How To Fix A Broken Offense......

soulman

The Bears have no answers for broken offense

by Alyssa Barbieri

What's wrong with the Chicago Bears' offense?

Everything.

Sorry, maybe the correct question to ask here is: How the heck are the Bears going to fix their broken offense that's arguably the worst in the NFL?

If you ask Bears coach Matt Nagy, he has no idea. Which isn't good for the guy tasked with running -- and now fixing -- the offense.

“I’d love to give you more answers,” he said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I just know: not good.”

Well, if Nagy doesn't know the answer, what about his struggling quarterback?

“I mean, right now we have no identity,” Mitch Trubisky said, via the Sun-Times. “We’re just searching. We don’t have any rhythm. We’re not the offense we were last year."

Well, okay then. So no one knows, which again, is not a good sign as the final 10 games of the regular season loom.

"We’ve just got to find ways, look within ourselves, and we’ve got to have guys step up," Trubisky said. “All I know how to do is look at myself first; how can I get better this week, how can I step up and make my teammates better, and how can I help fix this offense.”

Tell us Mitch, how can you help fix this offense?

You already know the answer to that though, don't you? And if you don't, well, there-in lies the problem.

As the Bears attempt to recover from the nightmare that was Sunday's 36-25 loss to the New Orleans Saints, no one really knows how to fix this broken offense.

Instead, we'll get another week where Nagy and Trubisky talk about how the offense had a great week of practice that didn't seem to translate to gameday, which now has the offense in a tailspin.

Practice? They're talking about practice. But practice doesn't win you games. Not unless you actually transfer it to actual games, which we've yet to see this season.

There's not just one area of concern to pinpoint for the offense's struggles. It would be easier if there was just one. Instead, it's Trubisky; it's the offensive line; it's the running backs; it's the wide receivers; it's the tight ends; it's the play caller.

Nagy knows what's wrong with the offense. It's been right in front of him since that bad omen of a season opener against the Green Bay Packers.

Now, it's up to Nagy to fix things -- if he can.

• Like 1

Ya' know it's really not a good sign at all when both your offensive minded HC AND your starting QB have no better answers than this.

Per Matt Nagy: “I’d love to give you more answers,” he said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I just know: not good.”

And Mitch, a trite non-specific pap analysis like this ain't gonna cut it anymore.  Time to man up or be gone.

"We’ve just got to find ways, look within ourselves, and we’ve got to have guys step up," Trubisky said. “All I know how to do is look at myself first; how can I get better this week, how can I step up and make my teammates better, and how can I help fix this offense.”

When you finally realize the two people most responsible for "stepping up" and solving the problem don't seem to have a single specific thought of how to do it between them then you also finally realize just how bad this season is likely to get before it's over.

Maybe it's time to realize "Just be yourself" was last years mantra and we badly need a new one for 2019 because if this is 53 guys just being themselves we're back in the Trestman/Fox eras all over again.  We don't need a new HC we need new thinking.

11 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ya' know it's really not a good sign at all when both your offensive minded HC AND your starting QB have no better answers than this.

Per Matt Nagy: “I’d love to give you more answers,” he said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I just know: not good.”

And Mitch, a trite non-specific pap analysis like this ain't gonna cut it anymore.  Time to man up or be gone.

When you finally realize the two people most responsible for "stepping up" and solving the problem don't seem to have a single specific thought of how to do it between them then you also finally realize just how bad this season is likely to get before it's over.

Maybe it's time to realize "Just be yourself" was last years mantra and we badly need a new one for 2019 because if this is 53 guys just being themselves we're back in the Trestman/Fox eras all over again.  We don't need a new HC we need new thinking.

It honestly doesn't matter what Nagy says. That's all noise, the only thing that matters is action. Will he make the right move and put in Chase as the starter?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

It honestly doesn't matter what Nagy says. That's all noise, the only thing that matters is action. Will he make the right move and put in Chase as the starter?

I'm usually not a "put in the back up guy." I actually hate those fans.

But yeah, put in Daniel. Why not? Even though he didn't score much vs Minnesota, the offense at least moved the ball here and there. He made poor throws vs Oakland, but he also threw 2 touchdowns and he also, again, moved the chains here and there. I can tell you that in either game they didn't have 5 first downs halfway through the 4th quarter.

Edited by beardown3231

How to fix a broken offense?

