Our Offense

Buffalo Fan

So Daboll was passed on by the Browns for HC job. What are peoples thoughts on keeping him? Part of me wishes he went because of his bad play calling and refusal to run the ball with Singletary but the other part makes me think this helps with Allen's development of not having to learn a new offense.

12 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

So Daboll was passed on by the Browns for HC job. What are peoples thoughts on keeping him? Part of me wishes he went because of his bad play calling and refusal to run the ball with Singletary but the other part makes me think this helps with Allen's development of not having to learn a new offense.

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." - Vince Lombardi

Point being, sure, Josh may have it easier continuing on with this system, but at his core, Daboll tries too hard to be cute/unpredictable instead of going back to the well until a D can prove they can stop it. Now, I have heard some say that "Daboll abandons the run only after opposing D's stack the box." Yeaaaaaaaah, not exactly. Those D's may stack the box on some plays more frequently after we have had success running the ball, but have not been doing so on every obvious (or less than obvious) running situation. Also, he should be dictating to the defenses, getting them off the balls of their feet, not succumbing to their will. For example, he could put Singletary outside as a receiver and employ quick shifts to get him behind or to the side of Josh an then run the ball. He could pull guards and utilize pitches to get SIngletary outside and behind a block advantage or at least a relatively equal helmet to helmet situation with his blockers.

Ideally, I would like to see him change his play-calling, if not, then leave. Truth is, I doubt that happens as McDermott has stated in interviews that his focus is on winning, whether that happens as a result of 100 passes per game or 100 rushes. He has no concern with balance, only the end result of a W. And while that may be the right answer, the problem is they act as if you can't tell that a one-sided playcalling strategy has failed until it is too late. Yet, somehow, us lay people are picking up on it during the games though, so WTH? Again, as much as I called for his head during the season, upon reflection, maybe the ideal scenario is that we keep Daboll as long as he can recognize his tendency to over-think things and accept (or be ordered) to stick with strategies that are working during the game for a higher percentage of the time.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Honestly, I think we're better off having him as the OC for at least another year. I think some of the play calls are horrific, but I think there are more times than not where he has a good play call lined up, but we fail in execution. I think the fact that Allen loves him does him a world of wonders in the organization. Contrary to popular belief, Allen made major strides this season, and he's not even close to his full potential. Daboll should be able to get even more out of him next year. I believe that having Daboll in Allen's ear is the best thing for this offense, as it doesn't stunt his growth. 

Let's just all collectively hope Gore retires. That way we don't see any more runs up the middle with him on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th & 1. :) 

Is it just me or was Ivory 1,000X better than Gore? Why did we cut him?

1 hour ago, leeevans83d said:

Honestly, I think we're better off having him as the OC for at least another year. I think some of the play calls are horrific, but I think there are more times than not where he has a good play call lined up, but we fail in execution. I think the fact that Allen loves him does him a world of wonders in the organization. Contrary to popular belief, Allen made major strides this season, and he's not even close to his full potential. Daboll should be able to get even more out of him next year. I believe that having Daboll in Allen's ear is the best thing for this offense, as it doesn't stunt his growth. 

Let's just all collectively hope Gore retires. That way we don't see any more runs up the middle with him on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th & 1. :) 

Is it just me or was Ivory 1,000X better than Gore? Why did we cut him?

Gore was good to start the year but got worse as the season went on. I’m fine with drafting a back in the mid rounds again to compliment motor. This is a big off season for us, with what we need to do as far as extending defensive players as well as obtaining an offensive weapon. We need a true number one. I love smoke and Beasley as secondary options, I also think Knox is going to become a top tier tight end in the mold of an Evan Engram type. I think we should throw the house at Amari Cooper, but i don’t think they will, i think they plan on finding that guy in the draft because of how loaded it is at receiver.

The breakdown of runs and plays this year have shown what the bills do correctly. Keep in mind every game was close towards the end and only one game got out of hand and that was after the first half (philly). When bills averaged 28-29 passes a game and ran the ball 24+ carries they won, when they averaged 38+ passes a game and ran 16 carries they lost. So to me this should be the way of looking at things next year, focus on the run game by bringing in another you guy. I am a fan of Cam Akers and could see him going in the 3rd round so I am all for drafting him then and having him and Motor run the ball allowing Allen not to have to throw so much and rely on the defense. Drafting a Wr in the 1st rd then an OLB in the 2nd, Akers in the 3rd and then just loading up on depth. Go in to free agency and pick up a solid TE like Hooper or Henry to compliment Knox and pass rusher should be the two focuses outside of resigning some guys. 

