

I'd take Moore as well...the most intriguing one on this list IMO. I get that Kitchens was innovative 2 seasons ago, but he allowed things to change significantly this year and not for the better. To be blunt, I don't think he is an upgrade over Daboll at all.

24 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

I'd take Moore as well...the most intriguing one on this list IMO. I get that Kitchens was innovative 2 seasons ago, but he allowed things to change significantly this year and not for the better. To be blunt, I don't think he is an upgrade over Daboll at all.

I think Kitchens is just a much better play caller than a HC. It was stupid of Browns to make him the permanent head coach.

Another interesting name would be Jay Gruden. He could potentially help us get leverage for AJ Green. And he was always a really good OC

I was looking at the offensive line and realized that Quinton Spain missed 2-3 snaps against the Giants this year and hasn't missed any since including week 17. The most impressive thing with playing all those snaps not once did he give up a sack. He had 4 penalties that was the only knock on him. He has been solid for this team and I believe out of the 3 important Free Agents he should be the #1 priority to re-sign.