Bucketheadsdad

Who ya got?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Browns
    • Still Browns, but in orange
    • Still browns, but in white
    • Hornby
    • Two GOATS that graze in the same field.
    • Jerks, why'd you pick the two GOATS?

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Mayfield is going to look God awful versus this defense.

Like, he might get benched this game.

You hate him so much. He had probably the best passing rookie season since Dan Marino and looked the part of a future hall of famer. Now he has a moron redneck headcoach who makes OBJ look like a scrub. Maybe hes being held back and doesn't suck?

11 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

You hate him so much. He had probably the best passing rookie season since Dan Marino and looked the part of a future hall of famer. Now he has a moron redneck headcoach who makes OBJ look like a scrub. Maybe hes being held back and doesn't suck?

Maybe you’re both overreacting?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Maybe you’re both overreacting?

Yeah, Mayfield has been decent this year (numbers lie) and will be very good at least and Freddie while struggling with the passing game concepts hasn't really looked in over his head in other aspects of coaching which is a departure from the norm.

I'm honestly most worried about what I was most worried about coming into the season which is our ability to stop the run game. I have no doubt our offense and passing game will collect themselves and carry the team. We need leads to stop the run and let our pass rushers work, which haven't exactly been lights out yet either but hopefully that changes too.

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Regression is part of the young QB experience.

There's a lot of QBs that looked like "HOFers" after their rookie years then fell off the wagon. The opposite is true as well. Baker's regression may not be for not if he can grow and fight his way through to the other side of this thing. Nothing is certain yet. after 17-18 starts. At 38-40 starts, we'll know what we have for sure.

Best to hope for the best after a promising start. There's some troubling signs but it can be true that Freddie has done a poor job at times as has Baker.

An impressive performance against New England or a good team will have most feeling like all is right in the world. They'd be wrong as well. 

Only time will tell.

Until then, sit back and enjoy the ride and all its madness.

Edited by Mind Character

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

RGIII and????

1.) There was a second sentence above that completed that thought "There's a lot of QBs that looked like "HOFers" after their rookie years then fell off the wagon. The opposite is true as well."  But the preceding sentence was the Thesis of my point: "Regression is a part of the young QB experience."

2.) I put quotations around "HOFer" b/c the sentence "Baker looked like a HOFer his rookie year" weren't my words or belief as I don't and didn't think RG3 or Baker looked like a "HOFer" or whatever that means after their first year despite their historic production as an 8 game or a few more games sample size isn't predictive of a career. My point was that there are many cases of QBs looking like "good-great potential Franchise QBs" in year 1 or early career that regress or seriously regress aka "fall off the wagon" and don't turn out to fulfill their early promise as time progresses.

In the light of QBs that looked like good-great Franchise QBs within their first 16 games (this of course could stretch over 2 seasons) a few come to mind off the top of my head: Marcus Mariota, Jameis WInston, Blake Bortles, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Marc Bulger.

3.) Just isolating historic rookie QB performances isn't informative because there's a reason why young QBs don't achieve historic success or look good beyond their just inexperience: That is, they are usually on terrible teams because of where they were drafted. 

4.) In general my point was my point:

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Regression is part of the young QB experience.

Nothing is certain yet. after 17-18 starts. At 38-40 starts, we'll know what we have for sure.

Only time will tell.

Until then, sit back and enjoy the ride and all its madness.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

CLE need to run the ball a lot. Our pass defense (whether it's pass rush or coverage) has been better than we've ever had it. we are confusing QBs, we are deep in the secondary and the pass rush is consistently getting home. If we DON'T take Chubb and the run game away, you could be in. Our D hasn't yet had a period where it's on the field a lot. If we see our D out there drive after drive, we'll know something's gone wrong.

You can get to Brady, because our OL has been pretty crap, especially the ends. If you can't cover the receivers though, forget it. Ball is out around 2 seconds. Do the opposite of what NYJ did and play tight coverage - even half a second more coverage can make all the difference, because of our OL. 

We are also due one of 'those' games. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see CLE win. If so, just please don't do to us what you did to BAL forum (even though that was pretty hilarious :D )

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

1.) There was a second sentence above that completed that thought "There's a lot of QBs that looked like "HOFers" after their rookie years then fell off the wagon. The opposite is true as well."  But the preceding sentence was the Thesis of my point: "Regression is a part of the young QB experience."

