Texans acquire Gareon Conley for 3rd Rounder

BayRaider

6 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

What I'm saying is, he's not better than anything they have currently. Maybe Key.

Vic had 15.5 sacks a couple of years ago. That is probably more combined in one season for him than everyone we have as a pass rusher combined in their career. I don't want to look up the sack numbers but I feel confident in saying that. I'm not even a Vic fan, but he is more talented then most if not all the pass rushers the Raiders have and that's just a fact. 

Peterson doesn't make as much sense. between Johnson, Nixon or Mullen, one of them can easily replace conleys production (this year), Conley wasn't a stud for us this far.

I can see us going to get a wr. No one's talking about it but it is a huge hole, and gruden and mayock were very vocal about getting Carr the proper tools needed to succeed, and then everything we had at wr fell through. 

Yannick or calais campell or kerrigan make sense. I'd bet we try to get one of them. Melvin igram kinda does, but trading within the division is hard. Vic is the cheapest of them all, so that makes sense too. 

Xavien Howard and Carlos Dunlap make the most sense as acquisition targets for us imo, given the other team would have to be a seller and the Bengals and Dolphins should count as that. Howard as fire sale Dolphins, Dunlap as a former Paul Guenther guy.

• Like 2

Not too surprising considering who the Raiders drafted at corner and how bad Conley has been this year. I was skeptical of the Conley pick when it happened not because of the allegation of sexual assault hanging over him but just how physically weak of a player he was at Ohio State and remained in the NFL. Couple his liability in run support with his average at best coverage ability and you don't have a player with must starting value.

Both Isaiah Johnson and Nelson Mullins are very physical corners who not only are capable of challenging receivers at the line, but they are also willing and able to help in run support--which is becoming increasingly important in the NFL with the amount of WR screens and outside running taking place.

I liked Conley but he was RM's so...Not unexpected and a 3rd is good, but trading him for Clowney makes sense in hindsight. LOL I love hindsight. 9_9

I think were giving up our 1st for multiple players moving to multiple teams. If so, that will be entertaining. Keep Bears 1st as Gruden is making a playoff push and 3 thirds means trading up into 2nd is easy. This will be an interesting week of speculation. :D

Mayock, Gruden and Co. want dogs. They want alphas who love to play football. Look at the players they've aquired. Conley was a pretty passive guy. Played that way as well. 

As for this "big trade" how many times do we see this stuff and it never comes to pass? Who out there is worth trading for? Raiders honestly shouldn't be buyers, but sellers right now IMO

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mayock, Gruden and Co. want dogs. They want alphas who love to play football. Look at the players they've aquired. Conley was a pretty passive guy. Played that way as well. 

As for this "big trade" how many times do we see this stuff and it never comes to pass? Who out there is worth trading for? Raiders honestly shouldn't be buyers, but sellers right now IMO

Agree with all of this. 

And as much as it’s painful, we should definitely be sellers. Not some big fire sale of course. Just mild sellers. 

We aren’t there yet. 

Vic Beasley? What the hell is wrong with you all? I loved him coming out, but 1) He's not a DE so where do he fit? 2) He's been pretty poor as a pass rusher outside one season 3) He absolutely can't play the run 4) He's been the biggest disappointment in ATL for years now. 

Maybe Deon Jones if you want in on Atlanta's fire sale. Hard pass on Beasley.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Edit: didn't mean to quote, stupid tablet.

Anyway, not too surprised by this move. Decent value in return especially if you compare it to other recent trades.

As for Beasley, hell no!! I understand some are desperation mode for pass rush, but that's exactly what it is. 

Now when I heard the trade my first thought was turning that pick around for AJ Green or Diggs. Carlos Dunlap also makes a lot of sense.

I don't know if we could swing Howard unless we are giving up a first and I really don't want to do that. I want two first rounders next draft for a WR and LB/DE. Keep building youth through the draft.

Edited by true2form
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Vic Beasley? What the hell is wrong with you all? I loved him coming out, but 1) He's not a DE so where do he fit? 2) He's been pretty poor as a pass rusher outside one season 3) He absolutely can't play the run 4) He's been the biggest disappointment in ATL for years now. 

Maybe Deon Jones if you want in on Atlanta's fire sale. Hard pass on Beasley.

0 interest in Beasley, unless he is basically given away.  Really there aren’t that many guys I’d trade much for right now.  We still have a ways to go on building that D and trading away too many picks makes it hard to get young guys and on rookie deals.  

• Like 1

I liked Conley. I hoped he would be part of the answer. However, while there have been some very good games, there have been some pretty average to bad games as well. I can't be mad we traded him for a 3rd as he didn't consistently play to that high standard that made him impossible to trade. He has the skills to be a top CB and may yet become one but that is by no means a given and Grudock obviously felt they could move on with some good young Corners in the wings.

I will say that trading him to a team the week before you play them is down right weird, but hey-ho - we are the Raiders! :)

Yesterday's game showed us our offense is already good, and with some more talent at wide-out can be truly special. It also showed us that our defense just can't stop a good offense (at all) so some churn of players is not necessarily a bad thing. We have some good young talent, and a lot of decent players, but we lack difference makers on that side of the ball. Conley was a decent talent, but rarely has been a difference maker.