I don't know if there is a single move that can make our offense even average, but the example I can think of would be how the Colts revamped their offensive line within a single draft (2018). It's unfortunate that Luck retired, but they are still playing good football without him because of the pickups of Nelson (LG) in the first and Braden Smith (RT) in the second during that draft (they also got All-Pro Leonard in the 2nd rd.)

Retooling this offensive line should be of top priority which has been neglected for a long time. Drafting one QB isn't going to solve all the problems, the foundation has to be laid for success before we even acquire a new QB. Even though we don't have a first round pick, in the second round interior lineman can be had. Also, if we can find a tackle that can start on the right side and groomed over a few years to play left that would be a good long term move.

I look at the situation and we haven't spend any high draft capital on a Tackle since Tayo Fabuluje (funny name) in only the 6th round in 2015. Before that was Leno a year earlier in the 7th round.

Retooling the offensive line will help both the running and passing game.

Edited by BACK2MACKSACK
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

So far no or at least no based on what he's been saying.  Gotta wonder when or if Pace steps into it all though. 3-3 isn't panic time in most cases but when you can't see any chance of much improvement by staying on this course someone should mention that besides the media and the fans.  We may be far less biased toward Mitch than they are right now.

Tough to fix a broken car by still driving it each week instead of sending it to the shop for repairs.

34 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I don't know if there is a single move that can make our offense even average, but the example I can think of would be how the Colts revamped their offensive line within a single draft (2018). It's unfortunate that Luck retired, but they are still playing good football without him because of the pickups of Nelson (LG) in the first and Braden Smith (RT) in the second during that draft (they also got All-Pro Leonard in the 2nd rd.)

Retooling this offensive line should be of top priority which has been neglected for a long time. Drafting one QB isn't going to solve all the problems, the foundation has to be laid for success before we even acquire a new QB. Even though we don't have a first round pick, in the second round interior lineman can be had. Also, if we can find a tackle that can start on the right side and groomed over a few years to play left that would be a good long term move.

I look at the situation and we haven't spend any high draft capital since Tayo Fabuluje (funny name) in only the 6th round in 2015. Before that was Leno a year earlier in the 7th round.

Don't know why you say that.  Whitehair was a 2nd round pick in 2016 and Daniels a 2nd round pick in 2018.

After we just handed out contract extensions to both OTs and Whitehair how do we re-tool the OL?

Massie can't be replaced 'til at least 2021and Leno 'til 2022 without significant dead cap hits.  About all you can do here is ask them to play like their contracts call for them to play.  Whitehair is now our best OL so we don't want to replace him and Daniels is only in his second season and cheap on his rookie deal.

The OL is under performing right now and the question is why?

Long is now shelved and probably done for good.  The injuries took their toll and he wasn't cutting it any longer.  But what about the rest?  Is it the scheme?  Are they being asked to play against their strengths?  Has swapping Whitehair and Daniels hurt more than helped?  What does HH say?  He's one of the very best OL coaches around but he's not the guy playing each Sunday.

Coward is looking to take over Long's spot at RG and we activated Alex Bars whom I'd like to see get some work at OT as well as OG.  I'm not saying don't draft OL but spending more than one higher pick on an OL when most of the OL is locked in via their contracts won't help much unless we can trade those guys and that's kind of silly since they've all played well before.

So the answer must be found elsewhere.

Edited by soulman

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Don't know why you say that.  Whitehair was a 2nd round pick in 2016 and Daniels a 2nd round pick in 2018.

After we just handed out contract extensions to both OTs and Whitehair how do we re-tool the OL?

Massie can't be replaced 'til at least 2021and Leno 'til 2022 without significant dead cap hits.  About all you can do here is ask them to play like their contracts call for them to play.  Whitehair is now our best OL so we don't want to replace him and Daniels is only in his second season and cheap on his rookie deal.

The OL is under performing right now and then question is why?

Long is now shelved and probably done for good.  The injuries took their toll and he wasn't cutting it any longer.  But what about the rest?  Is it the scheme?  Are they being asked to play against their strengths?  Has swapping Whitehair and Daniels hurt more than helped?  What does HH say?  He's one of the very best OL coaches around but he's not the guy playing each Sunday.

Coward is looking to take over Long's spot at RG and we activated Alex Bars whom I'd like to see get some work at OT as well as OG.  I'm not saying don't draft OL but spending more than one higher pick on an OL when most of the OL is locked in via their contracts won't help much unless we can trade those guys and that's kind of silly since they've all played well before.