People say its a passing league but if you look at the teams that made the playoffs majority were with an exceptional Rb or Rb corps. Niners, Ravens, Vikings, GB, Texans, titans. So to me I think Daboll needs to focus on getting the "RBs" the ball in 2020

I see us adding a few WR's. I think the staff likes the veterans they have. I see them going after lesser named commodities who are looking for an opportunity and are cheap FA's. Maybe two (Laquon Tredwell,Chester Rodgers, Devin Funchess, Justin Hardy as examples) and then doubling up in the draft.

I have loved Tee Higgins for over a year. I wanted to come in tonight and say that so after he goes off tonight I am not wrongfully accused of jumping on his bandwagon or having recency bias. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I see us adding a few WR's. I think the staff likes the veterans they have. I see them going after lesser named commodities who are looking for an opportunity and are cheap FA's. Maybe two (Laquon Tredwell,Chester Rodgers, Devin Funchess, Justin Hardy as examples) and then doubling up in the draft.

I have loved Tee Higgins for over a year. I wanted to come in tonight and say that so after he goes off tonight I am not wrongfully accused of jumping on his bandwagon or having recency bias. 

The rumor is he wont make it to bills at 22. He has been soaring through scouts and likely a top 10-15 pick. Some have him over guys like lamb or ruggs. I think they need to take a wr. My only concern is will they end up pulling a whaley and trade up for one when its not necessary. This draft is deep at the position and shouldnt be limited to just one wr. Higgins, Laviska, Jefferson all have potential to be that big guy for them if one falls to 22. 

• Like 2

Higgins did not impress me that much the last two games. I know things happen but when you see another clemson Wr go down with injury it leaves a sour taste. Jefferson really didnt get as many looks as I wanted him to get but he did make some solid plays when he got the ball.

I know its not being discussed much but RB behind Motor, I would be all for CEH from LSU or Akers from FSU. Clyde reminds me a lot like MJD and could be a nice threat with Motor resting. Both likely can be had in the 3rd rd.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:13 PM, soflbillsfan said:

The rumor is he wont make it to bills at 22. He has been soaring through scouts and likely a top 10-15 pick. Some have him over guys like lamb or ruggs. I think they need to take a wr. My only concern is will they end up pulling a whaley and trade up for one when its not necessary. This draft is deep at the position and shouldnt be limited to just one wr. Higgins, Laviska, Jefferson all have potential to be that big guy for them if one falls to 22. 

Bills twitter seems to love Laviska. 

With how deep this class is, It wouldn't surprise me to see us wait to round 2 if a Edge player or LB falls to 22. 

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills twitter seems to love Laviska. 

With how deep this class is, It wouldn't surprise me to see us wait to round 2 if a Edge player or LB falls to 22. 

Wouldnt hate Laviska but wouldnt love it. I have him as 6TH best WR.. He's a Sean McDermott type guy, loves to get physical and loves to block and finish blocks lol

My reasonable WR target is Justin Jefferson out of LSU

I think we could grab Lorenzo Alexanders replacement in 1st round and plug whoever into out starting defense immediately than go WR in 2nd

Edited by BillsGuy82

19 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Wouldnt hate Laviska but wouldnt love it. I have him as 6TH best WR.. He's a Sean McDermott type guy, loves to get physical and loves to block and finish blocks lol

My reasonable WR target is Justin Jefferson out of LSU

I think we could grab Lorenzo Alexanders replacement in 1st round and plug whoever into out starting defense immediately than go WR in 2nd

If we go LB in round 1 I hope it is for a guy who plays mainly Edge for us. I also would toy with the idea of moving Milano to Zo's old spot where he has gotten valuable reps and see if one of Joseph, Thompson or a rookie/FA can take the other spot. 

K'Lavon Chaisson at 22 would be awesome. He can stand up and be in Zo's spot on early downs and play DE on obvious passing downs.