Clarkfn's Soggy Game Review 49ers @ Redskins

clarkfn2284

Another win on another Sunday. FedEx was Candlestick light and the 49ers made it their home. Can we pause for a minute to recognize the defense chant in the first quarter from 49ers fans that are taking over visiting stadiums? I know that the 49ers are a bit of a global brand, but the fans that are showing up in droves at visiting stadiums is wild. Also want to shout out Nick Bosa for doing his interview on 49ers Postgame live in his underwear and no shirt outside of the locker room, lol. Let's move along because I think my socks are wet from the game and I need to wring them out.

QB

It's hard to be too picky with Jimmy with the weather being the way that it was, but there are a few things that I liked and a couple that I didn't. First the positive. Jimmy's pocket presence, feel and vision is getting better. Maybe a lot of that is coming with more and more confidence. His scrambles and pocket movement extended the drive at the end of the 1st quarter set a tone. Ironically, it resulted in the missed field goal by Gould, but Jimmy being willing to hang it out there and scramble on 3rd and 7 put a jolt of energy into the team. It was only 20 yards of rushing, but they were impactful plays for the tone of the game. Jimmy was able to manage the game and the conditions and while there wasn't a ton of rhythm to the game he did a good job of hitting guys on some explosive plays to Bourne and James. While they were not huge air yard passes he hit his WR's in stride and on time. I also thought he did a good job of getting through his progressions. Now the ugly. The pick is 50 % on him and 50% on Pettis (I'll have more on him in a bit). HE has to do a better job of holding the safety. Jimmy has to be better there to give his WR a shot at catching the ball without being under duress of a hit. It was a suicide pass that could get your WR killed by a tracking safety. There were times that he didn't have a feel for throwing a wet ball. That was concerning. I try not to harp too hard on it because the weather and field conditions were abysmal, but I just couldn't help but notice his lack of grip on the ball. Does Jimmy have the dreaded small hands?

Grade: C

RB

Another day of tough sledding by this group, but they continue to be the backbone of the offense. Coleman ended up having to be the workhorse after Breida left and I though he handled it well. This group as a whole stayed the course and allowed the offensive line to wear down the Redskins. Good to see Jeff Wilson out there as this was really a game where his style of running played well. No real complaints from this group when facing a tough front 7 in horrendous conditions. Luckily, Breida got out of it without being worse for wear as he will be needed for Carolina.

Grade: Coleman (B-), Breida (C), JW Jr (B-)

WR

This team is in desperate need of a game breaker at this position. Not that it would have made a huge difference in this particular game, but the WR's on this roster just leave so much to be desired. Goodwin is irrelevant and consistently cannot stay on the field. IT was a cheap shot that took him out that absolutely should have drawn a flag, but he has become a player that is just eating a roster spot at this point and the team doesn't do enough to try and get him involved. I really like Richie James and KB. When given opportunities, they make things happen especially after the catch. Dante Pettis is officially in my dog house and I am almost out of patience with him. I see the talent, which makes me not want to give up on him, but he just lacks urgency. The pick Jimmy threw could have been better, but Dante needs to go up and fight for that ball. There is no excuse to not want it more than the defense. Really disappointing performance from him in a game where he could have taken advantage of Deebo being out. However, I will give him a break due to the weather, but going forward he really needs to start stepping up and being more assertive. Also, where was Jordan Matthews? Was he inactive? I didn't look at the inactives for this game.

Grade: Pettis (D), Goodwin (Inc), James (C+), KB (B-)

TE

George Kittle is still the best TE in football. 3 for 39 IIRC was his stat line, but again, the impact of the catches is important. Not a ton to write about, but I wanted to spotlight the little things that Kittle does. I want to say it was the third play of the game. Goodwin had just dropped a ball he tried to pluck out of the air with his hands and Kittle was called on for a third down catch and he bodied the ball and absorbed it for the 1st down. Those little things make a difference. Shout out to Ross Dwelley and Levine Toilolo for each making a catch and for Dwelley stepping in and trying to be the FB. He is struggling there, but I can appreciate his efforts.

Grade: Kittle (A), Dwelley (C), Toilolo (C)

OL

No lie, it was a struggle out there. The Redskins have a very good front 7 and they stood tall for a majority of the game. Jimmy had clean pockets for a good portion of the game, but there were times where the entire OL had struggles. Brunskill game up the sack to Kerrigan, but other than that he looked decent along with Skule. The IOL didn't get a tone of push up front, but continued to battle all day. I understand that the footing made it hard, but I would hope with the advantage of getting off the ball first that the OL would have provided more running lanes. Just an average day from them as a whole.