So the answer must be found elsewhere.

I meant to say that we haven't specifically spent picks on Tackle.

2 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I meant to say that we haven't specifically spent picks on Tackle.

True but 'til recently Leno has been a very dependable starter at LT whose never missed time with any serious injuries and after a horrible start Massie had played well enough at RT to have earned a nice extension last year.  I truly don't believe it's a lack of talent.  That's not the main problem.

This team is lacking offensive leadership at QB and Nagy appears to be hesitant to make a change and at least temporarily pull the plug on Mitch until he can get his **** together IF he can get his **** together.  So there is a leadership void at HC as well.  Nagy is hesitant to do what most feel he should do.  Bench Trubisky for a bit and give up the play calling to someone else.

IMHO his stubbornness on both counts is costing us morale problems and games.

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

True but 'til recently Leno has been a very dependable starter at LT whose never missed time with any serious injuries and after a horrible start Massie had played well enough at RT to have earned a nice extension last year.  I truly don't believe it's a lack of talent.  That's not the main problem.

This team is lacking offensive leadership at QB and Nagy appears to be hesitant to make a change and at least temporarily pull the plug on Mitch until he can get his **** together IF he can get his **** together.  So there is a leadership void at HC as well.  Nagy is hesitant to do what most feel he should do.  Bench Trubisky for a bit and give up the play calling to someone else.

IMHO his stubbornness on both counts is costing us morale problems and games.

Even though our coaching and QB play have been bad, I think we have enough talent to have at least one game with a 70 yard rusher. This offense have been bad at both phases. The problem is that when you're not moving the chains, you cannot commit to the run and this also results in a defense playing worse due to less rest.

So why aren't we moving the chains? It can't all fall on the QB because our running game has also been atrocious.

Is it lack of TE? This is one problem because we find ourselves in tough down and distances and lack the reliable threat to move the chains. Burton has shown regression and we need to stop being content with average or bad TE's and get a legit endzone threat to help our QB regardless of who it is going forward.

It can't be WR or RB.

Finally Offensive Line. I really think this is the culprit of our offense because we should at least be average running or passing for it to be serviceable. We have stunk at both phases despite having a core of really good offensive weapons.

I believe that the entire offense doesn't fall on one guy and if Mitch was truly the problem we should have beaten the lowly Raiders. The way they were gashing us on those runs just shows how pathetic our O Line is compared to even an average offensive line.

Edited by BACK2MACKSACK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I look at the situation and we haven't spend any high draft capital on a Tackle since Tayo Fabuluje (funny name) in only the 6th round in 2015. Before that was Leno a year earlier in the 7th round.

Costanzo has been damn good at LT I believe. 

The drafting OTs point is the same gripe I brought up. Pace has drafted 2 OT since he came here. Fabujule and Morgan. That's it. Meanwhile he has drafted 5 WRs,  5 RBs, and 5 S. That's poor planning IMO. 

Edit - autocorrect took OT and put it as OL. 

Edited by Sugashane

It's simple: run the damn ball!  We ran the ball 7 times yesterday, Trubisky threw it 53 times, we're not winning any games like that.  Not to mention Trubisky is 1-7 in games in which he throws 35+ times.  We traded up to draft Montgomery to be a 5 carry guy?  He needs 15-20 carries every game.  Cohen and Davis 5-10 carries each.  Teams like Baltimore and SF who are run heavy teams have winning records.  In yesterdays game, we had 9 straight pass plays, 4 were completed.  We had 5 out of 6 possessions resulting in a 3 and out.  That hurts our D being on the field too long.  Mitch can be a good QB, but he needs a solid run game, and we're not seeing it.  So far this year we've had 235 passes and 125 runs.  We need to run the ball.  If we're down 7-0, run the ball.  We go down 2 scores, run the ball.  We're down 31-0, run the ball.  We don't need to throw it 30+ times every game, that's why we're not winning, or barely winning.  The run-pass balance doesn't need to be exactly 50-50, but we should have more runs than passes.   

• Like 1

Even in the absence of a true running game (imo mostly because we have zero running lanes) I thought the entire reason we got Davis/Montgomery/Cohen combo for the backfield was to be able to do more Matt Forte-esque checkdown RB dump off passes.

I mean right now, we're either still using them exactly how we used Jordan Howard as a pure RB, or we're lining them up out wide and playing them at WR.