2.) I put quotations around "HOFer" b/c the sentence "Baker looked like a HOFer his rookie year" weren't my words or belief as I don't and didn't think RG3 or Baker looked like a "HOFer" or whatever that means after their first year despite their historic production as an 8 game or a few more games sample size isn't predictive of a career. My point was that there are many cases of QBs looking like "good-great potential Franchise QBs" in year 1 or early career that regress or seriously regress aka "fall off the wagon" and don't turn out to fulfill their early promise as time progresses.

In the light of QBs that looked like good-great Franchise QBs within their first 16 games (this of course could stretch over 2 seasons) a few come to mind off the top of my head: Marcus Mariota, Jameis WInston, Blake Bortles, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Marc Bulger.

3.) Just isolating historic rookie QB performances isn't informative because there's a reason why young QBs don't achieve historic success or look good beyond their just inexperience: That is, they are usually on terrible teams because of where they were drafted. 

4.) In general my point was my point:

None of those names except RG3 really had a great rookie season. Bulge was on the practice squad or the rams his rookie year wasn’t he?

MC said it best - Once we are done with the cycle of the league adjusting to Baker, and Baker adjusting back (40 games is pretty accurate), we will know for sure. I don't see a way to short cut it.

I remember Bill Cowher having consecutive 5-11 and 6-10 seasons - but the Steelers didn't panic. Cowher went on to win 2 Super Bowls. We need to resist the urge to have knee jerk reactions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

CLE need to run the ball a lot. Our pass defense (whether it's pass rush or coverage) has been better than we've ever had it. we are confusing QBs, we are deep in the secondary and the pass rush is consistently getting home. If we DON'T take Chubb and the run game away, you could be in. Our D hasn't yet had a period where it's on the field a lot. If we see our D out there drive after drive, we'll know something's gone wrong.

You can get to Brady, because our OL has been pretty crap, especially the ends. If you can't cover the receivers though, forget it. Ball is out around 2 seconds. Do the opposite of what NYJ did and play tight coverage - even half a second more coverage can make all the difference, because of our OL. 

We are also due one of 'those' games. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see CLE win. If so, just please don't do to us what you did to BAL forum (even though that was pretty hilarious :D )

We only did that because of all the trash talk Baltimore fans were talking up to that point.

Like I've said, I think we have the talent to beat you guys, but it won't matter if we keep playing like we have all season. We've shot ourselves in the foot over and over again this season, and it's hard to beat any team when you do that, but it's damn near impossible to beat Bill Belichick and the Patriots when you play a sloppy football game.

• Like 1

We have talent to beat any team in the NFL.....and I am the only one that's getting Ammped for this game.......

giphy.gif

Were 2-4.....at this juncture I was expecting us to be 3-3 (thought we would beat the 49ers or Titans...at the beginning of the season)....but the Pats are coming off a Short week, and were coming off a Bye week. I like the upswing the team seems to be on and this is the perfect week to prove what our talent looks like when it plays as a team.

If we loose this game....we were supposed to loose this game......Season is still not over. But if we win.......BOY IF WIN!!!!!

giphy.gif

The Pats look Damn near unbeatable......their secondary is playing at a different level....but a couple things....we can run the ball and play Defense....AND we will be healthy this weekend....this will be the first week since Tenn that we have had our starting 2ndary AND starting Wr corps intact...

giphy.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pnies20 said:

None of those names except RG3 really had a great rookie season. Bulge was on the practice squad or the rams his rookie year wasn’t he?

He might have been on the practice squad I can't recall. Again though, the point isn't really about the "rookie year per se" but more so about their first 16-20 starts. I do think that based on performance within that time frame of early career, most people thought Jameis, Mariota, and Bulger were going to have great careers.

Also, it's not informative to me to say things like "Josh Rosen or [Insert Rookie QB Name Here] didn't have a good/great rookie season so he's not a franchise QB," because so many things effect the success of a rookie QB with the main factor often being that the Rookie QB is on a terrible team with a terrible offensive line. Predicting future success based on performance in the first 16-20 starts has a lot to do with the flashes and whether or not one thinks such flashes are sustainable over time.

Ultimately, a 16 o 20 game sample size isn't really predictive of anything (good or bad) based on the history of the NFL.

15 hours ago, roger murdock said:

They should have just kept the guy that had Baker looking so good last year...