Grade: Skule (C+), Tomlinson (C), Richburg (C+), Person (C), Brunskill (C)

DL

Once again this DL was very stout and once they corrected a little bit of the undisciplined activity on the first drive, they became almost impossible to move the ball against. The first drive they were getting moved 3-5 yards off the ball and allowing the Redskins OL to get to the second level. Solly got washed out of the play a few times on the first drive and had the offsides call. He did show good jump off the ball on that drive. Armstead had a very good performance and was a big part of why Bosa had such a big day in the TFL category. Dee ford was virtually not seen, but it makes sense in a game where the turf is not suitable for a speed type rusher and the limited opportunities by Washington's refusal to throw downfield. Bosa was still very good. He made a spectacular read on an option pitch to Sims. He had three reads to make on the play and he was able to decipher through the RB, Keenum and then the WR. He stayed home and was able to make a very nice play to end the first drive. Julian Taylor had a nice game as well. It has to be tough to not be active for a month and then get thrust into action. He not only did that, but he played effectively and was a difference maker.

Grade: Bosa (B+), Ford (C), Buckner (B-), Armstead (B+), Taylor (B), Blair (C), Day (C+)

LB

Kwon played his best game as a Niner. It wont show up on the stat sheet, but he was all over the field and had the huge punch out late. Warner was not good on the first drive, but they got it corrected and his angles were much better the rest of the game. Dre Greenlaw did a nice job of setting the outside edge and funneling the play back to the inside on a few run plays. I am a fan of Dre and I can't wait for him to make more impact plays.

Grade: Kwon (A), Warner(B-), Dre (C+)

DB

Not a ton of opportunities on the day so this will be quick. All DBs played well and more importantly they managed to play the game without any slips or allowing anything big due tot he field. Really like what I saw from E-Man. I just see him in a lot of plays. He is involved and around tackles all the time.

Grade: Unit Grade (B+)

S

Tartt and Ward both played well. As I stated above the DB unit as a whole did a great job of managing their footing and not allowing a fluke play on a slip. There was a run early in the game where Ward made a tackle and if he had over pursued it would have went for 6. Just a really good job of understanding the surface and what was required of himself.

Grade: Tartt (B), Ward (B)

ST

Mostert and Harris did a really nice job on kick and punt coverage. Nice day for Wishnowsky. Real tough conditions to punt in. Gould and the entire kick team did a really nice job in the weather. Good to see Gould get 3 of 4 and good to read why he missed the first one and how he adjusted mid game. I think he will be fine going forward, just had to get through the hiccups and get some confidence going again.

Grade: Gould (B), Wishnowsky (B+)

6-0 is great and this team is showing that they can win in any circumstance, which is very important. This team is very, very good. They are bordering on great and could end up being legendary when it is all said and done. Something I found to be interesting and I would like to hear what others have to say about this. I don't feel like the 49ers offense is built to play in these conditions. Shanahan likes to run side to side and stretch out the defense. In games with tough footing and a bad surface Shanahan has to work more in between the tackles and I don't know if this team is built for that. I do like that there was a shift in the offensive approach by the team in the second half.

Finally, I love the way that this team plays and I love the way they are coming together. I love that the team wins and tells you about it. I love a team that embraces being the villain and wants the spotlight. I feel like guys like Sherman, Bosa and Kwon know that they are good and they have no problem letting the world know about it. Bosa is quickly becoming a legend in my house.

Now it is time for a huge tilt with Carolina. There will be a lot of doubters who think this will be the game the 49ers fall, but I just do not see it happening.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Something I found to be interesting and I would like to hear what others have to say about this. I don't feel like the 49ers offense is built to play in these conditions. Shanahan likes to run side to side and stretch out the defense. In games with tough footing and a bad surface Shanahan has to work more in between the tackles and I don't know if this team is built for that. I do like that there was a shift in the offensive approach by the team in the second half.

We will chat about this tonight (with you!), but I don't know that I entirely agree. Will explain later. Gotta drive up some intrigue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My house, too! But do you have a Bosa JERSEY?! I do! :P And I wear it proudly and often! :x

I do not, but it is because as a 35 year old male with an 8 year old Son, I cannot bring myself to have another man's last name on my back, let alone a 21 year old. I need my Son to have respect for me, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I do not, but it is because as a 35 year old male with an 8 year old Son, I cannot bring myself to have another man's last name on my back, let alone a 21 year old. I need my Son to have respect for me, lol.

That battle is already lost, man. Move on!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

5 sons ages 22-10. I am very secure in my dad-hood, thank you. :P

Not about being secure. It's a personal preference. I cant have another mans name on my back. It's weird to me. Especially when it's a 21 year old kid. I'm not fawning over any of these dudes. Go out and perform on the field at the highest level and entertain me is what I want. Love the team, have players I like, but I wont wear the name of someone who would step over me if I was burning.

43 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Not about being secure. It's a personal preference. I cant have another mans name on my back. It's weird to me. Especially when it's a 21 year old kid. I'm not fawning over any of these dudes. Go out and perform on the field at the highest level and entertain me is what I want. Love the team, have players I like, but I wont wear the name of someone who would step over me if I was burning.

That's assuming the worst in people, no matter who it is...yuck. o.O

But to each their own!